Questionable TB

RockhoundMT

Yesterday I stopped by one of my caches for maintenance and found a pocketknife TB inside. Furthermore, it's not activated. I thought that knives are the sort of thing you really shouldn't leave in a cache...and there is no way to contact the owner or track it in any way. What do I do with it?

Take a look at this thread in the Travel Bug forum (there are others as well) http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...4&hl=knives

Bottom line: Some will say that it should be a capital offense, while others will say that those that think that should be locked up. :P

Other responses naturally fall between those two extremes. Its a hot topic, but I think that most would generally frown on it. On the other hand, there's nothing much that you can do about it aside from sabotaging the TB, which would also be "generally frowned on".

Edited by knowschad

Take a look at this thread in the Travel Bug forum (there are others as well) http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...4&hl=knives

Bottom line: Some will say that it should be a capital offense, while others will say that those that think that should be locked up. :P

Other responses naturally fall between those two extremes. Its a hot topic, but I think that most would generally frown on it. On the other hand, there's nothing much that you can do about it aside from sabotaging the TB, which would also be "generally frowned on".

a paradox!

Yesterday I stopped by one of my caches for maintenance and found a pocketknife TB inside. Furthermore, it's not activated. I thought that knives are the sort of thing you really shouldn't leave in a cache...and there is no way to contact the owner or track it in any way. What do I do with it?

Big Picture.

A Knife is a handy tool. You would be hard pressed to get along in this world without them (or their cutting tool kin) in your life. They make life on Earth that much easier.

Little Picture

Some land magers perish the very thought of a pocket knife in a cache on their lands. Solution. Create a rule on GC.com that prohibets them as SWAG in a cache.

Solution to the Little Picture when it comes to a TB.

Move the Pocket Knifte TB to a location where they are appreciated.

Could you confirm exactly which cache you found it in?

Yes I know that cache, I suppose I could ask the last few visitors if they left it...

Could you share it with me? :P I'm more concerned about finding the owner and getting it activated than I am about the attached traveler.

Could you confirm exactly which cache you found it in?

Yes I know that cache, I suppose I could ask the last few visitors if they left it...

Could you share it with me? :P I'm more concerned about finding the owner and getting it activated than I am about the attached traveler.

send it to me. ill take care of it.

Not to be ignorant or sadistic, but if the TB is not activated, take the knife off and keep it. Then activate that TB, attach something safe to it and send it on its way. Original owners loss, just my opinion.

Nawwww... if you feel that you have to "fix" it, then just epoxy the blade shut.

Me, I had my own pocket knife by the time I was in 1st grade, and I was allowed to use it without my parents there. I do not know of any children today that cache without their parents, and very few that are really even allowed to explore the woods by themselves. To me, its a non-issue.

I think I understand the "no knives in geocaches" rule, but a pocket knife (or multi-tool) seems to be a must have for most cachers. Also, aren't parents with the kids when going caching - I have only twice found such a thing in caches, and took it both times. The first time I grabbed it because I was thinking about the rule of no knives and didn't want it to stay (wasn't that great). The other time it was a FTF prize and I was the FTF so I took it.

I think we don't want things that can immediately hurt us (or our kids) when first reaching into a cache - like an open blade knife, but a closed pocket knife shouldn't be a problem (in my opinion only) and would make great swag.

Let us know how this one turns out.

Is there a possibility that it is activated, but the tracking numbers were entered incorrectly?

Is there a possibility that it is activated, but the tracking numbers were entered incorrectly?

I'm not as concerned about the knife as I am about the inability to track it...I never go anywhere (except on a plane) without my pocket knife. I tried the numbers 3 times, I'm pretty sure I entered them correctly. I emailed the cacher that I think was most likely to have left the TB (the last visitor and only 33 finds), still waiting for an answer.