What I learned from EarthCaches

Lostby7

I have to say that while I am a college grad, I kinda skipped over most of the Earth Science stuff in favor of more biological interests. EarthCaches captured my attention though and I was instantly hooked. I have written over twenty listings (most of which I gave to friends or have now adopted out to "share the wealth"). Writing up these listings has been a great experience. I have learned so much about so many features: Waterfalls, bogs, marl pits, artisan wells, meteor impacts, all kinds of stone, caves, ancient lake beds, glacial sheet movements....and the list goes on and on. Spending hours and hours developing these listings has really been a labor of love.

What have you learned and how has EarthCaching changed how you look at the world?

Being a geologist I can't really say that something new has really shown up. I mean all those lectures and reading did somehow file away relevant pieces of information somewhere.

What EARTHCACHING has really shown me are remote corners of our globe with important and interesting geological phenomena that would have otherwise have gone unnoticed. Having said that I would extend the same criteria to all of geocaching. Most of the "normal" caches are in spectacular areas that were created by geological processes anyway.

Being a geologist I can't really say that something new has really shown up. I mean all those lectures and reading did somehow file away relevant pieces of information somewhere.

What EARTHCACHING has really shown me are remote corners of our globe with important and interesting geological phenomena that would have otherwise have gone unnoticed. Having said that I would extend the same criteria to all of geocaching. Most of the "normal" caches are in spectacular areas that were created by geological processes anyway.

Unlike Daniel, I am not a geologist and have learned a lot about geology in the pursuit of EarthCaches.

I think he said it well when mentioning that going to remote corners and noticing "important and interesting geological phenomena that would have gone unnoticed." To us, that is what EarthCaching is all about. :rolleyes:

I too am a geologist and being there is a whole lot better than looking at a photo.

The two things that impress me most are one the successful efforts of the non earth science majors. Secondly, the responses from children are a pleasure in themselves. If there is a photo, you cane see and read the enjoyment they get from learning.

I guess this might be the perspective of a mentor???

Edited by GEO WALKER

I did a few undergrad courses in my first year in earth sciences - and loved geography at High School.

But have doen nothing remotely like this in the 20 odd year working.

So EarthCaching has brought my supressed passion back to the fore.

I love doing EarthCaches when I get the opportuntity (few and far between in my part of the world unfortunately). And love looking for potential sites. I have a hit rate of about 1 EC for about every 20 - 30 ideas / sites that I see/get

I learned quite a bit about various formations and geological processes in school but that is quite different than going out to see them in person. I have learned quite a bit by being able to connect the actual examples to the book descriptions.

..and from what I've seen of your caches you bridge the gap from books to field very well. Well done and thanks.

Edited by danieloliveira

I learned quite a bit about various formations and geological processes in school but that is quite different than going out to see them in person. I have learned quite a bit by being able to connect the actual examples to the book descriptions.

..and from what I've seen of your caches you bridge the gap from books to field very well. Well done and thanks.

Thanks.

I have actually learnt some very interesting things from EarthCaches. I've seen kettle bogs in various stages of development. Terrydad2's Diabase dykes was very interesting. I've learnt a lot about reversing falls, and rock formations best seen from road cuts. I've found that I'm terrible at estimating anything! (Always carry a tape measure!) I've found that GPS units are not good for measuring the height of anything, especially cliffs. (Very bad reception at the bottom of the Palisades.)

What does surprise me is that I had thought that a glacial erratic is a boulder carried from one formation to another by glaciers. Purple puddingstone on gneiss, for instance. Gneiss on gneiss is nice, but I had not thought that that qualifies as a 'glacial erratic', for it is not 'erratic'. Oh, well. Live and learn.