FTF

slagent

My boyfriend and I are starting to hide our own caches and we are having a hard time finding FTF items for cachers. What would be ideal FTF items?

Jess80&Mike99

Depending on the size of the cache: A lottery ticket, free drink token from a local pub, gift card for a meal at a fast food place.

For bigger and more elaborate and tougher caches, maybe a t-shirt or a ball cap as a reward.

Make the FTF fit the difficulty of the cache, especially if it is the final cache of a long series. Easier caches should have a small reward. Very tough caches should have a bigger reward.

My first and only cache is in a small container. I simply used a lottery ticket as a FTF prize, but I have plans for a series sometime this summer with a nice prize for the final one in the series.

Todd

I have 90+ hides and I will offer a FTF prize only if it is a small 0r regular size cache.

We offer nothing for micro or nano caches so far.

The value of the prize is usually related to the difficulty of the hide.

We are working on a Cachers Cache of Caches for our 100th hide and the FTF will have a lot to choose from including one empty 50 cal ammo can next to the one that is the cache itself. It will be full of caching equipment.

I'm not sure if anyone can view it before it is reviewed but here it is GC1M9JD.

I agree with fizzy, not so much that the FTF race has done damage, though I've seen more bruised feelings over it than just about any other aspect of caching, but that there's no need to edit the listing to include FTF, or leave any special prizes.

The prize for the real FTF seeker is the blank log, as well as the opportunity to see the cache as the cache owner originally created it. Pick of swag, if there is any, or if that matters to a seeker.

There are a couple of caches where the cache owner has edited the page to include something like Congratulations to Isonzo Karst FTF. I'd rather that they had not. I've never made a FTF claim in a log, whether the log was signed or not. Just so you know that not all cachers will be happy to see you edit your listing to include that phrase.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Just had my first cache posted and it has already been found. How do I congratulate the FTF on the cache listing page? Do I need to disable the listing to do it or just edit it?

You can go to your geocache page and select "edit". Then you can leave your congratulations for all to see.

Don't do FTF congratulations or prizes. The whole FTF thing has damaged the hobby, making a competition out of something that shouldn't be. I recommend that unless you have a good reason to reward the FTF, you just ignore it.

I respectfully disagree with fizzymagic. Geocaching is what one makes of it. There are many geocachers, me included, who feel that a FTF prize adds to the hunt. I have no arguement for anyone who thinks differently, therefore they should ignor this aspect to geocaching. Just leave those of us who do enjoy providing and recieving these prizes alone. Providing a FTF prize will not end the sport as we know it. Next you will be telling me that LPCs and nanos are bad for the sport too! :D

What part of Geocaching is not a competition?

Whether it be hider vs seeker or seeker vs seeker.

If you see everything as a competition, then you will certainly see geocaching as one, too.

And make it worse for the rest of us. By (for example) posting obnoxious FTF logs where you

:D:D:D DECLARE YOURSELF THE WINNER!!!!! :):):)

:D:):D WOO HOO!!!!! SUCKERS!!!!! :D:(:D

which makes the rest of us read about how wonderful you think you are for getting there first.

If you want to make a new site called ftf.com, feel free. Otherwise, the vast majority of cachers I know would prefer that you keep your little competition to yourself.

If you see everything as a competition, then you will certainly see geocaching as one, too.

And make it worse for the rest of us. By (for example) posting obnoxious FTF logs where you

:):):) DECLARE YOURSELF THE WINNER!!!!! :):):)

:P:P:P WOO HOO!!!!! SUCKERS!!!!! :P:P:P

which makes the rest of us read about how wonderful you think you are for getting there first.

If you want to make a new site called ftf.com, feel free. Otherwise, the vast majority of cachers I know would prefer that you keep your little competition to yourself.

I don't know who all the cachers are you know but they all sound boring to me!

My boyfriend and I are starting to hide our own caches and we are having a hard time finding FTF items for cachers. What would be ideal FTF items?

Jess80&Mike99

A blank logbook is all most geocachers are looking for. FTF prizes are neither common or expected in most areas.

Just had my first cache posted and it has already been found. How do I congratulate the FTF on the cache listing page? Do I need to disable the listing to do it or just edit it?

You can go to your geocache page and select "edit". Then you can leave your congratulations for all to see.

I never understood the point of editing the page to announce the FTF. I don't think most geocachers give a clam's patootie who the FTF is, and for those who do all they need to do is look at the logs where it's usually obvious who the FTF is.

