Geocache Cheating?

You guys do realise thats illegal?

The site isnt to ruin caching for anyone. It's for helping out people that are having trouble. There is a spoiler thing getting set up, and you can just get hints on how to solve the puzzles. If you want to figure it out all by yourself, then just don't use the site. Simple as that.

Edited by The Cheese Eaters

Personally, at this point, I avoid puzzle caches. My enjoyment of geocaching is about going out and about. Not trying to solve some ridiculous puzzle. I can solve puzzles while sitting on my butt in my living room.

Fair enough. What do you think of multis, which this site also promises to spoil? Or hard-to-find traditionals, also spoilable?

For example, because I'm sure very few people saw it. Before people starting messing with the Original Poster's Ooops Errrrrrr, I mean his friend's webpages, there was at least one multi, and at least one 1.5/1.5 urban micro up on the website. They contained verbal spoiler information and pictures. One for example had a picture of a tree, with red text and an arrow pointing to the cache scrawled over the pic.

While there has been plenty of outrage expressed about this web site where one can go to get spoilers I was recently looking at a bunch of 5/5 puzzle caches and noticed a trend. Almost all of the finds were made in small to large groups and the logs specifically mentioned either working as a team or "I wouldn't have found this without the masterful puzzle solving skills of [insert geocaching handle here]". For one puzzle cache, which I am currently working on, there were a few photos. One of them showed no less than 14 people searching at ground zero for the cache. I know this fits into the realm of "how others geocache do not effect you" but I would guess that over 95% of geocaching and puzzle solving I've done, has been a solo effort. I undertstand how others play the game does not effect how I play it, but when 14 people log a find on a 5/5 cache on the same day I suspect that the effort involved is a tad higher for me than for many that have gleefully posted their found it logs.

The site isnt to ruin caching for anyone. It's for helping out people that are having trouble. There is a spoiler thing getting set up, and you can just get hints on how to solve the puzzles. If you want to figure it out all by yourself, then just don't use the site. Simple as that.

Not quite as simple as that. By posting others' caches, you are forcing them to be involved. What about those who'd rather you NOT posting spoilers or even a "map' leading them right to the cache? You seem awfully irked about others messing with your site, but you don't seem to care about those who put effort into making their puzzles and multi's etc. We can't stop others from using the info you post, it's definitely not as "simple as that".

Sorry, dude... it is the cache owner's right to provide hints, not your "friend's". Simple as that.

If a cache owner tries to create, say, a difficulty 4 puzzle, he wants only people that solve his difficulty 4 puzzle to log a find. If he wants to dumb it down, he can dumb it down himself and does not need "your friend's" help with that. You are (oops!, I mean, your "friend is") stealing some of the cache owner's enjoyment.

Why did you ask your question here if you didn't want to listen to our opinion?

Because he thought everyone, like him, would think it is an absolutely fabulous idea. I'm sure he thought everyone would heap praise on him for his friends great website. I'm waiting for flask to drop by with her opinion.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Because he thought everyone, like him, would think it is an absolutely fabulous idea. I'm sure he thought everyone would heap praise on him for his friends great website. I'm waiting for flask to drop by with her opinion.

Jim

Naw, just advertising. I wish I could "SAGE" this thread - but it is what it is. I recommend that we stop responding and let this thread die a cold death.

Jim

Naw, just advertising. I wish I could "SAGE" this thread - but it is what it is. I recommend that we stop responding and let this thread die a cold death.

No.... too much fun for that! :rolleyes:

Jim

No.... too much fun for that! :)

It's not over until we say it's over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Cheese Dude, worst $9.95/yr. you ever spent, buying the domain name Geocheating.com :anibad:

Whether or not the guys makes a website or not about hints, cheats or whatever, its up to the individual Geoaches if he/she chooses to use the site or not. If a person finds a puzzle cache without working it out for themselfs, its them who should be condemed, its only themselfs they are cheating. Personally if somone found my cache which i only own one at the moment and it's a puzzle with using such a site and i know 100% sure they did, i would remove their log as i suppose most people would.

