New Attribute please

mcwomble

Could I request a new cache attribute please

"May be unsuitable for solo cachers"

- solo male cachers might be making it too specific but it is really "that" category that is most at risk.

I've lost count of the number of caches that I've simply *just* not attempted due to their proximity to childrens play areas.

GC1NPY3 is but one of many many examples.

As one log reads

"Mummy! What's that funny man doing there hiding behind the tree?

What's that in his hand? Mummy???"

:rolleyes:

It's a sad indictment of the society we live in I know, but having a warning attribute on the cache description would definitely be an advantage of which caches to avoid, particularly during hours when such activities could be perceived in a completely different fashion.

On the plus side, said attribute could also be used for all those tree climbing and other terrain 4/5 caches where you make your own risk assessment.

how about getting a "needs handholding" attribute attached to some users?

Maybe us Brits are just more "sensitive" to the situation or perhaps it's not such a big issue on the other side of the pond or rather one more likely to be swept under the carpet.

Just thought this would be more likely to be accepted as a useful feature if it had a broader use potential. Obviously all "dangerous" caches need to be personally risk assessed by the cacher involved.

Highlighting the perceived mis-perception of your activities by others in "sensitive" areas might not even cross a cachers mind.

There is a case in Kent where a male cacher was collared by a pair of drunken thugs in a park and because he had a bag of cache swaps (ie kiddie toys) they assumed he was "a paedo" and proceeded to beat the guy senseless resulting in a stay in hospital.

I don't know that this is a hand-holding nanny state attribute, but just an option to focus the attention on a potential risk and a wasted journey.

(edited by moderator for potty language)

Edited by Keystone

The main problem I see with an attribute like that is that it's so open to interpretation that it would probably become useless. "Not suitable for solo cachers" could mean physically (you'll need someone to haul you up by rope from the bottom of the catch basin), or socially (bring along a kid to prove you're not a perv, or perhaps, bring along a friend to distract the old lady who's always sitting on the nearby bench feeding pidgeons), or personal safety (Ladies, there is a homeless camp under the bridge...bring a brawny lumberjack with you when you hunt for this cache!). More effective might be a universal requirement to vaguely state where the cache is (cemetery, park, parking lot, near a busy road, etc.) Though this would cause resentment among hiders of puzzle caches, I guess.

Edited by whistler & co.

A new cache attribute which I would like to see is "CCTV Cameras". Any cache which I come across which has these darn things pointing at me immediatly gets a DNF (or DNL - did not look)! :rolleyes:

Too true I hate those things as well.

I think common sense should guide you, just because a cache is there does not mean you have to get it. Just resist and walk on. :)

... just because a cache is there does not mean you have to get it. Just resist and walk on. :rolleyes:

Yes and no... if you're caching away from home then yes, leave it, but if it's on the 'nearest caches from your home coordinates' page then it has to be done no matter how bad it is :)

Mark

For OP, I would like to suggest a 'playground' attribute. Maybe a merry-go-round, or a sliding pond. I think this would be a great addition to the attributes! Warn those of us not caching with children to be forewarned!

As for Delta68, I've long ago given up hope of clearing my ten-mile list when someone hid a cache 45' up a tree. It requires professional tree-climbing equipment. I had been pondering how to borrow a kayak for the 8 or 10 kayaking caches nearby. But wth the ones up trees and water towers, I don't have to worry about those any more. For I will never clear that list.

... just because a cache is there does not mean you have to get it. Just resist and walk on. :rolleyes:

Yes and no... if you're caching away from home then yes, leave it, but if it's on the 'nearest caches from your home coordinates' page then it has to be done no matter how bad it is :)

Mark

Wanna bet?

how about getting a "needs handholding" attribute attached to some users?

Highlighting the perceived mis-perception of your activities by others in "sensitive" areas might not even cross a cachers mind.

There is a case in Kent where a male cacher was collared by a pair of drunken thugs in a park and because he had a bag of cache swaps (ie kiddie toys) they assumed he was "a paedo" and proceeded to beat the guy senseless resulting in a stay in hospital.