Edited by briansnat
I've seen more bruised feelings over it than just about any other aspect of caching

Can you elaborate a little please? I can understand the opinion that the FTF fuss might be overdone, but why would it hurt someones feelings?

Not trying to disagree, just want to understand.

I get the feeling that the folks who really look down upon FTF prizes exhibit a certain snobbery. I believe that they think the purity of geocaching is at stake. I hope I am wrong about this and that I may be reading too much into the threads dedicated to this topic. I believe that having a FTF prize is just another variation of this activity. I understand that some (or many) cachers do not want to take part in the FTF prize aspect of geocaching. However, they should not be critical of those who do.

I can sort of understand the bruised feelings (or at least a bit of disappointment in an otherise enjoyable activity). My family is still new to this, having only started in March, and I think it would be nice to eventually have a FTF (no prize needed!). I have subscribed to the e-mails to find out when new caches are published, and when I look at the listings (usually as soon as I get the e-mail), there is always already a FTF posted. How does that happen?

With work and other activities, I know we will be more casual cachers than some. But it would be nice to have a shot at finding one first. But it doesn't seem possible, when the caches seem to have already been found before they are published...

Well, by definition a competition must have clear rules, an ultimate goal, and clear winners and losers. Geocaching doesn't have any of these things.

It doesn’t have clear rules?

I do believe there are set rules and even a review process!

It doesn’t have an ultimate goal?

I would think finding a cache is a fairly well defined goal.

It doesn’t have clear winners and losers?

Then why log a find (WINNER)or a DNF (LOSER)?

Geocaching has all of these things!

Edited by Pat in Louisiana

It doesn’t have clear winners and losers?

Then why log a find (WINNER)or a DNF (LOSER)?

I agree with one small qualification. A DNF should not be viewed on a win/lose criterion. It is just a statement of fact. A DNF may be due to a cache being missing or it may be a testiment for a cache well hidden. We need to eliminate the negative perception of DNFs so the cachers will post more of their DNFs. This would lead to a more accurate log history.

I get the feeling that the folks who really look down upon FTF prizes exhibit a certain snobbery. I believe that they think the purity of geocaching is at stake. I hope I am wrong about this and that I may be reading too much into the threads dedicated to this topic. I believe that having a FTF prize is just another variation of this activity. I understand that some (or many) cachers do not want to take part in the FTF prize aspect of geocaching. However, they should not be critical of those who do.

Even when those who participate in the FTF race enter parks illegally during hours they are closed, and when those who participate write obnoxious logs, and when those who participate tear up the cache's surroundings in their fervor to be :P:P FTF!!!!! :P:P ?

I may be a snob; I've been called that before for my insistence on actually being present and signing the logbook myself before claiming a find. I think FTFs on particularly difficult caches are fine; if the cache goes unfound for a week or more, then FTF means something. For the vast majority of caches, though, it's a silly thing that causes much more harm than good.

As I have said before, nobody begrudges you your little game, but since it's not really a part of geocaching please don't impose it on the rest of us. Find someplace else to taunt each other.

I absolutely agree with fizzymagic on this one. I have no problem with the FTF hounds having their fun but I do not like the "FTF at any cost" mentality that pops up from time to time. There really should never be a reason for cachers to break the local laws to find a cache or to tear up the area looking for it. If the hider didn't need to tear up the area to place the cache the searcher shouldn't need to do so to find it. This applies to all cachers, not just the FTF hounds.

Even when those who participate in the FTF race enter parks illegally during hours they are closed, and when those who participate write obnoxious logs, and when those who participate tear up the cache's surroundings in their fervor to be :rolleyes::) FTF!!!!! :laughing:;) ?

I may be a snob; I've been called that before for my insistence on actually being present and signing the logbook myself before claiming a find. I think FTFs on particularly difficult caches are fine; if the cache goes unfound for a week or more, then FTF means something. For the vast majority of caches, though, it's a silly thing that causes much more harm than good.

As I have said before, nobody begrudges you your little game, but since it's not really a part of geocaching please don't impose it on the rest of us. Find someplace else to taunt each other.

You make very good points and I am in agreement that those who try to be FTF at any costs is harmfull to us all. Such activity must be discouraged. However, I believe that this has to do with individual personalities and not with FTF seekers as a whole. If FTF prizes didn't exist, these same boorish individuals would be giving Geocaching a bad name some other way. BTW, sorry for the snob remark. At the time, I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, how FTF prizes would have any negative effects.

I think there is room for both "camps" here. I sometimes go for a FTF, and sometimes don't. The thing I like best about an area that has some FTF hounds is the "mini-events" at the cache site.

