Low Tech Geocaching

Hi all.

We have recently introduced one of our friends to Geocaching and whilst he's sorting himself out with a GPS unit he's been finding caches just by using printouts from Google Maps.

And it got me thinking - does anyone out there frequently go geocaching with out the use of technology?

I cant imagine not using the GPS on my G1.

John & Bex

We have recently introduced one of our friends to Geocaching and whilst he's sorting himself out with a GPS unit he's been finding caches just by using printouts from Google Maps.

And it got me thinking - does anyone out there frequently go geocaching with out the use of technology?

I'm not sure if there is an Amish Geocachers group, but the last time I checked, computers, the Internet, aerial photos, cars (or trains or buses) are all products of technology - and not exactly low tech at that :rolleyes: But if you mean without GPSr, there's a couple of recent threads on that, so I'd think there are those who do that. Aerial photos are not very accurate in some regions, however, from what I gather.

Hi all.

I cant imagine not using the GPS on my G1.

John & Bex

If you can read a satellite image a GPS isn't necessary for finding a cache. But, the time for learning to read the photos (if you want to be able to do ANY cache, not just parking lots and local parks) is much longer than learning to use a GPS. I started with maps in the early 1950s and probably caught up with GPS accuracy about 15 years ago.

I found my first geocache without a GPS or without using any technology at all. Of course I just stumbled upon it while hiking along a lava flow on Maui.

I have found a few without using the GPS at all, including one that wasn't even listed on the geocaching website. but the GPS does make it easier.

the last cach i found was found pretty much without gps

the the signal was blocked and bouncing off the buildings so much the gps was worthless

i sat down with the gps next to me and watched it track back and forth across the street

came back with a different gps ... same thing

found it by getting close with the map and the clue

found one or 2 others without the gpsr

and Im only up to 62 finds

I have a GPS in the built in car sat nav that I can use to get to the nearest parking. Then it's over to a printed Google map. For wooded areas I also use a compass and usually rely on my paces being about 1 meter to home in on the cache from the nearest landmark that can be identified. From what I hear GPS signals can give trouble in woods anyway. I haven't used it yet, but I do have laser distance meter that might come in handy lol.

I'm not sure if there is an Amish Geocachers group, but the last time I checked, computers, the Internet, aerial photos, cars (or trains or buses) are all products of technology - and not exactly low tech at that :) But if you mean without GPSr, there's a couple of recent threads on that, so I'd think there are those who do that. Aerial photos are not very accurate in some regions, however, from what I gather.

Chrysalides....You must not have visited an Amish Community in awhile; they are more "plugged" in than most "English" (as they call us) The only hardship they would have is taking the horse and buggy to the cache and wondering if a place to hitch the horse is available.

Most (if working someplace other than their farm) have cell phones, computers, internet...the whole nine yards! The church accepts it for purposes of "making a living" in this new era.

Kinda funny.....Weird Al's amish paradise is so out dated now....Jebidiah's wife doesn't churn butter, she buys it at Wal-mart! LOL

Chrysalides....You must not have visited an Amish Community in awhile; they are more "plugged" in than most "English" (as they call us) The only hardship they would have is taking the horse and buggy to the cache and wondering if a place to hitch the horse is available.

Really? Wow, they sure have changed. I think I recall reading about Amish riding bicycles, so they do have an alternative to the horse and buggy.. But cell phones? Wow...

Weird Al - one of my favorite entertainers of all time :)

I had such an itch to get going in this that I made my first find while waiting for my gpsr to be delivered. I selected a cache in a park near me which was near a softball field. I used first and second base to line up the cache and also to guestimate the distance from the main path. Google maps are really good for my area and I have used them almost everytime to at least plan a parking area and approach route. At least for most of my 29 finds! lol :lol:

I had such an itch to get going in this that I made my first find while waiting for my gpsr to be delivered. I selected a cache in a park near me which was near a softball field. I used first and second base to line up the cache and also to guestimate the distance from the main path. Google maps are really good for my area and I have used them almost everytime to at least plan a parking area and approach route. At least for most of my 29 finds! :lol:

our friends GPS should arrive tomorrow, and he's a bit relieved, it is a lot harder with just a printout.

A couple of feet can make such a difference eg the different side of a stream, a least with my G1 I can zoom in to the maps to make sure I'm in the right place.

our friends GPS should arrive tomorrow, and he's a bit relieved, it is a lot harder with just a printout.

A couple of feet can make such a difference eg the different side of a stream, a least with my G1 I can zoom in to the maps to make sure I'm in the right place.

There's also a Zoom feature on the satellite image. It may not be the same scale everywhere but once you know your area's specs it's OK until you want to do a road trip.

ive found the majority of the 19 ive logged just by looking at the site. most of the time i dont even print out the sheet, i just try to remember where it was to make it more fun.

when i get a decent handheld gps ill venture more into the wooded areas.

Yeah...but just imagine the fun you would have if you went into the woods looking for that cache without a GPS!!! You could be entertained for hours!!!

:lol::D:mad:

ive found the majority of the 19 ive logged just by looking at the site. most of the time i dont even print out the sheet, i just try to remember where it was to make it more fun.

Yeah...but just imagine the fun you would have if you went into the woods looking for that cache without a GPS!!! You could be entertained for hours!!!

Well, I'm sure someone would be entertained...

For additional fun, try geocaching blindfolded, hands tied behind your back, and / or barefoot :lol:

To the OP : good luck to your friend.

:lol::D:mad:

..but if you can read the satellite image it really doesn't take any longer.. often less time than with the GPS. I occasionally cache with folks that have a GPS and have the cache in hand while they are still waiting for the stars satellites to align.

Really? Wow, they sure have changed. I think I recall reading about Amish riding bicycles, so they do have an alternative to the horse and buggy.. But cell phones? Wow...

Weird Al - one of my favorite entertainers of all time :laughing:

well they don't drive....but they get rides constantly, carry cell phones, have computers (only allowed at a business, not in the home) so on and so forth. Most have plumbing in their stores because the service the English, so if you want to have the english shop....you gotta have a pot! haha