Whether or not the guys makes a website or not about hints, cheats or whatever, its up to the individual Geoaches if he/she chooses to use the site or not. If a person finds a puzzle cache without working it out for themselfs, its them who should be condemed, its only themselfs AND THE CACHE OWNER AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT LEGITIMATELY SOLVED THE PUZZLE they are cheating. Personally if somone found my cache which i only own one at the moment and it's a puzzle with using such a site and i know 100% sure they did, i would remove their log as i suppose most people would.

You missed a few words. All better now.

Whether or not the guys makes a website or not about hints, cheats or whatever, its up to the individual Geoaches if he/she chooses to use the site or not. If a person finds a puzzle cache without working it out for themselfs, its them who should be condemed, its only themselfs AND THE CACHE OWNER AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT LEGITIMATELY SOLVED THE PUZZLE they are cheating. Personally if somone found my cache which i only own one at the moment and it's a puzzle with using such a site and i know 100% sure they did, i would remove their log as i suppose most people would.

I reject the idea that people who found a cache on their own are in any way affected if someone gets help.

I reject the idea that people who found a cache on their own are in any way affected if someone gets help.

I don't think it hurts those who found the cache unaided but it does take something away from the cache owner. The CO works hard to develop a challenging cache only to have someone take the challenge out of it. It just isn't fair to the CO.

What do you guys think?

I think your using this discussion as a back-door to advertising your website.

AMEN! and all of our posts are helping! :)

It's not like you'll ever need more than 1 hand to count the world-wide contributors to his silly website. :anibad:

SBell111: If I as a cache owner do not have a picture on my cache page listed on Geocaching.com of my cache's hiding spot with "cache" and and a red arrow pointing to the spot scribbled across the photo, why does some knucklehead have one posted somewhere else on the internet? I as a cache owner have been violated in this case.

A friend is working on a site, named GeoCheat. He is using a wiki so anyone can edit it. It's basically a site, where people can upload caches, mainly unknown and multi, and post the final co-ordinates, and how to solve the puzzle for puzzle caches.

There are currently only about ten caches on GeoCheat.

Is this legal? What do you guys think? Would any of you use a site like this? I know there are many times I've been stuck and wished that someone would point me in the right direction.

geocheat.wikia.com

Hey, Hugo... how's it going? :)

SBell111: If I as a cache owner do not have a picture on my cache page listed on Geocaching.com of my cache's hiding spot with "cache" and and a red arrow pointing to the spot scribbled across the photo, why does some knucklehead have one posted somewhere else on the internet? I as a cache owner have been violated in this case.
I can't answer that question, since I am not the knucklehead in question.

Why did you ask me this question? Does it relate to any of my posts to this thread?

Is this legal? What do you guys think? Would any of you use a site like this?...

Legal. Yes.

Can it be helpful? If it gives general guidance on the types of puzzles in a way that's handy for cachers. It would be wonderful.

If it's nothing more than a Puzzle Cache Final Location database then it's an insult to all puzzle cache owners and a rude and ignorant thing to do.

Since it cheapens the value of the find, yes it does. Rather like those folks who take a nip of gold off the coin at each step of it's circulation. Nobody down the line who accepts it at face value rather than the actual and lesser worth is harmed. Yet someown something is wrong.

Since it cheapens the value of the find, yes it does. Rather like those folks who take a nip of gold off the coin at each step of it's circulation. Nobody down the line who accepts it at face value rather than the actual and lesser worth is harmed. Yet someown something is wrong.
I fail to see how the 'value of the find' has been cheapened. The only way I can imagine to measure this value is either my experiences in finding the cache or the value of one incremental smiley.

I go out and find a cache. I experience what I experience and log the find online. Someone else later finds the cache using some method that I didn't use (PAF, cheat site, clairvoyance, whatever). This later finder didn't change my past experiences nor did it cause my find log to be deleted.

The 'value' of my find has not changed.

Edited by sbell111

sbell,

I am going to have to agree with you on this one. Too many people turn this into a competition and for us the find is just "our" find. We could care less how anybody else makes or logs the find. I would only feel for the cache owner who went through the trouble of setting up a nice puzzle and then see's it cheapened by the give-away of the final location,whether on a website or through a PAF or whatever.

...I fail to see how the 'value of the find' has been cheapened. The only way I can imagine to measure this value is either my experiences in finding the cache or the value of one incremental smiley.

I go out and find a cache. I experience what I experience and log the find online. Someone else later finds the cache using some method that I didn't use (PAF, cheat site, clairvoyance, whatever). This later finder didn't change my past experiences nor did it cause my find log to be deleted.

I know you don't see the nuance, and quite frankly if you never bother with the details outside your own expereince, you would neither notice nor care. Just like a guy e working for years at minimum wage would be happy not knowing the new kid was hired at a higher wage for the same job.

That you are obvilivous at the individual level doesn't change the different value of the find by the different means and methods.

In your case I think the only thing we would have in common on this is the value we both place on the cache owners intent. Sometimes the only person who can find what the onwer intended is the FTF. Short circuit the intent and while you found what you found, did you place any premium on owners intent to potentially enjoy that kind of find more?

...I fail to see how the 'value of the find' has been cheapened. The only way I can imagine to measure this value is either my experiences in finding the cache or the value of one incremental smiley.

I know you don't see the nuance, and quite frankly if you never bother with the details outside your own expereince, you would neither notice nor care. Just like a guy e working for years at minimum wage would be happy not knowing the new kid was hired at a higher wage for the same job.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't intend your post to be as insulting as it was. That being said, I believe that your analogy doesn't work. A better analogy would be that someone is currently being paid more for a job that I used to have, than I was paid for it. That person's pay doesn't affect me because I no longer hold that job.
That you are obvilivous at the individual level doesn't change the different value of the find by the different means and methods.
Truthfully, I thought that I knew where you were going with this sentence, but now I'm not sure. Still, I can't see how teh new finder affected my memory of my caching experience at all. Nor did they affect my smileys.
In your case I think the only thing we would have in common on this is the value we both place on the cache owners intent. Sometimes the only person who can find what the onwer intended is the FTF. Short circuit the intent and while you found what you found, did you place any premium on owners intent to potentially enjoy that kind of find more?
I think that you are stating that the finder has somehow cheated the cache owner out of something. This has nothing to do with my posts to this thread. I suppose that I could argue that the cache owner isn't affected by small scale cheating, but I won't bother because if we cannot agree that some random third party cacher wasn't affected, there's no point in attempting the other conversation.
I fail to see how the 'value of the find' has been cheapened. The only way I can imagine to measure this value is either my experiences in finding the cache or the value of one incremental smiley.

A case can be made that the finds of those who did it right have more value than the finds of those who used a cheat.

A case can be made that the finds of those who did it right have more value than the finds of those who used a cheat.

Depends how you measure the value of a find. If you are only counting smileys, then the find of the person who solve the puzzle equals the find of the person who used the cheat site. Unless the cache owner decided to delete the log of the person who used the cheat site.

If you are a person who enjoys the challenge of solving a puzzle yourself then, for you, the value of solving the puzzle is greater than the value of using a cheat site. If you are person who gets frustrated working puzzles, then using a cheat site that provides you with a hint on how to solve the puzzle may have more value than sitting there frustrated getting no help from the cache owner. And if you are a person who hates working puzzles then the value of finding the cache because you used the cheat site is most certainly greater than having to just ignore the cache. Assuming each person is rational (which may not be a good assumption) they will pick the path that gives them the greatest value for the find. The value each person receives does not effect the value of any other person, except maybe the sadistic cache owner who puts out a difficult puzzle because he enjoys tormenting people who either don't like puzzles or he knows will have a hard time with this one.

Depends how you measure the value of a find. If you are only counting smileys, then the find of the person who solve the puzzle equals the find of the person who used the cheat site. Unless the cache owner decided to delete the log of the person who used the cheat site.