I would definitely not like people with an "at all costs" attitude about ANYTHING in geo-caching - it is just not that important.

If a new cache pops up and I can reasonably go after it, then I will and will enjoy the FTF honors, but I will not "tear up" anything to get FTF.

There are many different aspects to geo-caching to many different people. For me it was numbers for awhile, now it is more about "clearing" out the immediate area around my home coords, and finding different types of hides in different areas. That is what is so cool about Geocaching... it can be so many different things.

I am amazed by the strong feelings posted here. I have seen some heated FTF topics, but not about "should you care?". FTF is a sub activity of geocaching. like it or not, it is here to stay. I always try to get a FTF if a new cache appears near me, and so far no heart feelings. I have even got one (and my dauter another). Hers had 2 lotto tickets, the one I got had an empty log. Both were cool, both fun, both rewarding, and no harm was done to either the caching community or any other cacher.

I realy don't get the anger displayed by the anti-FTF camp. If you don't like FTF, then there is nothing to worry about. Just keep on caching.

As far as the hurt feelings go, there realy is not place for that. I thought I had a FTF, but I opened the logbook, and there was a signature already. Well, using my mobile phone, I got the FTL (I know, sore looser thing to do), and the FTF got upset, claiming that I was not FTF, he was. Well, there are the hurt feelings. But any rational person can put a quick end to this. I just e-mailed him telling him that I was not claiming FTF, just the sore looser FTL. Then I changed my log to make it a little clearer that I was not FTF, and problem solved. As you can see, there is no time that anyone should have hert fellings.

As for obnoctus posts, I have never seen one quite like you showed, but who realy cares what others post. But realy, if that makes you upset, grow some skin!

Hey folks,

While residents of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, my wife and I are usually Snow Birds in the winter months. This past winter, we spent four months in Zephyrhills, Florida, and near the end of this past February, a young couple we met told us about GeoCaching while we were watching the sky divers at the airport. I registered on the web site and started looking for caches. In March we had to come home for ten days while our daughter was in the hospital, and I spent some of the time looking for caches at our Pennsylvania home.

Maybe I missed something while starting my GeoCaching in Florida, but the whole First To Find thing seemed to be extremely competitive in Pennsylvania. I did not remember seeing any of the "spiking the ball" type log comments for the FTFs in Florida, but up here in Pennsylvania, it seemed like some of these folks get really serious about getting FTFs, and some of the folks can log their FTFs in a manner that reminds me of the professional football players who spike the ball, dance the dance, and jump it the air to bump chests after a touchdown. That sort of thing does not suit my personal tastes, and I haven't watched football for many years because of the exhibitionist players and similar fans.

There is one fellow back here who makes FTF posts that I thought were too "in your face" for me. When I looked at his profile and his picture, I found that did not actually have horns or anything, and then I started reading his other logs and information I could find on his activity. After an hour or so of reading, I thought he seemed like a pretty interesting guy. I also think if I would forget about his FTF logs that bothered me, I would probably get along quite well with him if I ever met him. He has a bunch of hides he has placed, and I have found a few of them. Actually, I hope I get to meet him some day - in spite of his ball spiking FTF logs.

I don't know why the folks in Florida seem less competitive about FTFs, but that it the way it seemed to me. I notice that Isonzo Karst commented on the FTF thing in Post 9. I don't know where he lives in Florida, but I sure remember his name on a number of caches around the Zephyrhills area I was searching. Thanks Mr. Karst for all your caches - even if some of them required more effort to get to them than I was willing to expend.

I have enjoyed my time GeoCaching, and in my case, I do not think of it as competitive at all. Yes, it seems some folks can be quite competitive about it, but it has seemed to me that most of the folks I have met along the way do not seem to look at it as a competition. I know the folks I have met GeoCaching have made my days more interesting, and that is a good thing to me.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Wow, I've gone after 5 or 6 FTF and was able to do it once. Feels pretty good did not get a prize but it was a micro. I like trying as I've always met other cachers, like said earlier a mini event. I've even met the hider a few times, they've been staking out the cache to see the action.

LazyCats are you sure they are FTF logs. A new posted cache will have at least two logs before the FTF. One that it was placed by the hider and another that the reviewer has posted it.

Edited by AlienHeads

Wow, I've gone after 5 or 6 FTF and was able to do it once. Feels pretty good did not get a prize but it was a micro. I like trying as I've always met other cachers, like said earlier a mini event. I've even met the hider a few times, they've been staking out the cache to see the action.

