Is there such a thing as a dull cache?

Tonight I set a couple of caches and was bounding about quite the thing till a terrible thought came over me....were theses places DULL? Common sense sort of made me think that, for example, the sidetracked ones were no more duller than the ones I have found myself...and enjoyed nevertheless, but, still it is haunting me. How will I know?

Sadly yes there plenty of dull caches out there. But fortunately there are plenty of good ones too.

If you're after honest feedback then use this greasemonkey scrip in firefox which is being discussed in the GAGB forums.

Geo Vote

It's not in use by many cachers just yet (your own caches are yet to be rated) but I think it's a great way for people to give some honest feedback on caches.

Edited by *mouse*

Tonight I set a couple of caches and was bounding about quite the thing till a terrible thought came over me....were theses places DULL? Common sense sort of made me think that, for example, the sidetracked ones were no more duller than the ones I have found myself...and enjoyed nevertheless, but, still it is haunting me. How will I know?

Sometimes the places are dull - but somebody's put a lot of thought and effort into placing a well hidden, decent sized container.

Sometimes the place is excellent - and somebody's taken the time (not) to stick a film pot - or worse still, a nano - where there's no real excuse not to use a decent sized container......

I know which one I'd rather find :P :P but everybody else will have their own favourite

I have come across dull caches. Usually where the container is far too small for the location or where the hides in a series have all been the same. I'm rarely scathing in a log (never actually) but I might make a comment about there being scope for something bigger/better.

Things like Side Tracked or other "sets" of caches I tend to view as bread-and-butter stuff - the lure is getting a set, not a fab hunt/cache (although it's always nice to be surprised!) If I'm setting a series, I try to put the largest box possible and have different hides for each cache. They won't all be a box under a tree. I think I'm too scared to put a rating thing on though!

I guess if you would be happy to find your hide after a search, then it's most likely OK. I've hidden a couple where I've thought "that's dull" but they were part of a set and the options were limited.

I've hidden a couple where I've thought "that's dull" but they were part of a set and the options were limited.

The options are pretty clear - if you think a place is dull, put the cache somewhere else.

I've found some (more than enough) where the cache page and the location/container all point to the cache setter only putting the cache there because they wanted to put a cache out - and not because the area was worth visiting/the container was good/ or any other reason.

Please - no more " As I've been caching for a week and this is my first hide I thought I'd throw a film pot into a hedge in a city centre park" caches.

I can never understand why people do this - if it's your first cache, take the time, do some research, and make it something memorable!!!

There's nothing worse than coming across a micro placed because it was just another waypoint on a walk across some featureless fields - and finding later that it's less than a 1/10th of a mile from the ruins of a castle in the woods or some other significant spot!!!!!!

Sorry - drifting off topic.

If you're after honest feedback then use this greasemonkey scrip in firefox which is being discussed in the GAGB forums.

Geo Vote

It's not in use by many cachers just yet (your own caches are yet to be rated) but I think it's a great way for people to give some honest feedback on caches.

Gosh! I never knew that existed That's really neat!

I see that only one of ours has been rated and some of the ones we have found have been rated a tad high :P If it was more widely used it would even out I suppose...

Mark

I've hidden a couple where I've thought "that's dull" but they were part of a set and the options were limited.

The options are pretty clear - if you think a place is dull, put the cache somewhere else.

Well, no because if the series is "coal tax posts" you can't just leave it under a bench in a nice pub, it needs to be near the post. Unless you want to faff about with a "multi" using the limited numbers on the post. Some of these are in locations which lend themselves to a more interesting cache but others aren't.

I redress the balance with some rather more evil challenging caches elsewhere.

Well, no because if the series is "coal tax posts" you can't just leave it under a bench in a nice pub, it needs to be near the post.

AFAIK there's no law saying you have to put a cache at every coal tax post, any more than saying that every church in the country has to have a micro outside it.. :rolleyes::):laughing:

Edited by keehotee

Well, no because if the series is "coal tax posts" you can't just leave it under a bench in a nice pub, it needs to be near the post.

AFAIK there's no law saying you have to put a cache at every coal tax post, any more than saying that every church in the country has to have a micro outside it.. :rolleyes::):laughing:

Ah, but if I do, I get to claim second home allowance and expenses on the properties I "own" near the cache sites. ;)

Sadly yes there plenty of dull caches out there. But fortunately there are plenty of good ones too.

Geo Vote

Just tried this Geo Vote thing - interesting to see some early scores. One of my caches gets only 2 stars, 'below average', despite being a cunning hide of a regular box in the town centre, with a simple but interesting puzzle about the history of the town, and with great cache logs on the page. 2 stars? May be 'honest' but a slightly odd opinion, IMHO! Wonder what I'd have to do to make it 'above average'?! It's only had one vote - wonder who?! - so maybe things will improve. :rolleyes:

See History

I also like the ability to vote for my own caches - think I'll give this one 5*! :)

If the ratings go like most systems, they will all tend to bunch around the middle. People are usually reluctant to give 1 or 5. Think the tag 'waste of time' will deter many folk from giving 1s, perhaps a better phrase would be more encouraging.

I agree with everything you said. I wish there would be a rating option when you log your find.

So many caches are freaking skirt lifters in a walmart parking lot, or in the middle of a PI/chigger patch. Or the ammo box under 1000 sticks in the woods.

We don't have all the time in the world to cache, so we like to find interesting places with thoughtfully placed caches.

We are almost to the point of finding a new hobby over this issue.

A rating system for the caches is a desperate need!!

I've heard some people are getting bored of find caches which are under stones/sticks as they are easy to find, there are new types of caches which these geocachers hunt but aren't really in the uk atm. (navicaches and terracaches) They are meant to be more difficult but who knows...

personally I enjoy walking and finding caches is just a bonus. I don't set out at the start of the day to find them but like today I was looking around church's as I am getting married next year. I pulled out my iphone, looked for the nearest cache (normally in the church) did it and my partner and I went to do the next thing she had planned for the day. So if I find a cache which is hidden under sticks/stones or in ivy which is growing up a tree/wall it doesn't bother me. I just enjoy finding them if they are near by where ever I am.

I've only just started hiding caches and I've deliberately made them so they aren't under sticks/stones, I don't make them easy to find to make the hunt more rewarding when its found. I also think, that sometimes the reward is just having a nice walk and discovering new places regardless of finding the geocache or not

I've heard some people are getting bored of find caches which are under stones/sticks as they are easy to find, there are new types of caches which these geocachers hunt but aren't really in the uk atm. (navicaches and terracaches) They are meant to be more difficult but who knows...

lol - Navicache and Terracache aren't new kinds of cache - they're other listing sites (other than Geocaching.com, that is) - and they've been around for quite a few years.... and their caches are no more difficult than these are. :rolleyes: