New Attribute

Hi

I am not so sure the attribute is required as much as Cache setters following the guidelines.

I am sure it says not to place caches near Schools,Play parks or areas deemed inapropriate.

These if followed would rule out the need of such an attribute, but i can see where you are coming from.

I don't really enjoy caching on my own, though in the "early days" I was eager to nab as many as possible......travelling 70 miles for two caches wasn't un-heard of, and I didn't look at the implications of hanging around suspiciously. We generally cache as a foursome these days, so the "dodgeynous?"isn't there.

A cache that springs to mind is GCY1Y5, next to a school and houses. I didn't even look for the cache the day I was there, though could see where it was. I said in my log that I looked suspicious!

I think it is down to the cache setter to warn cachers of any implications........as they are the ones who probably know more about an area they set caches in.

Hi

I am not so sure the attribute is required as much as Cache setters following the guidelines.

I am sure it says not to place caches near Schools,Play parks or areas deemed inapropriate.

These if followed would rule out the need of such an attribute, but i can see where you are coming from.

Perhaps that needs to be pointed out a little more frequently then.

Another case in point was Galley Hill in Bexhill, had I known it was in bushes about 10m behind a playground I wouldn't have walked up there during the daytime but planned to visit during the early evening when there was less chance of the playground being used.

I'm not saying the cache is placed badly, just a warning would have helped - an attribute seems to be the quickest way to indicate this.

I once found a cache hidden up a climbing frame in the middle of a playground on a school holiday morning. How? It was raining! On a serious note, even as a solo female cacher I get worried about searching near playgrounds, as children are warned to be suspicious of any stranger, not just men.

Also kiddies are inquisitive beasts and any 'interesting' activity could compromise the cache!

Just posted this on the new attribute request

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=223276

I just wondered how many others have considered this an issue?

I very much disagree with this. I think that specifically for the issue that you raise, it's a matter of common sense whether to go for a cache or not, but setting an attribute for it would be utterly pointless, as what is suitable for one solo cacher may not be for another. I've done the overwhelming majority of my 300 finds alone, and I've only once been in a position where I've felt I needed someone with me to make one of those finds possible - that was "Cold War In Oxfordshire", which is hidden inside a Royal Observer Corps bunker. The text on the cache page strongly suggests it is not attempted alone, due to the dangers of getting stuck inside the bunker (your phone won't work down there), but that's got nothing to do with the issue raised on this thread.

Just use your common sense, people - if you find yourself uncomfortable or worried about your safety, just walk away.

Lee