signing log

If this thread deteriorates any further, I may have to give one of my freakily high-pitched screams and, let me warn you, you won't like it! :lol:

Can we just drag this back to the simple, polite question asked by the OP?

I am vertically challenged and sometimes I am unable to retrieve the cache. I will have touched it however.

I did this today and logged that I had touched it but couldn't retrieve it. I got an email from the owner saying I couldn't count it unless I signed. Is this correct?

Hi, carolehu

I hope that somewhere in this thread you were satisfied by the various answers and opinions that were given.

Well done on going back there and signing the actual log - I hope you got the warm, fuzzy feeling :D

Happy Caching :mad:

MrsB

Thanks for asking. I had no idea I would start such a storm with my question. I just want to cache. I seems like such a nice way to be outside and find wonderful places. I am glad I went back and persevered and was able to finally get it (4th time there).

C

Thanks for asking. I had no idea I would start such a storm with my question. I just want to cache. I seems like such a nice way to be outside and find wonderful places. I am glad I went back and persevered and was able to finally get it (4th time there).

C

BTW, there isn't anything wrong with being undertall. I happen to like my women a little on the short side.

:lol:

reading this topic made me giggle a bit as my step father is a disabled vet and cant climb trees for high up caches. i could just imagine him just cutting the tree down with his chainsaw and logging it as needing maintenance. :lol:

Haha, thats friken priceless... I hear ya...

But back on topic, if I were in the situation where I had a cache and someone could not reach it but e-mailed me or posted something that they went to the cords saw it, gave me a desc of it (where and how it was hid) and maybe posted a pic of it, I think I'd go ahead and let them log it and not lose any sleep...

This ""Geocaching"" is many things to many people.... To me, one of the things it is is a stress releiver and Fun!!!

I can't depribe someone a few minutes of enjoyment, because of a few inches.... Let'em have it... Whats it hurt... But thats just me... I'm a softie on some things..

My only other comment on this is to the O.P. (Oringal Poster), do you have any friends you can take with you caching that might be able to help with some of the reaching???

If not, Sadly, I think you will be really limited in this game/hobby/whatever we want to call it,because of where and how so many are hidden...

reading this topic made me giggle a bit as my step father is a disabled vet and cant climb trees for high up caches. i could just imagine him just cutting the tree down with his chainsaw and logging it as needing maintenance. :lol:

Haha, thats friken priceless... I hear ya...

But back on topic, if I were in the situation where I had a cache and someone could not reach it but e-mailed me or posted something that they went to the cords saw it, gave me a desc of it (where and how it was hid) and maybe posted a pic of it, I think I'd go ahead and let them log it and not lose any sleep...

This ""Geocaching"" is many things to many people.... To me, one of the things it is is a stress releiver and Fun!!!

I can't depribe someone a few minutes of enjoyment, because of a few inches.... Let'em have it... Whats it hurt... But thats just me... I'm a softie on some things..

Yes, I usually cache with taller people but it just happened that I was alone the day I found it.

My only other comment on this is to the O.P. (Oringal Poster), do you have any friends you can take with you caching that might be able to help with some of the reaching???

If not, Sadly, I think you will be really limited in this game/hobby/whatever we want to call it,because of where and how so many are hidden...

Just out of curiosity I went to look up which cache it is. I found that one a few months back, guess a grabber alone wouldn't have helped. But for others, a grabber, a hiking pole, or something like what I built - a metal rod with a wire hook at the end - might help. Or you could just log a note on those caches - after all, like you said, it is such a nice way to be outside and exploring. I think I've seen more places geocaching in 6 months than I had living here for over 15 years. Hope you have lots of fun with this hobby.

Some day if I'm really bored maybe I'll compile a list of topics that usually bring out passionate discussions. Log deletions is one such topic, but most of the discussion in this thread isn't even related to that, most of my posts included.

Edited by Chrysalides

At the same time the cliff face cache could serve as a reminder to those who are unable to go rock climbing due to age or other physical restraints, just what they can't do and never will.

Just like every time I see a pretty young woman... :lol:

[edit]

Including short ones.

Edited by knowschad

I can't park in a cripple spot. Every time I drive by one I am reminded of it. :mad:

I believe the word you're looking for is HANDICAPPED. :lol:

I thought about that when I was posting but isn't it the same thing? There is nothing wrong with being crippled.

Try telling that to the handicapped...like my Dad for example. :D

C

Don't worry... some of these guys go on like this day after day. Your question had absolutely nothing to do with it. Its kind of comical if you look at it the right way... like watching a 3 Stooges movie.

Okay. Here's the photo.

