Have you ever lost a TB or GC or had a close call?

trevorh7000

I was just wondering have any of you lost a TB or GC that you had retrieved from a cache or had a close call - or lost it and then found it months later?

Maybe a stupid question and I guess I also would not like to admit to it on a public forum. However I have had two "scares" so to speak. I once "lost" a coin for some months only to later find it safely tucked away in a draw! I had already messaged the owner to say that his coin was "missing in action" and currently out of play. I never received a reply and did not bother to check if the cacher was still active.

When I found the coin and returned it to the playing field I again messaged the owner and also never got a response. But I can tell you I was relieved to have found it!

I have also just a had a "mini scare" with a Fish Eagle coin nogal! I knew I had it somewhere and today my maid helped me "find" it - I showed her a picture from the coin's page and she went straight to it!!! I will be moving the Ohio Kentucky Indiana coin on to my own cache later today to make sure it gets safely on its way!!!!

I also recall one cache where one of the kids I was caching with pulled off the TB tags as he wanted the car it was attached to. I had to go back to the cache site the next day to retrieve them!

I also recall one cache where one of the kids I was caching with pulled off the TB tags as he wanted the car it was attached to. I had to go back to the cache site the next day to retrieve them!

Every time I take the kids with it is scary!

In between trying to stop them fighting about who gets what,

what has gone in and what come out. Did the TB get placed or

did one of them stormed off with it..... $#@$%$#!?!

More often than not, they end up taking goodies I've brough along in the place

of taking anything out the cache. :P

Young kids and geocaching aren't for sissy's ! :P

Edited by amaSoekSoek

I've not lost a coin or TB through any negligence on my part and I can only imagine the sickening feeling it would produce based on how I felt when I had to report to the owner of an almost brand new coin, that it had been stolen along with my cache bag and half the other stuff in the boot :P

I too did not receive any kind of response but a few days later it was grabbed back and marked as missing.

I had a bad experience where I had about 4 TBs & GC's removed from my baggage on a flight between KNB & CPT. Really sad.

I've had a few of my own TB's and GC's go missing in the wild.

They do that from time to time.

I also had one that was missing reappear after about 5 months. It was in a race too!

Managed to pull a TB out of QR Billboard - and the cache was muggled a week later.

I have also felt really bad about 2 GC's in particular - that I took to areas - and they were muggled after that.

A SA coin in UAE and a GreenJaM coin (Areal beuat) muggled in Kuwait after I dropped it in Bahrain

I haven't lost a GC or a TB (except a brand new one of my own...), but I also feel bad if I place a trackable in a cache which then gets muggled, or the trackable just disappears. There are two I kinda feel responsible for, even though the trackables have moved after I've placed it. One is DAN404's new geocoin which I released into the wild here in the Netherlands - it visited two caches, and now seems to be gone. ): The other is gerhardoosMPsa's TB which I brought to the Netherlands from SA.

I've been lucky as far as my own trackables are concerned. The only one lost is the Red Lizard TB I entered into the great TB Race in the US. The rest are still very much active around Europe and SA.

Yep - unfortunately this is the name of the game. I have had a fair number of coins especially go missing - also a few TB's, but it is generally the coins that disappear. As Fish Eagle once said to me, the more that are out the the greater the chance of them going missing. He has plenty out there and accepts a 10% loss ratio. That is a bit too high for me though. I have stopped sending out any new coins but now concentrate on releasing TB's rather. Somehow the pain is not as bad when one goes MIA. :rolleyes:

I had my car stollen in 2005. Worse than the theft was that my GPS and 2 TB's were in the car at the time! The one TB owner replaced the TB and sent it on its way again and was quite friendly about the whole thing, the other owner never responded to my emails and eventually I dropped the TB in a TB graveyard after a few months.

Had a TB placed in a cache which got Muggled before the TB even moved. And now recently I had another TB just disappear from a cache... Not everyone who visited the cache afterward has responded so I still have a bit of hope for that one.

A solution I have come up with is to either get a vinyl printed for the muggled one and attach it to my car.

I was just wondering have any of you lost a TB or GC that you had retrieved from a cache ...

I lost a TB a long time ago. When I emailed the owner to appologize i learned it was their kids TB and they had been anxious about it being missing. Talk about feeling ackward. It never turned up. Not even when we moved and cleared the house of furnature.

I placed my 1st TB and a geocoin from someone in Europe in Discombob's "Lost in Dollosse" a while back...

No activity happened on the cache for a while, and eventually Pooks e-mailed me, as I was the last to find the cache... It looked as if the cache could have disappeared.

