Upgrade membership

B192734

So, I am debating on upgrading to the premium membership. My questions were:

1. Is it worth it?

2. Are there very many members only caches?

3. How useful are the extra features that you get?

4. What all features DO you get?

Any information would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, and didn't really see that much information on the site itself (or I didn't look in the right places...). Thanks, and everyone have a great rest of your day.

1. Is it worth it?

You're right, information is scattered over a few places and not easily accessible. My answers to your question:

1. Depends on you. For me, yes. Because I enjoy the ability to download a large set of geocaches, including descriptions, into my GPSr, and then go find them whenever I happen to feel like it. Which, unfortunately, is just about anytime, but that's a different story and off topic...

2. Depends on your area. Over here, less than 10%.

3. See (1).

4. Pocket queries, bookmarks, unlimited watchlist, ignore list, notification of new caches, access to "Off Topic" forum.. ability to turn on / off different cache types in Google Map View. I'm sure I missed some, and I don't use many of the features. Even for PQ I use them mainly as a better search tool instead of requesting PQs most of the time.

I'd say the single most important feature for me is the ability to geocache paperlessly. Others might value new cache notification more.

You can always sign up for the 3 month membership to see if it is worth it for you.

How do you go about caching paperlessly? That would be great for me. Much less to carry around and flip through trying to figure out which one you're looking for, jamming stacks of paper in your pocket, and wasting all that paper.

Also, what exactly is the .gpx file?

How do you go about caching paperlessly? That would be great for me. Much less to carry around and flip through trying to figure out which one you're looking for, jamming stacks of paper in your pocket, and wasting all that paper.

paperlessly is where you have the cache page on an electronic device. IT might be your gps (PN-40, Oregon, Colorado) or a pda. A .gpx file is what you get when you run a pocket query or download the gpx from the cache page. It contains the cache description, co-ordinates, hints and logs. This is what is the basis of paperless caching.

Jim

To geocache sans paper you need one or more of the following:

1. GPSr with the ability (e.g. Colorado, Oregon, DeLorme PN-40 and maybe PN-20)

2. Old PDA with Cachemate or similar software (I use a Palm Vx - yes, I mean OLD). Some people use an iPod. I've heard of people using Nintendo DS / Sony PSP but never actually seen it in action.

3. iPhone, Blackberry, probably many other smartphones as well

You'd also need software to organize the data on your PC or Mac.

GPX and LOC are XML files describing the waypoint. GPX (GPS Exchange Format, I think) contains the waypoint name, description, hints, past logs, difficulty, size, terrain, and location. LOC only contains name and location.

Here's a post with examples:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3548945

Edited by Chrysalides

The Magellan Tritons are also paperless.

Generally, a waypoint is just a point on a map. You can download these by downloading the .Loc file from the cache page(do not have to be a premium member. A .gpx file contailns the point on the map plus a whole lot of other info about that point(the info on the cache page).

As a noob I wanted the best GPSr for hiking & Geocaching. The 60CSx seemed the best after much research. I know it doesn't have the "paperless" functions of other units but it doesn't have the issues either.

My point is what I do is connect my 60CSx and my Garmin Zumo (motorcycle/car) to my laptop via USB, browse the geocache.com site for caches in my area and then select "send to gps" I send it to each unit and it shows in both with the GCxxx number. The Zumo gives me driving directions there and the 60CSx takes me to it. I then return this site and log it as found. Now it will come up in searches with a red check mark next to it or you can elect to ignore found caches when doing new searches.

The cool thing is the Zumo (and likely the Nuvi's) saves the cache as a favorite and they show up when you're in the area along the route. I'll download a bunch of them near my home/work etc and when I have time I'll just point to the closest one to my on the gps.

This may be very basic to all of you but its new to me.

Steve

I'm not familiar with the Zumo. I save the geocaches on my Nuvi as custom POIs which provide me with driving directions, proximity alert, and cache description / hint / past logs. I think you can save them as custom POIs onto the 60csx as well but I'm not sure of the limitations.

Paperless can mean having the cache details at your fingertips, to logging / note taking on-site. With something like the Oregon, you can type in your logs (found, DNF, etc.) into your unit, and at the end of the day upload it to geocaching.com.