37b0cc1c-ae32-478b-83d0-530c71534273.jpg

Nice hide. Nice cache. Nice park. Did I find it? Yup. Did I retrieve the cache, and sign the log? Nope. Did I log it? Nope. Logged a DNF! I did not retrieve it AND I did not sign the log. Did I curse the hider? Once or twice. Nice challenge that I wasn't up to. Oh, well. A bit too old to shimmy up a tree near the tennis courts. Oh, well. Lots of caches that I will not be able to retrieve and sign the log. Oh, well. Such is life! I don't climb trees. I don't cross railroad trestles (inactive or otherwise). I don't climb water towers. Not sure if I'll ever borrow a kayak for the ten kayaking caches nearby.

Do I curse the hiders? You bet! Do I consider them 'elitist' and 'discriminatory'? Not in the slightest. Lots of different opportunities for lots of different people! I'll find the ones I can find. If I cannot find them. Or if I cannot retrieve them. Or if I canot sign the log.. Those are DNFs.

Find cache. Sign log. Get smiley. :lol: Anything else is a DNF (whether logged as such or not.)

I recently found a cache that was in a small pine tree surrounded by a 4 foot mat of actively growing poison ivy. The tree also had poison ivy growing through the branches nect to the container. Needless to say I did not sign the log, but logged it on line with a comment about the poison ivy. The CO did not delete the log and I hope he moved it I was there a year ago and the ivy was so bad I did not get to the tree to see the cache. The attributes on the cache page did not include poison plants. If someone places a cache that is difficult to get to, that is their choice, but the averae person should be able to retrieve a normal cache. In Florida There was a cache down a steep gravel slope. I am 67 and not about to injure myself for a smiley, so I passed it. The CO had a right to place it and people have a right to go for it or not.

I recently found a cache that was in a small pine tree surrounded by a 4 foot mat of actively growing poison ivy. The tree also had poison ivy growing through the branches nect to the container. Needless to say I did not sign the log, but logged it on line with a comment about the poison ivy. The CO did not delete the log and I hope he moved it I was there a year ago and the ivy was so bad I did not get to the tree to see the cache. The attributes on the cache page did not include poison plants. If someone places a cache that is difficult to get to, that is their choice, but the averae person should be able to retrieve a normal cache. In Florida There was a cache down a steep gravel slope. I am 67 and not about to injure myself for a smiley, so I passed it. The CO had a right to place it and people have a right to go for it or not.

In that case, I might have logged a find as well. In my area, we get winter. Serious winter. When I find a cache that's frozen into the ice and I can't retrieve it or open it without risking damage, I generally will also log that as a find. But I also am totally aware (and generally say so in my log) that the CO may delete my find. In that case, I would stop by next summer when I'm in the area and sign in & relog (never had to do that, though)

The first thing I wondered is how vertically challenged is the OP? I'm 5'2"... 5'3 1/2" in my hiking boots. There have been a couple I had to jump to get (being a shorty working in a book store, I've become an exceptional jumper). One.. I KNOW where the dumb thing is, but I can't reach it, and my 6'3" hubby doesn't cache. Grabber, pointy stick, jumping, or bringing along a freakishly tall buddy are just a few options in this great game we play. Sometimes it's better to be short; there's a local cahce I'm not going after without a flashlight. It's in a storm drain. I barely have to tip my head. But I digress... If I can't sign it, I don't log it. Now, I've "signed" a log with some mud and a bit of a stick before. I went to the Clinton Presidential Library on President's day and there was so no way I was hiking back to my car for the pen. But if you can't leave a mark of some kind, I wouldn't call it found.

I recently found a cache that was in a small pine tree surrounded by a 4 foot mat of actively growing poison ivy. The tree also had poison ivy growing through the branches nect to the container. Needless to say I did not sign the log, but logged it on line with a comment about the poison ivy.

You did not retrieve the cache. You did not sign the log. I would have deleted it. That's a DNF. I do not understand how you could claim a find for that!

I didn't climb the tree above. That's a DNF. Or would you have logged a find there too?

I recently found a cache that was in a small pine tree surrounded by a 4 foot mat of actively growing poison ivy. The tree also had poison ivy growing through the branches nect to the container. Needless to say I did not sign the log, but logged it on line with a comment about the poison ivy.

You did not retrieve the cache. You did not sign the log. I would have deleted it. That's a DNF. I do not understand how you could claim a find for that!

I didn't climb the tree above. That's a DNF. Or would you have logged a find there too?

I agree with you.

Brand Noob Question. GPS hasn't even arrived yet.

What was the difficulty for that find?

