New Firmware to Stop Pirate Garmin Maps

I suspect that the recently reported "buzzing sound after turning off gps" is actually not due to faulty firmware but is a deliberate firmware fix for maps with fake codes or maps with locks stripped out.

Just thought I'd throw that up for discussion.

Edited by gallet

I think that it's just a firmware bug because I've seen some posts of people reporting that they had to format the card and retransfer the data and the problem was gone.

[my logic]So If they had an original map why did they get the buzzing sound. And if they had a pirated copy then the sound would continue.[/my logic]

I think that it's just a firmware bug because I've seen some posts of people reporting that they had to format the card and retransfer the data and the problem was gone.

[my logic]So If they had an original map why did they get the buzzing sound. And if they had a pirated copy then the sound would continue.[/my logic]

[my logic] Well they are not going to admit that their maps were pirated are they?

people reporting: see "weasel words"

The above is an answer to the Tinfoil Hats post.

It appears then that different firmware coincidentally has the same bug. the new 3.00 Vista HCx and the new 3.90 60CSx both buzz with pirate maps and do not buzz with non pirate maps.

And of course there is the *obvious question* if the firmware 3.00 and 3.90 are both faulty to the extent that the units are unusable then how can they still be available?

Edited by gallet
It appears then that different firmware coincidentally has the same bug. the new 3.00 Vista HCx and the new 3.90 60CSx both buzz with pirate maps and do not buzz with non pirate maps.

Source?

Just to prove this wrong I will backup my MapSource keys from the registry, google for a keymaker, generate a new key, generate a new (but small, to save time) map (backing up my old one first) and try.

And for having the same bug... I'm pretty sure those two firmwares share most of their code. First the 60CSx got support for maps larger than 2Gb, then the eTrex followed and inherited the same (buggy) code.

And of course there is the *obvious question* if the firmware 3.00 and 3.90 are both faulty to the extent that the units are unusable then how can they still be available?

Because they are not unusable to most people. It is when you get a problem that you search the forums for someone having the same issue and posts about it. But I do agree that Garmin should have done more testing before letting this out the door and perhaps even pull it back and fix it.

Edited by kallt_kaffe
Just to prove this wrong I will backup my MapSource keys from the registry, google for a keymaker, generate a new key, generate a new (but small, to save time) map (backing up my old one first) and try.

Didn't even need to generate new maps or vandalize my Mapsource setup. Found out that gmaptool was capable of removing the old keys and putting new ones in. No beep for me.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

[my logic] Well they are not going to admit that their maps were pirated are they?

You should read my response more carefully... I have said that people report having buzzing problems but reinstall of the memory card data fixes that problem. So it doesn't matter if they didn't say that they have a pirated copy of their maps or original. The problem went away after a reinstall.

'people report having buzzing problems' ??? In their heads maybe, where did you read that?

Google can help you. The device is supposed to shutdown to a point that the screen is blank and the speaker emits a buzzing sound. But I could find only two reports about that so it's just a bug.