Earthmate PN-40SE for sale

I have a PN-40SE (8GB) that was returned to me by DeLorme after initially having one with power issues. This one does not have the power issue and works perfectly. I have a li-ion battery, USB cable, lanyard, and all CD's that came with it. I am asking $350 + shipping but you can also make an offer.

Edited by mdionne81
...A good price, I bought my non-SE for that price a few months back!
No, not really. The price you paid "a few months back" is irrelevant for almost any tech gadget as prices and models change so quickly.

Today, you can get a brand new PN-40 for $250, 16 GB SD for $40, and Li-Ion battery w/charger for $50 .

If you can get all this new for $340, how is a used kit at $350+shippping a good deal?

I have a PN-40SE (8GB) that was returned to me by DeLorme after initially having one with power issues. This one does not have the power issue and works perfectly. I have a li-ion battery, USB cable, lanyard, and all CD's that came with it. I am asking $350 + shipping but you can also make an offer.

I have been looking for a pn-40 the SE has 8 GB ram the ones that are 250 only have 500 MB that is a good price.

I have been looking for a pn-40 the SE has 8 GB ram the ones that are 250 only have 500 MB that is a good price.
An 8GB SD card retails for $20; 16GB is $40. Sometmes cheaper if you watch for bargains.

http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/Secure-D...SD/30/16GB.html

If you want PN-40SE because it's a "collector's item" -- DeLorme stopped making it -- then go for it. A "fair" price is whatever the market will bear. But that's not necessarily a "good" price.

...A good price, I bought my non-SE for that price a few months back!
No, not really. The price you paid "a few months back" is irrelevant for almost any tech gadget as prices and models change so quickly.

Today, you can get a brand new PN-40 for $250, 16 GB SD for $40, and Li-Ion battery w/charger for $50 .

If you can get all this new for $340, how is a used kit at $350+shippping a good deal?

MAINLY because it's the "SE" as opposed to the NON-SE you are speaking of. I mention the price I paid merely as reference how much the prices have fallen, but this is still a great deal considering they were what? About $500 not too long ago? And, just so all understand...the added memory is NEVER a bad thing and you can STILL use the card as well...bonus! Think of it as buying a larger hard drive for your comruter...and think of how that relates to the price of said computer. Also, they might have stopped selling the SE, they still make the normal model, no worries there!

Unless the OP is mistaken about it being an SE?

Edited by Rockin Roddy
...because it's the "SE" ...
So? Do the knobs go up to 11?

Extra memory can't account for it. An 8GB SD card is $20 retail, 16GB is $40. Buy a regular PN-40, a bigger memory card, an extra battery, charger, case, etc... -- all the stuff DeLorme packed with the SE -- and you can still get a complete new kit for less than the OP is asking here. Also, the OP didn't mention it, but the SE came with Topo 7 software -- and a new model comes with Topo 8.

This might be a good deal at $250 delivered; maybe as high as $300. But not $350 plus shipping.

Edited by lee_rimar

As stated in the original post, offers are welcome for anyone wanting a PN-40 SE that has only been used to make sure that it does not have the power issue some PN-40's had. With the PN-40 starting to support navionics cards (check DeLorme's user forum to sign up for the public beta) that 8GB of internal memory could come in handy for someone.

Edited by mdionne81
...because it's the "SE" ...
So? Do the knobs go up to 11?

Extra memory can't account for it. An 8GB SD card is $20 retail, 16GB is $40. Buy a regular PN-40, a bigger memory card, an extra battery, charger, case, etc... -- all the stuff DeLorme packed with the SE -- and you can still get a complete new kit for less than the OP is asking here. Also, the OP didn't mention it, but the SE came with Topo 7 software -- and a new model comes with Topo 8.

This might be a good deal at $250 delivered; maybe as high as $300. But not $350 plus shipping.

You're forgetting the 3rd party software compatibility currently under development where the SD slot will be used for the 3rd party software. The extra RAM in place will allow more storage for local maps if the user so chooses.

IF the user is not going to or even anticipate using 3rd party software, then your post has relevance. On it's own, it is only half the story.