LazyCats are you sure they are FTF logs. A new posted cache will have at least two logs before the FTF. One that it was placed by the hider and another that the reviewer has posted it.

Yep, I'm sure. I had an e-mail come in on the 28th at 10:46 AM, I checked right around that time, and already someone posted on the cache "FTF! Didn't need th think too hard - thank you." I check this e-mail account daily, so at most, if a notification comes in overnight, I would get it at around 8:30 the next morning. If it comes in during the day, I check it out right then. I think we just live in a very active caching area.

Even when those who participate in the FTF race enter parks illegally during hours they are closed, and when those who participate write obnoxious logs, and when those who participate tear up the cache's surroundings in their fervor to be :):anibad: FTF!!!!! :anibad::D ?

I remembered fizzymagic as being the first to find on a pretty tough series of caches here that I recently did when he was visiting the area. He had to do a lot of work to figure them out and when he got here his posts were gracious and not only didn't trumpet or even make any mention of being the first to find (other than after having worked hard on it it was a treat to find it unfound on his birthday). Not only was he gracious, he left unactivated geocoins for the next person; to me that's class.

I mention this not to denigrate those who are excited about the FTF race but as an example of the FTF being done with class. I also think that he sums up quite nicely my feelings about my personal experience with FTFs well as it being a neat treat to see the blank logbook but the quality of the cache is more important :D

Even when those who participate in the FTF race enter parks illegally during hours they are closed, and when those who participate write obnoxious logs, and when those who participate tear up the cache's surroundings in their fervor to be :):anibad: FTF!!!!! :anibad::D ?

I remembered fizzymagic as being the first to find on a pretty tough series of caches here that I recently did when he was visiting the area. He had to do a lot of work to figure them out and when he got here his posts were gracious and not only didn't trumpet or even make any mention of being the first to find (other than after having worked hard on it it was a treat to find it unfound on his birthday). Not only was he gracious, he left unactivated geocoins for the next person; to me that's class.

I mention this not to denigrate those who are excited about the FTF race but as an example of the FTF being done with class. I also think that he sums up quite nicely my feelings about my personal experience with FTFs well as it being a neat treat to see the blank logbook but the quality of the cache is more important :D

Can't argue with that. It's just that, on this topic of FTF prizes, we should agree to disagree. I have the utmost respect to those who have posted on this topic. I believe we all want to do what is best for this sport/activity/hobby.

Can't argue with that. It's just that, on this topic of FTF prizes, we should agree to disagree. I have the utmost respect to those who have posted on this topic. I believe we all want to do what is best for this sport/activity/hobby.

Emphasis mine...

Really can't argue with that :)

One thing that I love about this game is that there is so much latitude allowing for personal playstyle. I love the fact that some people will drop everything and hop in the car and drive for hours to be FTF on a difficult puzzle.... I don't mind people noting the FTF in the log...

I just made my post I guess because I was reviewing some logs of the cache series I mentioned and noted Fizzymagic there and it all sorta tied together. It was a little off topic :anibad:

I look at it this way. In our area, we are all good sports when it comes to new caches. I've only have 1 FTF in the 98 finds currently on my record as of this post. I could have gotten more if I wanted to. But I was in no hurry to get any of them.

In fact, this happened just today. A new cache was published last night. It was at a cemetery so I waited until the next morning to go get it. If I really wanted to, I would have got up at dawn to go look for it since this particular cemetery was open from dawn to dusk. But I woke up around 7am, fired up the internet, loaded up GSAK and exported the caches that I wanted to find today into my PDA. Then off I went. I stopped at McDonald's to eat breakfast, then went on my way to the cache which was about another 6 miles.

I got there. No one around. It was a quick find and I open the log book. A friend of mine got the FTF only a half hour after I got there, so I just missed him. But he left the FTF prize in it and just signed the log. I left the FTF prize as well and signed the log as STF then left. I was still happy to sign a fresh log since new caches in our area do not get published very often.

I have had several STF's and TTF's and enjoyed each one. Was I upset that I missed on the FTF each time? Not at all. Each time I was STF and TFTF on a newly published cache, I e-mail the FTF'er "Nice job on the FTF". Many of the FTF'ers in my area are cachers I already know, so it's all good.

If someone wants to drop what he is doing at the moment the text message comes in and says a new cache is published, by all means, go ahead. Me, I'll go out and look for it when I can. If I get the FTF, it's a bonus. If not, it's still ok by me to sign a fresh log book whether I'm FTF, STF, or TTF.