I checked up on it, and it turned out to be bad news... From what I could see the municipality must have cleaned out the xxxxx (not to give the cache away) and the cache was gone...

I felt bad about my TB, but felt like a real crook when I e-mailed the owner of the GC... He replied kindly, but I still felt that maybe I was at fault for placing the GC there...

Since then before placing a GC or TB in a cache, I ask myself what would the chances be of this cache being muggled... If I think that it would be a safe bet (Of course there is no guarantees.) I'd place it, otherwise hold on to it a while longer...

I placed my 1st TB and a geocoin from someone in Europe in Discombob's "Lost in Dollosse" a while back...

No activity happened on the cache for a while, and eventually Pooks e-mailed me, as I was the last to find the cache... It looked as if the cache could have disappeared.

I checked up on it, and it turned out to be bad news... From what I could see the municipality must have cleaned out the xxxxx (not to give the cache away) and the cache was gone...

I felt bad about my TB, but felt like a real crook when I e-mailed the owner of the GC... He replied kindly, but I still felt that maybe I was at fault for placing the GC there...

Since then before placing a GC or TB in a cache, I ask myself what would the chances be of this cache being muggled... If I think that it would be a safe bet (Of course there is no guarantees.) I'd place it, otherwise hold on to it a while longer...

Henzz

We all feel bad when a TB goes missing that we placed.

Or even if a cache gets muggled after we were there - but we can not be responsible for acts outside of caching control - like Municiplaity doing a big clean up - sudden construction happening - flash floods / forest fires and the like.

That's just part of the game - a risk to take.

It's just bad when a cache does get muggled and it seems like negligence on the part of the cacher - or cache owner. Or when a cacher seems to have taken a coin on purpose. Or when they just dissappear from a cache that is still active and nothing untoward seems to have happened - ???? very odd

I have a few stories along these lines. The first is straight-forward. One of my caches was muggled with someone else's TB in it. Felt a bit sucky because it was probably that the cache wasn't that well hidden. It was on top of a mountain, however, so I felt a bit unlucky.

The second story is about a TB which I made from an Eiffel Tower statuette. It was a gift from my (now-deceased) gran. Having not been to the eiffel tower myself, I never used it as an ornament. I decided that it would make a great TB and as my gran was a pretty well-travelled old lady, I thought she'd probably approve. Anyway, I gave it a mission to get to the real eiffel tower, and aid that whoever got it there could request the next location for it to travel to. Well, it did get to the real Eiffel Tower and the chap who got it there took an awesome photo and requesed that the next destination be the Sydney Opera House. I think it made one more hop before getting stuck in a cache in germany. After a number of months I looked it up and discovered a bunch of those "no sign of the tb" logs for the cache where it was meant to be. Reading back in the logs, I found a german entry where a very active cacher said he had taken it. But he didn't officially log it as taken. I emailed him through geocaching twice in english and then got a german friend to translate an email to german too, but he never bothered to respond. And this is a guy who has gone 2000+ caches. Bozo.

The third story is an amazing one. I released a disposable camera TB in my Carrell's Ledge cache. A fairly new cacher took it. He said he'd send it up the garden route. He evidently got out of caching as, after a few months, nothing had happened. I emailed him and he apologised and said he'd move it on. Still nothing. At the same time, I noticed that he was sitting on another TB that coincidentally I had been the last to handle. It had been released by a school class in the US who were tracking it as a learning experience. Clearly not a great TB to hang on to. Later I tried to email again but he stopped responding. Eventually I gave up on it.

Then, more than 2 years later, I was passing by a cache on Table Mountain that I had done before and decided, on a whim, to check in on it. Unbelievably, the camera TB was there!!! No mention of the guy who had sat on it for 2 years. It had been placed there by a scout troop.

The story gets freakier, because, not much later, I did a cache in Newlands Forest, and what should I find but the US class's travel bug that had gone awol with my camera. Again, the cache had recently been visited by a scout troop.

As for the camera, as it was never logged into the caches it visited, I had to grab it and record it as placed in the cache where I found it. A few month's later it still hadn't moved, so as I was passing the cache again, I moved it. But before I had a chance to log where I dropped it, someone else had grabbed it. So according to the logs it still had never travelled! I grabbed it back and logged it again and finally it was off. 3 years, 7 caches, 16 log entries later and it has only managed to travel 55km!!!

Edited by carlstein

Well I had a good news story this week.

A coin of mine that went missing close on a year ago in Oregon in the US - resurfaced this week.

According to the cacher who made the log - he found a cache with 15 coins in it - all werte reported as missing - and none were logged in the cache.

Well no matter what the story - I'm really chuffed about my Symbology coin being on the road again.