Was grandfathering virtual caches a bad idea?

The major problems with Waymarking as a site is that there are very few places in general on the site, the site doesn't get enough visitors to effectively make use of the "favorites" portion, and there's no way to apply the GPX or PQ aspect to it. I'd love for there to be a category of "very cool places to visit on a side trip" and have that be across the U.S., and I could cull these with pocket queries and favorites - but that isn't happening any time soon. Here's the key point: As long as people still cling to the notion that virtuals may possibly be coming back some day (hey - they brought back Earthcaches!), then people won't be utilizing the newer system.

I don't "do" Waymarking, nor am I likely to. I'm a geocacher, not a waymarker. I strongly suspect that is true of the majority of us here. You are right that part of the problem is that they don't tie into Pocket Queries. I can download a PQ that puts me within 0.1 miles of what might possibly be the greatest Waymark location ever logged, but I won't know it (well, not based on that PQ, anyway). And while I'm not the world's biggests numbers geek, I do still like seeing my count add up. After all, I do a lot of work to get those numbers.

You apparently have found some virtuals that weren't worth keeping around (in your opinion, of course). I have not. I have never been to one that didn't make me go "Wow!" (yeah, that "wow" factor). I have no interest in trying to get virts back, but I am very glad that we have got the ones that we do have.

As a fairly new cacher, just my two cents:

I love virtuals in cases where cache placers have been unable to put a physical cache because of rules.

Waymarking would be an acceptable replacement in my view, if I could download a pocket query for a visit area and then manage them for uploading into my GPS like other cache types.

As it stands now, I'm not interested in logging visits to all the McDonald's or the Ethiopian markets in my area.

If you were to make me choose between a virtual and a micro cache, I'd rather do the virtual in a second.

To round this out, and I understand I'm in a minority here, I'd like to see a "history cache" category where virtuals would be allowed in those circumstances where a physical cache logging requirement is not possible (such as a visit to the Air Force Academy Cathedral).

I should note too that there are SOME cachers that don't want to root around under a tree in an urban setting to find a micro cache but enjoy what they get out of visiting a site and proving they've been there by answering some questions, taking a photo and learning a little about the subject matter.