Oldest Cache Still Active

GC30 iirc. It is one day older than the next oldest (in Oregon).

Along the interstate near the tiny, isolated NW Kansas town that bears the same name as the cache, its in a spot only a mower from the Kansas DOT would go and its in no danger of being destroyed by one of those. No reason why anyone else would walk past that area or find the hide particularly of note, so if they did wander by they wouldn't think anything of it. It is in plain sight, however. Between its inconspicuousness, out of the way location, and remoteness of destination, there's no wonder why its the oldest. It has been the oldest for quite some time.

Here's the oldest 100. About half are still active.

http://members.cox.net/pkpublic/index.html

GC30 iirc. It is one day older than the next oldest (in Oregon).

Along the interstate near the tiny, isolated NW Kansas town that bears the same name as the cache, its in a spot only a mower from the Kansas DOT would go and its in no danger of being destroyed by one of those. No reason why anyone else would walk past that area or find the hide particularly of note, so if they did wander by they wouldn't think anything of it. It is in plain sight, however. Between its inconspicuousness, out of the way location, and remoteness of destination, there's no wonder why its the oldest. It has been the oldest for quite some time.

Here's the oldest 100. About half are still active.

http://members.cox.net/pkpublic/index.html

I thought I remembered reading something awhile back that the order in which some of the earliest caches was not accurately reflected by their GC numbers nor the date on the listing when they were published. Geocaching.com didn't exist when the first cache was placed so at least some caches were created and placed before GC numbers existed and the posting service that we now all use was available.

While on a business trip a few years ago I found the oldest cache in Rhode Island one day and a couple of days later the oldest in Connecticut. The oldest in NY (GC39) is still on my TODO list and is a candidate for my 1000th find.