I know some areas can get ultra competitive when it comes to racing after new published caches. Not my area. Some new caches would not get found for a day or two. We had one that was at a park & ride lot in a rural area that was not found for two months. Guess no one used that lot for their car pooling - lol

While we love geocaching, we don't drop what we are doing for the most part to look for a new cache. It's all about having fun doing it whether it's for the FTF, STF, or the 1000th to find (I've yet to see a cache with 1000 logs or more on it - lol).

To each his own in the race for the FTF.

You would need a level playing field. How many lamp post micro finds = a 20 mile hike? Are they the same? (If you are competing.)

I once read a log of a 15k+numbers cacher. They couldn't find the cache so they left an "angel" cache and logged the find. :anibad:

A blank logbook is all most geocachers are looking for. FTF prizes are neither common or expected in most areas.

Another reason I sometimes sign the log book in the back in minuscule writing. :) I once told a cacher this after they did a huge in your face typical FTF dance. They just looked puzzled and didn't seem to believe my log. Then they slowly walked away... :anibad:

Warning- this can cause angst.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Are you related to Bob? :D:D

who cares anyway!!!!!!!!!!

The best answer yet.

What would be ideal FTF items?

Jess80&Mike99

My favorite item is this. It doesn't help much as the FTF on most all of my caches is pretty much like me. FTF are nothing other than a fact. It doesn't really matter when you get there. It's fun to spoil their fun though!

bozo.jpg

You would need a level playing field. How many lamp post micro finds = a 20 mile hike? Are they the same? (If you are competing.)

Really? MLB doesn't have a salary cap. Indy car racing isn't the same as stock car racing. It's not always a completely level playing field in order to be deemed a competition. But, I digress. The real answer to this is that it's only a competition if you WANT it to be a competition.

You and your neighbor can both say that you're going to travel four blocks. If you take a leisurely stroll and your neighbor sprints the distance, he arrives first. But you both arrive. It's all about what is important to you. But please don't belittle your neighbor about what's important to him.

It's fun to spoil their fun though!

Do you really take pleasure in that? If so, you're worse than the people who get obnoxious about the FTF. At least they're simply getting carried away about a geocache find. You, on the other hand, seem to be causing more harm to the sport by being so disparaging about another person's excitement.

Now, I'm pretty new to the sport. I've read all the posts in this thread. I can see the side of those who have distaste for the FTF crowd, but the reasons indicated are usually that the FTF crowd has been obnoxious or destructive. In the case of obnoxious FTF'ers, it's just going to happen in some areas and you're going to have to deal with it. In the case of destructive FTF'ers I think everyone posting here agrees - tearing up a cache to be the FTF is bad form. But on both cases, we can't simply make the assumption that the inclusion of a FTF prize encourages any more obnoxiousness or destructiveness than not including a prize. Every cache has a FTF, whether there's a prize along with it or not (many have posted that even just a blank log book is the prize). The prize is simply an encouraging thing for the cache hider and potential seekers, just like any other piece of swag.

Remember, those who like being a FTF have to deal with the obnoxious and destructive cachers too - it's not something that is solely offensive to the anti-FTF-crowd. But the problem isn't the FTF prize or acknowledgment -- it's the cacher who becomes obnoxious or destructive in an attempt to get that acknowledgment.

:):):) DECLARE YOURSELF THE WINNER!!!!! :):):)

:laughing::D:laughing: WOO HOO!!!!! SUCKERS!!!!! :laughing::P:P

I don't know who all the cachers are you know but they all sound boring to me!

Me thinks that "Fizzymagic" has a BIG chip on his shoulder, and has got beat out of one to many FTFs himself this is why he is so bitter.

Scubasonic

I mention this not to denigrate those who are excited about the FTF race but as an example of the FTF being done with class. I also think that he sums up quite nicely my feelings about my personal experience with FTFs well as it being a neat treat to see the blank logbook but the quality of the cache is more important :P

mrbort,

How much is fizzymagic paying you to say these kind words......... :laughing: come on really from what you said he sounds like the model cacher, :D but based on all his posts here from the very first one he is attacking, insulting and down right rude when he talks about people that enjoy going after FTFs :laughing: which I happen to be one of those people. He does not strike me as being all that gracious as you say you can feel the anger in his words as you read them.

Maybe you are confusing fizzymagic with someone else all together, or maybe he has had some life altering event happen in his life......... :laughing: cause he flat out does not seem to be the same person that you are referring to. Sounds like a egotistical J--K

Scubasonic