Fence Post Caches

That is assuming that any modification to the fence post cap is needed. Most of the fence posts caches I have seen either have a container connected to a metal hanger, or have a PVC container in the post.

With the metal hanger, the hanger loops over the top of the post, and the cap covers it. To access, pop the cap, then use the hanger to lift out the container.

Generally, a fence with metal posts will place larger (up to 4") posts at corners, and every couple of 100 feet. Build a PVC container cache that will fit into the post. Make sure to add an eye hook on both ends. Elevate the container to just below the top of the post by dropping a stick (or small rocks) into the post. To access, pop the cap, and grab the top of the PVC container.

On 1.6.2009 at 8:50 AM, MasterAlthalus said:

To everyone who made a fence post cache, were the caps loose already or did you need to wiggle it a little bit to get it off so you could make the hole hide-y?

I have made some so I qualify to answer to this question.

I prefer to select a fence post which already lacks the cap for any reason. Then I can buy a replacement cap and modify it to support a container inside the post. For example, the cap may be too tight to open. In that case I can split the outer edge with a knife to let it move easily.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, arisoft said:

I prefer to select a fence post which already lacks the cap for any reason. Then I can buy a replacement cap and modify it to support a container inside the post. For example, the cap may be too tight to open. In that case I can split the outer edge with a knife to let it move easily.

My fence post cache is like that.  I had a pre-owned cap, and over the years it became matched to the others.  It's the only cap on that fence that is loose, and I notice that I can in fact tighten it slightly.  Finders who "test" the caps may skip it when it doesn't seem loose, even though slightly more force causes it to move easily.  I set it up like that when I visit.  So far, I don't think anybody's been fooled by the "not loose cap". It's probably partly because there really aren't a lot of posts there with caps to choose from.

• Helpful 1

I have a fence cap cache on my own fence. The cap is lifted off to reveal a Kinder Surprise egg containing a log roll. I have attached a pen to it using a length of string - the pen just dangles down inside the post. The Kinder egg is prevented from falling down inside the post by bolts through the post which hold fence panels in place. All nice, dry and weather proof. I often put foreign coins in it as swag. I don't mind if they're taken instead of traded as I have heaps.