What should I do

I have a cache called Digits This cache is a puzzel cache the whole point of this cache is that you have to break a 3 digit combination lock to open it. Today some one loged this cache as a find there log read couldn't get combo. so my question is should I delete this log the thing is this is only there second find but if I'm not mistaken don't they have to sighn the log for it to count as a find. they may have found the contaniour but if they couldn't open it I don't see how they could of sighned the log. So what should I do.

I'd explain it to them and delete. They should have been able to figure it out. They got to the cache and it was locked. obviously getting the lock open was part of the challenge.

Edit to add that now is the time to do it. They know they are new to this and they should know that being new they are likely to make a mistake or two. Someone with a couple of finds under their belt have had time to become set in their ways, both good and bad.

Edited by gof1

I have a cache called Digits This cache is a puzzel cache the whole point of this cache is that you have to break a 3 digit combination lock to open it. Today some one loged this cache as a find there log read couldn't get combo. so my question is should I delete this log the thing is this is only there second find but if I'm not mistaken don't they have to sighn the log for it to count as a find. they may have found the contaniour but if they couldn't open it I don't see how they could of sighned the log. So what should I do.

Keep this in mind.

I am relatvely new to geocaching. My first find was by accident. If it were a container that I could not open, the game of geocaching, for me, would have died in its spot.

In reality, who really cares if they opened the cache?

I also want to say that I do pocket queries. I wish I had time to read each and every description that goes along with the cache but I don't. For me, making the find harder is a turn off but thats an opinion.

If you really care about the numbers, and they mean the world to you, go ahead and delete the log. If you are in this sport/activity/game for the fun then leave the find and contact the person with the combination. I'm sure if they had the combo they would have opened it. Why make it hard to open and sign a log in the first place? Maybe when I hide a cache I will add some super glue to the lid and delete anyone who didn't have the foresight to bring vice grips with them.

Why make your cache difficult for people who aren't into your kind of puzzles?

I know, slightly sarcastic but you get my drift.

Keep this in mind.

I am relatvely new to geocaching. My first find was by accident. If it were a container that I could not open, the game of geocaching, for me, would have died in its spot.

I also want to say that I do pocket queries. I wish I had time to read each and every description that goes along with the cache but I don't. For me, making the find harder is a turn off but thats an opinion.

If you really care about the numbers, and they mean the world to you, go ahead and delete the log. If you are in this sport/activity/game for the fun then leave the find and contact the person with the combination. I'm sure if they had the combo they would have opened it. Why make it hard to open and sign a log in the first place? Maybe when I hide a cache I will add some super glue to the lid and delete anyone who didn't have the foresight to bring vice grips with them.

Really? It's a puzzle cache. The whole point is to figure out the puzzle. If you don't want to figure out the puzzle don't, just don't claim that you did.

Really? It's a puzzle cache. The whole point is to figure out the puzzle. If you don't want to figure out the puzzle don't, just don't claim that you did.

Yeah, really. They said they couldn't open the cache so whats the big deal?

Personally, if I don't sign, I don't claim. Of course I haven't run into a missing log yet but if I ever do, I will log it as found and note a missing logbook.

Don't know why some people have to make a fun hobby so complicated with arbitrary rules.

I think you made the right choice. From the looks of the logs, it doesn't appear to be that hard.

After all, what's the point of doing a puzzle cache and not solving the puzzle?

Personally, if I don't sign, I don't claim. Of course I haven't run into a missing log yet but if I ever do, I will log it as found and note a missing logbook.

Don't know why some people have to make a fun hobby so complicated with arbitrary rules.

If you are going to bypass the puzzle then why even have them? What is the point? If someone is going to log a puzzle cache without completing the puzzle they are either unaware of the puzzle or lacking in character. A new cacher may load the coords without realizing it is a puzzle to be solved. They should read the page but hey, they are just learning. The rest of us should know better. If we know better then to claim the find is lame.

Are you serious? Then why don't I just use Google Earth and zoom in to every cache and say I "found it"? :P

Are you serious? Then why don't I just use Google Earth and zoom in to every cache and say I "found it"? :P

If thats how you read what I said, so be it.

It's true. The internet is filled with "that kind" of people.

:D:laughing::D:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'll sign the replacement log I put back into the cache.

What is the difference between how you said it and how Casting Crowns read it? Every cache has some level of challenge. From simply walking up to it to needing special equipment or knowledge. The challenge on this one was to get the lock open. They finder failed to meet that challenge. What gives them the right to claim it? How is claiming it any different than Casting Crowns using GE?

Yes, I am an extremist. :laughing: Because you said it was "arbitrary". That was the whole purpose of putting a lock on the cache so they would have to figure out the combo.

Yes, I am an extremist. :P Because you said it was "arbitrary". That was the whole purpose of putting a lock on the cache so they would have to figure out the combo.

Yup, so a nice friendly outing with the kids is now turned into a PIA situation.

Real friendly game you want to play.

Oh well, there are a lot more "nice" people out there then there are a**es.

I made this cache for one reason to be a chalenge whats the point of marking it as a find if you didn't compleate the chalenge I can understand the person who went there today it was only there second cache and might of not even of known what a puzzel cache but the proper thing to do is to simply right a DNF

Yes, I am an extremist. :P Because you said it was "arbitrary". That was the whole purpose of putting a lock on the cache so they would have to figure out the combo.

Yup, so a nice friendly outing with the kids is now turned into a PIA situation.

forgot to put the nomex undies on, eh?