If you are a person who enjoys the challenge of solving a puzzle yourself then, for you, the value of solving the puzzle is greater than the value of using a cheat site. If you are person who gets frustrated working puzzles, then using a cheat site that provides you with a hint on how to solve the puzzle may have more value than sitting there frustrated getting no help from the cache owner. And if you are a person who hates working puzzles then the value of finding the cache because you used the cheat site is most certainly greater than having to just ignore the cache. Assuming each person is rational (which may not be a good assumption) they will pick the path that gives them the greatest value for the find. The value each person receives does not effect the value of any other person, except maybe the sadistic cache owner who puts out a difficult puzzle because he enjoys tormenting people who either don't like puzzles or he knows will have a hard time with this one.

First of all I could not care less about the find count. I'm not fond of puzzle caches. I seldome even look at them. But instead of using the cheat site I chose not to find and log them. I often hear an argument around here for most things that someone dislikes. "If you don't like 'em don't find 'em." I have never heard anyone say "If you don't like 'em cheat."

And I like that you called it a cheat site. No reason to go to a cheat site unless you want to cheat. :)

First of all I could not care less about the find count. I'm not fond of puzzle caches. I seldome even look at them. But instead of using the cheat site I chose not to find and log them. I often hear an argument around here for most things that someone dislikes. "If you don't like 'em don't find 'em." I have never heard anyone say "If you don't like 'em cheat."

And I like that you called it a cheat site. No reason to go to a cheat site unless you want to cheat. :lol:

I didn't mention find counts either. I guess I just assume people would enjoy find the cache there just as if it was a traditional cache. I can see that some people prefer to just skip it rather than do what they believe to be cheating. So I must take back what I said ... if you are a person who hates working puzzles then the value of finding the cache because you used the cheat site is most certainly may or may not be greater than having to just ignore the cache. If the person has a personal opinion that using a cheat site is unethical, they may see ignoring the cache as more valuable that finding it.

I used the term cheat site because that is what these sites are referred to colloquially. I posted above a list of video game "cheat" sites as an example. I could call them help sites if you'd like. I see a difference between getting answers for a game that in the end has no winners or losers and cheating on an exam, for example. Unfortunately some people, usually the same people who claim they could not care less about the find counts, can't grasp the concept that this is just a silly game and want to act as if the find count is a score that determines winners and losers. Geocaching is supposed to be about having fun and if people want to get help on puzzles as a way of having more fun geocaching then more power to them.

Sorry about that. Thats what a few beers will tend to do to ya :lol:

And I like that you called it a cheat site. No reason to go to a cheat site unless you want to cheat. :lol:

I didn't mention find counts either. I guess I just assume people would enjoy find the cache there just as if it was a traditional cache. I can see that some people prefer to just skip it rather than do what they believe to be cheating. So I must take back what I said ... if you are a person who hates working puzzles then the value of finding the cache because you used the cheat site is most certainly may or may not be greater than having to just ignore the cache. If the person has a personal opinion that using a cheat site is unethical, they may see ignoring the cache as more valuable that finding it.

I used the term cheat site because that is what these sites are referred to colloquially. I posted above a list of video game "cheat" sites as an example. I could call them help sites if you'd like. I see a difference between getting answers for a game that in the end has no winners or losers and cheating on an exam, for example. Unfortunately some people, usually the same people who claim they could not care less about the find counts, can't grasp the concept that this is just a silly game and want to act as if the find count is a score that determines winners and losers. Geocaching is supposed to be about having fun and if people want to get help on puzzles as a way of having more fun geocaching then more power to them.

Being one who cares less about find counts, I DO care if someone bypasses the first stages of a multi I worked hard to set up. If you can't bother yourself to do the whole cache, please stay away from my caches and likewise, if you feel the need to help people bypass stages, please do so with other peoples' caches, maybe they'll feel differently than I? Listing the final stages to multis, the answers to puzzles and any other spoilers info seems cheap to me, the only people you're really helping are those too lazy to do for themselves!

I see this as helping those who like to add TFTC as a log too!

Sorry about that. Thats what a few beers will tend to do to ya :D

Ahhhhh... that also explains "themselfs" :lol:

What do you guys think?

I'd tell you what I think of your friend and his idea but they'd toss me out of here.

