Crazy idea... doing a Century

hoagies

Hi all,

We're newbies, but eagerly getting involved. We've started geocoins, traveled to several states, and found over 30 caches. I know, we're geo-babies. But we got this idea in our heads...

One of the caches we "found" (but cannot report as found yet) requires a Century, 100 caches in a day. We found an area east of Hershey PA that includes 130 caches in a relatively small area, forming a nice backwards "C" shape. The "Century" cache is in the Hershey Park parking lot, so it seems reasonable that there must be a place around here to actually accomplish this feat.

But we're doing the math. 1080 minutes (18 hours) divided by 100 caches = 10.8 caches per hour or less than 6 minutes a cache. This area just seems too spread out for that - it's about 7 miles by 10 miles square.

My question is... are there other areas that are more condensed for attempting our Century??

What other hints / tips / tricks can you offer?

We figured this would be a great way to forget unemployment for a couple days...

Thanks!

Log the cache - that is known as an ALR cache and those cannot be enforced anymore due to a recent guidelines change. (ALR=Addtional Logging Requirement).

Lots of places allow for tons of finds in a day. I personally know at least 1 cacher that found 240 in about 24 hours. There are claims of cachers finding over 300 in 24 hours but some of thier methods seemed questionable. I watched a group (that stayed together the whole time - find 85 in about 12 hours time. Planning - lots of planning. My personal best was just 20 in a day but it only took 4 hours.

Careful route planning in a cache heavy area. It will require a bit of research, I suggest plotting all possible hunts into your mapping program so you can see where they fall in regard to streets, rivers, and other obstacles. As you determine the best route, try to keep it to right turns as much as possible to avoid waiting at lights or crosswalks. Keep distances as short as possible between. An early start is essential, so keep the time of day in mind to avoid finding yourself in school zones or in industrial settings while everyone is trying to get to or from these locations.

Log the cache - that is known as an ALR cache and those cannot be enforced anymore due to a recent guidelines change. (ALR=Addtional Logging Requirement).
I would think that this would fall under the "challenge cache" section of the guidelines, since it is geocaching related. As such, it would be exempt from the ban on Additional Logging Requirements.

We have a winner.

There are enough caches out there to forget about some caches. It's just not worth the effort.

Thanks, all. I don't mind the ALR - and we are thinking of going for it.

We're planning to go as a group, and to stay together so that we can all log all caches, but none of us has cached in this area before. We are already planning, and considering getting a campsite for our RV and/or a couple tents for the nights before and after, to eliminate the pre-dawn drive - the area we found is semi-rural, and I'm fairly certain there are nearby RV sites.

What I was hoping to find were some additional recommendations on cache-heavy areas in south eastern or south central PA, or anywhere reasonably close to us here...

Thanks.

A friend of our found 100 in a day but I'm not fond of the method. They went with someone that had already found all of them before? They mapped out the route and acted as driver & guide.

Geez what's the point? :)

So, the guy who found all of them already just chauffeurs the cache seeker from one spot to the next?

"There's one behind the post over there..."

... there's another one in a knothole in that tree over there... "

"There's One under that mailbox ..." :D

And the "cache seeker" (can we even call him that?) jogs over & marks an X in the cache logbook & moves on?

Gosh that sounds like a LOT of fun..

Geez what's the point? :D

So, the guy who found all of them already just chauffeurs the cache seeker from one spot to the next?

Everyone plays differently. Some like numbers and some like the places they visit. It's all good.

I *think* am going to put our a guardrail cache that is a typical numbers cache. (If you know my caches this is TOTALLY out of character.) I am going to name it "Ad Nauseam" and use it for numbers folks to log temporary caches at our next event. Then I don't have multiple attended logs and they can get their smileys if they want them. Plus, if you like numbers a lot, you can log it as much as you want! It's all good. Play how you want!

I am going to name it "Ad Nauseam" and use it for numbers folks to log temporary caches at our next event. Then I don't have multiple attended logs and they can get their smileys if they want them. Plus, if you like numbers a lot, you can log it as much as you want! It's all good. Play how you want!

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.... :)

:D