The Oregon and Wherigo

plkapmaj

I have an Oregon 400T and went last weekend to do my first Wherigo cache (GC1A96A- Fort Toulouse - Fort Jackson Tour) I got there and nothing would work right, many of the problems I had have been mentioned here on other posts by other Oregon owners for other caches like "a list of locations for navigation appeared, with "infinite" number of locations, all of them named "/" or "(". The the Wherigo application falls down and when restarted the saved game cannot be loaded."

I came home and noticed that the software needed to be updated for the Oregon and I have done that. I now have the version 2.58 software, I think it was 2.00 before.

My question is do you think this was the problem? The Wherigo cache I mentioned is about 70 miles from my home and I hate to go all the way back there if my odds of completing cache are the same as before.

I have not read that anyone else has had a problem with this cache I tried.

Many thanks for your input

I'd suggest contacting a few of the cachers who have completed the cartridge and ask them which GPSr and firmware version they used. If someone says they have an Oregon with 2.58 (or close to it), it might be worthwhile to give it another try.

You may also want to try bringing someone else with you or meet at the cartridge so you could do it together, preferably someone you know with a Colorado. Not only will you have a better chance to complete the cartridge, but you'll also enjoy someone's company.

Ranger Fox has the best solution, of course, if all else fails, NAD the cartridge is emulator compatible, you could play the cartridge over the phone.

I do not know what you mean but I think by updating the software on my Oregon I will be able to complete this Wherigo cache, from what I have read and from what others have told me this was most likely the problem. I hope to get back over there in the next few weeks and give it another go. Thanks for your help.

Ranger Fox has the best solution, of course, if all else fails, NAD the cartridge is emulator compatible, you could play the cartridge over the phone.

I do not know what you mean but I think by updating the software on my Oregon I will be able to complete this Wherigo cache, from what I have read and from what others have told me this was most likely the problem. I hope to get back over there in the next few weeks and give it another go. Thanks for your help.

If the cartridge can be played in the emulator, someone sitting in front of a computer can run the cartridge for you while you gather the information on site.

I have an Oregon 400T and went last weekend to do my first Wherigo cache (GC1A96A- Fort Toulouse - Fort Jackson Tour)

Late response, but you're not alone. This Wherigo apparently does not (currently) work on the Oregon. Some just don't, apparently because they use more emory than the Oregon is willing to cough up.

We've emailed bamageek about it, we'll see if he comes up with a solution.