Because to be honest. 40 next year. Got a gut. But want to cache. but if I go to a 1 difficulty cache and find out I have to climb a tree to sign a book to get "credit" I will not be happy. I will avoid that person's cache's again and document such. I want to cache. I want to get out and maybe lose some of the gut. I want to have a record of my caches. And the best place is geocaching.com since I will be getting future caches from there. But if someone is going to log that as a 1 difficulty and delete my log because I chose not to climb the tree to get to it then there is seriously something wrong here. Or is climbing the tree like in that photo considered a 1? Might have to rethink who this hobby is for. Physically fit people or everyone as long as they understand the rules.

Same questions applies to those photos MrsB posted. They best be more difficult. In my opinion.

Now if they are higher difficulty and then I do not get it, then well that's my choice. If I went on a 4 difficulty cache and could not reach then well that is my fault. I am fine not claiming it because it was documented as a 4. Because I chose to try a level 4 difficulty cache. I can live without the log and just enjoy the hike.

Because to be honest. 40 next year. Got a gut. But want to cache. but if I go to a 1 difficulty cache and find out I have to climb a tree to sign a book to get "credit" I will not be happy. I will avoid that person's cache's again and document such. I want to cache. I want to get out and maybe lose some of the gut. I want to have a record of my caches. And the best place is geocaching.com since I will be getting future caches from there. But if someone is going to log that as a 1 difficulty and delete my log because I chose not to climb the tree to get to it then there is seriously something wrong here. Or is climbing the tree like in that photo considered a 1? Might have to rethink who this hobby is for. Physically fit people or everyone as long as they understand the rules.

Same questions applies to those photos MrsB posted. They best be more difficult. In my opinion.

Now if they are higher difficulty and then I do not get it, then well that's my choice. If I went on a 4 difficulty cache and could not reach then well that is my fault. I am fine not claiming it because it was documented as a 4. Because I chose to try a level 4 difficulty cache. I can live without the log and just enjoy the hike.

That tree cache posted by Harry Dolphin is a one difficulty. Takes no effort at all to find the cache. Looks like it could be spotted from the sidewalk. The terrain, on the other hand, is not a one. I'm not sure how hard that tree is to climb but a two and a half or three may be appropriate.

Because to be honest. 40 next year. Got a gut. But want to cache. but if I go to a 1 difficulty cache and find out I have to climb a tree to sign a book to get "credit" I will not be happy.
Kind of sounds like you're already making excuses. Plenty of folks older and more out of shape than you appear in your photo have done caches worse that those in the posted photos. Some of the folks that have found our tree caches are a heck of lot older than 40.

Hi SirTomster

I don't know what the difficulty rating was for the cache that started this whole thread, the one that was just out of reach in the tree, but if it was here in UK I would expect something like that to rated perhaps 1.5T because a tall person could reach it OK but a little short-@rse like me would struggle, or need a pogo stick. ;)

In those other photos I posted, the one where I had to climb the tree "The Cuckoo"(the cache was about 12ft up) was rated D2/T3.

The other one showing the cave entrance was the Bonus final of a series called The UnderWorld, in SW England. It's a rated 5/5 because you have to do the other 7 cave/tunnel caches first, to get various numbers, and then there's a really difficult code puzzle to sort out before doing the Bonus cave.

Please don't be discouraged from trying out geocaching as your new hobby. The majority of 1* and 2* star caches should prove straightforward for you. As you progress with the steady exercise of walking to such caches you'll be getting fitter without even realising it - Another year or so and you'll be shinning up trees too. ;)

Good luck ;)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Hi SirTomster

I don't know what the difficulty rating was for the cache that started this whole thread, the one that was just out of reach in the tree, but if it was here in UK I would expect something like that to rated perhaps 1.5T because a tall person could reach it OK but a little short-@rse like me would struggle, or need a pogo stick. ;)

Please don't be discouraged from trying out geocaching as your new hobby. The majority of 1* and 2* star caches should prove straightforward for you. As you progress with the steady exercise of walking to such caches you'll be getting fitter without even realising it - Another year or so and you'll be shinning up trees too. ;)

Good luck ;)

MrsB

Just to elaborate on what MrsB said, it is the TERRAIN (T) rating that would indicate something like a cache being up in a tree, not the DIFFICULTY (D) rating.

I can't park in a cripple spot. Every time I drive by one I am reminded of it. ;)

I believe the word you're looking for is HANDICAPPED. ;)

I thought about that when I was posting but isn't it the same thing? There is nothing wrong with being crippled.

No, it's not the same thing.

As someone who is vertically challenged and not the most nimble person (an undiagnosed broken hip a couple years back will do that) all I ask is that the terrain be rated appropriately. A terrain 1 should not require any bushwhacking or climbing. A terrain 5? Well, have fun!