I'll do it for my friend GOF - The idea is idiotic and only an idiot would use such a site. Although lots of those types around today so it may become popular.

Edited by Frank Broughton
Why am I hearing "ROAD TRIP!" over and over in my mind? ;)

I'm afraid I don't get the reference to the joke, but voices in the head is usually not a good sign. I mean, just look at Vinny...

CUT THE CAKE!

DEATH MOBILE! RAMMING SPEED!

"Oh boy, this is great."

Edited by Frank Broughton

Might be helpful for a Pfalstad or Geokellys puzzle.. just saying.. ;)

I do not endorse this idea. However, I DO fully endorse the PAF network.

I hate to post here and help keep this topic alive, but I think that when people are saying that it is harming other finders it works like this

Some people take pride in having solved a puzzle that only 4 other people have been able to solve in the last 5 years. Lets face it, that is quite an acompleshment. Then if suddenly it is being found every week or so due to cheating, that previous finders could (likely?) feel that their work has been cheepend.

I hate to post here and help keep this topic alive, but I think that when people are saying that it is harming other finders it works like this

Some people take pride in having solved a puzzle that only 4 other people have been able to solve in the last 5 years. Lets face it, that is quite an acompleshment. Then if suddenly it is being found every week or so due to cheating, that previous finders could (likely?) feel that their work has been cheepend.

Exactly. Very well put. Thank you.

Exactly. Very well put. Thank you.

I want to start by saying, I do not endorse this idea at all.. er, I guess I already said that. But I hate to break it to you, it's already happening. At least in our area. When a new puzzle is posted on my end of town, it could sit for a week or more without being found. Then amazingly, one guy cracks it and by the end of the new week, 5 people have logged the find presumably having done no work at all. With the FTF hounds in our area, there's NO WAY that 5 or 6 caches miraculously all solved the puzzle the same day (a week out from posting).

What am I saying here? The current system works just fine. Why make it public.. ;)

oh nevermind. I am not sure what my point was.

That is if the Previous cacher(s) even give a hoot. I mean having been the first few to solve the puzzle ligitimately is an honor in itself. In fact it might seem that being the only ones in the last five years to do it ligitimately is more of a measure of how well they have dont it over the flood of cachers.

Im not on the side of the Site in question mind you. But everyone keeps throwing out "It cheapens the experiance for the ones whom did it before". Without thinking it through.

If i found a cache by solving a puzzle and if no one elsecould managege it ligitimately I might at first feel peeved but after a bit i think i would feel pretty good.

But everyone keeps throwing out "It cheapens the experiance for the ones whom did it before". Without thinking it through.

Ummm... please do not imply that any opinion different from yours is simply the result of not thinking it through. Thank you.

Double ditto.

I think it would be TOTALLY reprehensible, undefendable, unexcusable, and downright DASTARDLY to mark a cache with a Big Red X!

Where is the fun in that????

JeeeeeeeeSHHHH!! Give me a break! Give it a rest!!

Now....on the otherhand....if a person should mark each and every cache with a BIG PILE OF STICKS, preferably measuring at least two foot high and a four foot diameter....well then......now ya TALKIN'!!!!!!

Gooooooooo Big Piles Of Sticks!! We love you!!

:D;):)

This thread still active? I thought Mr. Cheese Eater had long since passed into history. I did find it fuuny though, just about all the cheating pages for specific caches (still all in Montreal, and all started by him) say the following:

Cache Description:

The Geocaching.com site terms of use prohibit copying this information.

Cache Help:

Just solve the puzzle.

But everyone keeps throwing out "It cheapens the experiance for the ones whom did it before". Without thinking it through.

Ummm... please do not imply that any opinion different from yours is simply the result of not thinking it through. Thank you.

Im not on the side of the Site in question mind you. But everyone keeps throwing out "It cheapens the experiance for the ones whom did it before" as a blanket statement that all cachers would seem to be ticked off at the premise that they have somehow been cheated when the opposite may be true.

Fixed for me.

So stop impllying that as a cacher my feelings are gonig to be hurt. Please keep your opinions correctly labled (IE: In my opinion I would feel cheated)

Edited by herrozerro