With that said, I didn't buy mine for 3rd party software futures, I bought it cuz I just had to have the bigger one while the funds were available. :rolleyes:

TL, that's an awfully small niche -- the user who wants/needs a couple of states worth of streets, topo, and maybe aerial imagery loaded at the same time as waterway/nav charts (that aren't available yet, except in beta) installed on an SD card.

You say even you didn't buy your SE for that -- you just wanted the big one. If you were in the market today, would you pay $350 for a used SE with Topo 7 in the box? Or around $300 for a new PN with Topo 8 in the box and a bigger memory card?

TL, that's an awfully small niche -- the user who wants/needs a couple of states worth of streets, topo, and maybe aerial imagery loaded at the same time as waterway/nav charts (that aren't available yet, except in beta) installed on an SD card.

You say even you didn't buy your SE for that -- you just wanted the big one. If you were in the market today, would you pay $350 for a used SE with Topo 7 in the box? Or around $300 for a new PN with Topo 8 in the box and a bigger memory card?

I'd say, if you're interested in the unit, you should possibly make a bid as the OP has stated the price is flexible. Or were you just ragging on the price? :rolleyes:

...Or were you just ragging on the price? :rolleyes:
No more than you're defending it. Come to think of it, I wasn't even the first one to mention that the price was a bit high compared to new units. That was Packanac. And you injected your opinion on it before I did.

Are you interested in buying a used PN-40SE at $350? Or are you still trying to scrape together ten bucks for Cache Register? :mad::D

Edited by lee_rimar
...Or were you just ragging on the price? :rolleyes:
No more than you're defending it. Come to think of it, I wasn't even the first one to mention that the price was a bit high compared to new units. That was Packanac. And you injected your opinion on it before I did.

Are you interested in buying a used PN-40SE at $350? Or are you still trying to scrape together ten bucks for Cache Register? :D:)

I'm fairly certain the OP appreciates you bumping their thread, more people will see the sales. As for your snipes, well, I'll take them as they are knowing where they come from! If you're worried about me getting CR, I'm all for you buying it for me, then you'll have on less thing to snipe about! :mad: Oh wait...it was :o

Also, had you read the remarks I made, you'd know I am not in the market, but I'm also not knocking another's sales which I feel is pretty rude! I merely commented that the person questioning the sales had the wrong unit and corrected that point....but I am happy to defend against your remarks as well! I would add that maybe you should take your snipes to PM as I'm sure you'd hate to bump this person's sales further...right? I'll be happy to share pleasantries with you there!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

When you say Li-Ion battery, is this the power pak battery?

When you say Li-Ion battery, is this the power pak battery?

This is the Li-ion battery that you can purchase in DeLorme's Earthmate GPS PN-Series Power Kit.

Considering the SE is not available commercially, I would still go after the SE with the packagae as offered. The extra memory still affords me built-in flexibility the standard model does not provide. You must look ahead to possibilities, not the here and now or you will find yourself in desire of an upgrade too soon after the purchase.

The current offering IS a small niche. But it is the first of what I see as a future trend.

I'll also add LR, I have always promoted and followed the philosophy of buy the most you can afford. The SE is the most you can buy. Memory upgrades easily follow, but you can not take a standard model and add the 7GB memory to equal the SE. The SE will always be a step ahead until something else comes along with more memory.

Your approach reminds me of when I bought my first PC and I was told it would be all I would ever need. It was the first mistake I made at economy purchasing when it came to computers.

Edited by TotemLake

That's a good point -- The point about maybe wanting/needing more memory. But it doesn't change how I feel about this one item as appealing to a "tiny niche" for now and the foreseeable future. Doesn't mean it won't sell -- just that the price won't be a bargain for most people and it'll only appeal to the person who really wants/needs that specific feature.

This here IS a garage sale, after all. That chromed air-filter cover I found down the street at a garage sale last week struck ME as silly and over priced -- but probably delighted the car buff who bought it.

That's a good point -- The point about maybe wanting/needing more memory. But it doesn't change how I feel about this one item as appealing to a "tiny niche" for now and the foreseeable future. Doesn't mean it won't sell -- just that the price won't be a bargain for most people and it'll only appeal to the person who really wants/needs that specific feature.

This here IS a garage sale, after all. That chromed air-filter cover I found down the street at a garage sale last week struck ME as silly and over priced -- but probably delighted the car buff who bought it.

Fair enough.