I don't know that this is a hand-holding nanny state attribute, but just an option to focus the attention on a potential risk and a wasted journey.

(edited by moderator for potty language)

Every cache run is a potential wasted journey. What does being beaten up by drunken thugs have to do with an attribute? Are playgrounds the only place drunks congregate?

Yes, the world is dangerous...if need be, stay indoors. :)

I don't think I've ever looked in the "attributes" section of any cache I've attempted. Usually I will decide on an area in which I want to cache, download the cache details onto my GPSr, and that's it. When I get to the area and switch the machine on I will look at the description but this doesn't include the attributes, at least not on my Oregon 300.

I would imagine I'm not alone in doing it this way!

Personally, whilst including a new attribute is fine, I think it is the responsibility of the placer to include a suitable description....including any potential such problems or amend it as any pitfalls are pointed out. The cache to which mcwomble originally referred is, in my opinion, in a totally inappropriate place; many cachers have logged the problem but you wouldn't guess it from the description.

Could I request a new cache attribute please

"May be unsuitable for solo cachers"

This is far too vague to be of any use to anyone at all, and also can't be objectively applied. There's plenty of caches I'd happily do alone that could be completely off-limits to others, and other caches I wouldn't do in a million years that other people love.

This is a decision we all have to make ourselves - we don't need such excessive hand-holding.

Lee

This is far too vague to be of any use to anyone at all, and also can't be objectively applied. There's plenty of caches I'd happily do alone that could be completely off-limits to others, and other caches I wouldn't do in a million years that other people love.

This is a decision we all have to make ourselves - we don't need such excessive hand-holding.

Lee

I'm not saying it should be an enforced option which like you say can't be objectively applied.

However the availability of such an attribute could at least prick the conscious of the setter - if it's not available how can it be used.

Obviously the solution is to only cache in the early morning or late at night then there'll be no bother! :)

As a solo female cacher, I have been placed in situations I have been uncomfortable in whilst caching on more than one ocasion...

For you men, it's probably less of a worry - but trust me... there have been some VERY scary moments for me out caching on my own... and I'm not stupid, and never take uncalculated risks....

I for one would welcome the attribute.

As a solo female cacher, I have been placed in situations I have been uncomfortable in whilst caching on more than one ocasion...

For you men, it's probably less of a worry - but trust me... there have been some VERY scary moments for me out caching on my own... and I'm not stupid, and never take uncalculated risks....

I for one would welcome the attribute.

What is an "uncomfortable situation?" And how will we determine if everyone will be "comfortable?"

These ideas seem a little nebulous....could you give some specific examples?

Edited by PhxChem

Lee

I'm not saying it should be an enforced option which like you say can't be objectively applied.

However the availability of such an attribute could at least prick the conscious of the setter - if it's not available how can it be used.

Obviously the solution is to only cache in the early morning or late at night then there'll be no bother! :lol:

The thing is, an attribute *should* be objective. For example, the attributes most useful to me are the ones that tell me if there is public transport nearby, if a long hike is involved, if it's available 24/7, and if there are any specific hazards. These are all very clear as to what they mean, and therefore meaningful. They're genuinely useful in helping me decide whether to attempt a cache or not.

Everyone has completely different reasons for attempting caches alone or not, everyone has different abilities, and situations change rapidly anyway. Some caches might be perfectly safe in dry weather and lethal in the wet, and you'd need to decide whether to do it or not based on your own fitness and ability, and the conditions you find when you get there. Some might be fine with doing that alone, others might need assistance. A cache might be easy to do alone at certain times of day, and not others. And conditions at a cache site can't be predicted in advance - you have to decide, right there and then, whether a hide is suitable for you to attempt safely, and this is a completely subjective decision. I've walked away from plenty that others would tackle, and have done some that would scare the willies out of other people - what I'm saying is that this attribute would effectively be useless, and it's much better just to provide specific information in the description, or use other attributes, to give cachers the measure of what a particular hide is like. These are the things that will help people decide whether to do a cache alone or not.

If you don't know how to risk-assess a situation for yourself, and can't decide what's appropriate for your ability level and the prevailing conditions, caching is probably not the best hobby for you.

Lee