1. Is it worth it?

Any information would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, and didn't really see that much information on the site itself (or I didn't look in the right places...). Thanks, and everyone have a great rest of your day.

yes, you get what you pay for.

In GPX, a collection of geocaches (up to 500 for each query)

The minimum properties for a GPX file are latitude and longitude for a single waypoint. All other variables are optional.

As others have said, the ability to run pocket queries is alone worth the $30 annual membership costs.

In addition you are helping to support the site, development of the site, and the game in general.

Finally - I'm sure Bookmarks will become a favorite for me as my caching matures, however I'm totally thrilled with the new cache notifications feature. Its great knowing when a cache a few miles from your home has published and you can make a dash for a FTF.

I do not think premium members only caches factor in that much.

I would say that it depends on how much you cache. (Or want to.) When we first started it was a pain printing sheets! It seemed to take forever and we wanted to go so bad. Frustrating!

Being a premium member allows you to load caches into your GPSr almost effortlessly. Imagine going to cache with 500 cache location (waypoints) already loaded! Our GPSr already had the ability to load waypoints into.

After about 20-30 caches we knew we had to go paperless. We bought a cheap Palm Pilot on Craigslist. $30 2+ years ago. I bought cachemate $7 at the time.

You can do it all with free software. As mentioned a pocket query has up to 500 caches loaded in it. You can determine what kind/size/location of caches you want. You can load thousands onto most units. Probably tens of thousands of caches if you wanted to.

We would be at a cache, open the Palm. Search for the next geocache in a certain direction and go.

This enabled us to do what we wanted, cache all day. We never knew where we would end up. What we did know is that geocaching would take us somewhere interesting.

If you would like to do more than 5 or 10 a day, I would recommend it.

None of this takes long. I'm sure it would be less time than printing all of those sheets. There is lots of help on the forums too.

So, I have an old Palm sitting at home...Maybe I will have to try it out. What software do you use for it, and where do you get it? Because that would be VERY helpful for those elusive caches out there rated 1/1 that you just can't find...

So, I have an old Palm sitting at home...Maybe I will have to try it out. What software do you use for it, and where do you get it? Because that would be VERY helpful for those elusive caches out there rated 1/1 that you just can't find...

cachemate from smittyware.com. Free to try (crippleware), $10 to buy. Others will suggest plucker/spinner. I like cachemate because I can enter my logs in the field and then upload to GSAK and GC.com quickly and easily.

Jim

I don't know about that... some of the 1/1s I've looked for, the only thing that can help is either hints from owner / previous finder, or divine intervention :)

As for the Palm sitting at home, make sure you have the right ports / software / drivers on your computer. For example, my Vx requires a serial port that many new computers don't provide, the USB units require a driver that may not work with Vista, etc.

Edited by Chrysalides

I use a Blackberry Storm (Verizon) as my sole piece of GPS enabled equipment for paperless caching.

The Storm is loaded with the latest version of BlackStar Navigation. I create a PQ and import the .gpx file, giving me 500+ caches. When I find a cache, I mark it found on the Storm and immediately click the link to log the cache on geocaching.com. This opens the browser to the cache log page, where I instantly log it in (I'm always signed in to geocaching.com with a cookie).

For the long-distance caches, I set a destination waypoint and then click the menu to bring it up on BBMaps. From there I can get driving directions.

Each week I get a PQ with "My Finds" that I import into CacheStats from logicweave.com (free)

Can't go any more paperless and mobile than that. BlackStar and CacheStats are both free programs. The $30/yr premium membership fee is my only cost (besides various swag), and it's well worth it.

Alrighty. So I went and upgraded. And turns ou tthat it is totally worth it. Even just the ability to modify your searches is great. I'm still trying to figure out how to really make use of the PQ's, but it will come. My Palm Tungsten that i had sitting at home is totally compatible, so that's great. I loaded the freeware version so far of Cachemate. Extremely handy. Switching over to paperless is so much better and easier to deal with. No more standing out in the middle of a park rifling through pages looking strange for everyone around (and probably being laughed at by those who have gone paperless...). I like the Caches along a route option. I do a lot of traveling so that looks like it will be very handy. Looks good. Thanks for the info!

1. Is it worth it?

I am new to geocaching(1 Month 7 caches in 2 states). And I love it I support it ! So I think it worth it.

1. Is it worth it?

Since you are using the website I think it is only appropriate to support it financially :D and the amount is so little, and the Geocaching site gives us so much. The site does not run without supporters. I think it should be mandatory that there be a yearly fee to even be a member. JMO

Scubasonic

Since you are using the website I think it is only appropriate to support it financially :grin: and the amount is so little, and the Geocaching site gives us so much. The site does not run without supporters. I think it should be mandatory that there be a yearly fee to even be a member. JMO

Scubasonic

I have to respectfully disagree with the mandatory paid membership idea. A lot of people want to "try before they buy," especially when starting up a new hobby. If people like it, they'll pay. (I upgraded to premium membership status within a week of starting to look for caches). If not, they will simply quit geocaching.

But if someone is made to pay before they can even try out the hobby to see if they like it, it's a deterrence - not the best way to get new cachers involved.

I just think the site design as it is now is really nice. You can get a good taste without a premium membership, and if you're hard up for cash you can continue to play the game without further expense. But if you like geocaching and intend to stick with it, there's so much more to be opened up by going premium - and I think many people do.

Since you are using the website I think it is only appropriate to support it financially :grin: and the amount is so little, and the Geocaching site gives us so much. The site does not run without supporters. I think it should be mandatory that there be a yearly fee to even be a member. JMO

Scubasonic

I have to respectfully disagree with the mandatory paid membership idea. A lot of people want to "try before they buy," especially when starting up a new hobby. If people like it, they'll pay. (I upgraded to premium membership status within a week of starting to look for caches). If not, they will simply quit geocaching.

But if someone is made to pay before they can even try out the hobby to see if they like it, it's a deterrence - not the best way to get new cachers involved.

I just think the site design as it is now is really nice. You can get a good taste without a premium membership, and if you're hard up for cash you can continue to play the game without further expense. But if you like geocaching and intend to stick with it, there's so much more to be opened up by going premium - and I think many people do.

WIth the free memebership you can do a lot of GeoCaching , but once you want to support and spend less time planning you need to upgrade.

I've heard of people using Nintendo DS / Sony PSP but never actually seen it in action.

There's 2 options for the DS, in both instances you need an R4 or other external memory card reader for the DS. You can either save each cache you want as an HTML file, and open it that way. Or you cn get DS Cache, which is an ultra basic program available for free, similar functionality to CacheMate. :grin:

Generally, a waypoint is just a point on a map. You can download these by downloading the .Loc file from the cache page(do not have to be a premium member. A .gpx file contailns the point on the map plus a whole lot of other info about that point(the info on the cache page).

i know this is off topic but my family is very new to this whole thing. we have found 4 or 5 caches so far and we have been hand entering the coordingates to our GPS, could you tell me how to download the cache to my Magellan Triton? Thank You

i know this is off topic but my family is very new to this whole thing. we have found 4 or 5 caches so far and we have been hand entering the coordingates to our GPS, could you tell me how to download the cache to my Magellan Triton? Thank You

You would use the software that came with the Triton. The VantagePoint software knows how to read the GPX or LOC files. From there you just sync with the unit.

Like this...

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

2c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

Changes for V1.60…

Note: VP just did an upgrade to V1.60. Changes are... On step 2 the Library tab is gone, click My Journal on the left side instead of the Library tab. In step3 the MyGPS tab is gone and the icons are at the top. The section that says Sync is where you will find the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon

Just recently signed up for premium membership - for $30 US, an excellent deal. As a previous poster has said, it helps to support this site, and it is my way of saying thanks for getting me out and about and having a lot of fun at the same time. I should have done it sooner!

I upgraded to premium after about 20 finds and find the PQ feature very useful, especially when used with another program like GSAK.

Other then PQ, I use the 'create route' feature which in turn can create a PQ from that route and search for caches where I want to travel.

I fully suppot the site and will continue my membership when it is up for renewal.

One hint for new cachers with a garmin, is you can sign up for their website and search on an area.

About 20 caches will pop up and you can select them all to down load them. Definately not the same as a pq, but I use it when I need some caches quickly. (PQ's can take some time).