There was a terrain 1.5 that I had to walk 300 metres to get to (on a trail) and then a little bushwhacking was required... 20 minutes later when I found the cache I discovered I'd forgotten my pen! After all that work I was absolutely going to sign that log - I love signing logs and I had earned it - so back to the car - back to the cache - signed the log and *left* the pen in the cache - and back to the car again. Lots of exercise, lots of fun ... but I don't think a 600 metre walk is a 1.5.

I would not log a cache if I hadn't signed the log, but might post a note saying that I saw it, if the cache was there, just out of reach. (I'd even keep it polite!) Fortunately that situation has not arisen yet. However, an appropriate terrain rating would save a lot of grief. As much as I want to, I do not expect to be able to snag a terrain 3.5 or greater. Fortunately, there are lots of terrain 2 or less caches around, and I am not too proud to grab a LPC or two. They are like little friends, especially when I am travelling! ;)

As someone who is vertically challenged and not the most nimble person (an undiagnosed broken hip a couple years back will do that) all I ask is that the terrain be rated appropriately. A terrain 1 should not require any bushwhacking or climbing. A terrain 5? Well, have fun!

There was a terrain 1.5 that I had to walk 300 metres to get to (on a trail) and then a little bushwhacking was required... 20 minutes later when I found the cache I discovered I'd forgotten my pen! After all that work I was absolutely going to sign that log - I love signing logs and I had earned it - so back to the car - back to the cache - signed the log and *left* the pen in the cache - and back to the car again. Lots of exercise, lots of fun ... but I don't think a 600 metre walk is a 1.5.

I would not log a cache if I hadn't signed the log, but might post a note saying that I saw it, if the cache was there, just out of reach. (I'd even keep it polite!) Fortunately that situation has not arisen yet. However, an appropriate terrain rating would save a lot of grief. As much as I want to, I do not expect to be able to snag a terrain 3.5 or greater. Fortunately, there are lots of terrain 2 or less caches around, and I am not too proud to grab a LPC or two. They are like little friends, especially when I am travelling! ;)

While a 1/1 means handicapped accessible, how would you rate a cache placed within a 6 footer's reach while I am much shorter? Also, how would someone know to make sure to mention the chance short people would encounter difficulties while attempting without giving the hide away?

I am vertically challenged and sometimes I am unable to retrieve the cache. I will have touched it however.

I did this today and logged that I had touched it but couldn't retrieve it. I got an email from the owner saying I couldn't count it unless I signed. Is this correct?

that is not a find. that is a note at best. if you dont sign the log, you didnt find it.

Retrieving the cache is all part of the challenge. I recall walking through a park in mid winter with a lawn chair so I could retrieve a cache. I had it in my fingers but couldn't extract it because I wasn't quite tall enough.

i once drove a half mile out onto a frozen lake with a stepladder because i couldn't reach a cache.

There is nothing wrong with being crippled.

there may be nothing about being crippled that makes you less of a person, and there may be nothing wrong with the word "crippled", but if you think there's nothing wrong with being crippled, i suggest you try it out.

as for insisting on the use of "handicapped", well, the problem isn't the word, but the attitude behind it.

when cripples were getting under-served and discriminated against, we needed the word "handicapped".

now that handicapped people are getting under-served and discriminated against, some people have decided that we need to use silly terms like "handi-capable" and "differently-abled".

i'm sorry, but i'm not "differently-abled"; i have a disability. sometimes it is crippling.

want to know who else never shied away from calling it what it is? sarah billmeier.

i have had the pleasure of seeing her dance, and of seeing her play soccer. she was the second-string goalie on her high school team. the telling moment was always the look on the other team's faces when she came out onto the field:

great. now things will be better with the one-legged girl in goal.

or

blast. they think we suck that bad?

The one that started the whole thing that almost gave you a screaming fit ;) is a 1.5/1.5. A person of average height can retrieve it (say, anywhere from 5' 8", maybe even shorter if tip-toeing), and it is not in a tree. It unfortunately requires a bit of manipulation to remove it, so jumping and touching it will not get it out. The manipulation is not part of the difficulty, however (at least, I didn't think it is).

Why is it sadistic to hide a cache in a tree? Some people consider caches like that fun. Not all caches have to be easy.

Not "in a tree" but "up a tree". And yes, I know there are "some" who would enjoy those caches. I suppose it would be logical to assume, then, that the cache owner would be placing caches for a small majority, as opposed to the general caching community. Sounds a little selfish, and elitist, but its their deal, not mine.

If I had a chainsaw, I would welcome the opportunity to use it.

And the DEP would welcome the opportunity to toss you in jail.