Really? So far I'm one of "those people" and an "arse". All you have managed to do is revert to juvenile behavior (assuming that you're an adult) by name-calling and making personal attacks. Hmmm....you really CAN tell a tree by the fruit that it bears. :D

...it was only there second cache and might of not even of known what a puzzel cache but the proper thing to do is to simply right a DNF

It's also amazing the number of people that can't figure out the pull down menu options when logging a cache. It looks like an honest mistake IMO, and they'll probably appreciate a nice *welcome* email explaining the difference.

What PIA situation? Perhaps it is a chance to teach the kids that not everything in life is easy? That sometimes you have to work to get what you want? Instead you want to teach the kiddies to cheat. Way to go!

What PIA situation? Perhaps it is a chance to teach the kids that not everything in life is easy? That sometimes you have to work to get what you want? Instead you want to teach the kiddies to cheat. Way to go!

WOW, taking this game a little seriously, aren't you?

Have a good day.

Have a good day.

Just advocating fair play.

Happy caching!

You people are stressing waaaaay too much. Let people play the way they want to play. Why do you care how they log the cache!? It's not like it damages you in any way. Lighten up, it is a G-A-M-E.

Whats the point of having a puzzel cache if people aren't going to do the puzzel and just log it as a find

You people are stressing waaaaay too much. Let people play the way they want to play. Why do you care how they log the cache!? It's not like it damages you in any way. Lighten up, it is a G-A-M-E.

Whats the point of having a puzzel cache if people aren't going to do the puzzel and just log it as a find

Why are you wasting so much energy worrying about it? It's not like it costs you anything.

In a desperate attempt to steer this back on topic:

I know I'm coming into this a bit late, as the OP has already decided on a course of action, but here's my $0.02 anyway. On rare occasions, I've had people log my puzzles without going through the process as designed. To date, I've let every one of these logs stand. While I do design my puzzles specifically to garner the blessings of those folks who enjoy them, I recognize that, at its roots, this is just a game, (not a religion) and as such, is not worth stressing over. If I thought someone mistakenly used the wrong log type, due to them not grasping how the drop down thingy worked, I might send them a friendly, tutorial note. If that didn't get them to change their log, I'd leave it alone. Life is too short to invent things to stress over.

I know I'm coming into this a bit late, as the OP has already decided on a course of action, but here's my $0.02 anyway. On rare occasions, I've had people log my puzzles without going through the process as designed. To date, I've let every one of these logs stand. While I do design my puzzles specifically to garner the blessings of those folks who enjoy them, I recognize that, at its roots, this is just a game, (not a religion) and as such, is not worth stressing over. If I thought someone mistakenly used the wrong log type, due to them not grasping how the drop down thingy worked, I might send them a friendly, tutorial note. If that didn't get them to change their log, I'd leave it alone. Life is too short to invent things to stress over.

There is a difference between "I got lucky and found your cache" or "I figured out a different way to solve this one" and "I just couldn't be bothered to do it".

There is a difference between "I got lucky and found your cache" or "I figured out a different way to solve this one" and "I just couldn't be bothered to do it".

Of course there is. I was simply pointing out that, had any of those three situations presented themselves at one of my puzzle caches, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. (They have/I didn't) The only issue I might address would be an accidental log type selection. Again, these are simply my views, and not a solicitation for action or support for a particular choice. As the cache in question is not mine, I have no dog in this "fight". I prefer to live as stress free as possible, and inventing slights just for the purpose of getting worked up over them just seems silly. If someone were of a different mindset, then I imagine their mileage would vary. :P

Why are you wasting so much energy worrying about it? It's not like it costs you anything.

Just to be clear, would it be OK if I walked out to a 5/5 kayak cache and, upon seeing there's a large body of water between me and the cache location, I just decide to log the find? I did try, I know the container is out there...somewhere. If you answer no, why not? It's just a G-A-M-E.

I see the container sitting on the ledge of the cliff....100' above me but I don't have climbing equipment, can I simply log the find since I see the container? I mean, why do I have to touch the container (except maybe to make sure it isn't a decoy...perhaps???)? If you say I can't log this, why not, t's just a G-A-M-E.

I find the first stage of an offset puzzle cache (stage one coords lead me to a statue with dates which I need to do some figuring with to get the next set of coords and the final). I can't do the figuring and make a mistake which leads me to nowhere, but I feel I did the work and at least found the first stage so I log a find...is this OK? If you say no, why not? It's only a G-A-M-E.

Finding the container is only half the battle, you need to sign the logbook too! Now, there are many situations where this isn't enforced (logbook too wet or full or missing altogether, no pencil/pen,nano container etc) but in each case, "I" will ask for verifivation of the location (what did the container look like, what was the style of hide etc). Not too many out there will go after a puzzle cache and then log a find without solving the puzzle, that's NOT a find since half of the battle for that cache type is to figure out how to open the container (and then you sign the logbook).

Just my 2cents worth. The whole idea of a puzzle cache is to solve it, that WAS the intended reasoning behind it, "to get the combination to the lock". as a few people have commented just because you know its there, or can see the cache doesnt mean you can log it as Found, especailly in these sort of caches. I might asd well put "found" when i drag a kml file into google earth, i can see them there, i know there there. might as well log em as found........ Play the game, enjoy yourselfs but play fair, most people here are MATURE and know the difference between wrong and right.

I was wondering if someone was going to make this distinction. For the cache in question, obviously the combo lock was used as part of the puzzle to solving the combo would provide access to the log. Most have recognized this and would not log a find without solving the puzzle. While one way to sign the log by "figuring out a different way to solve this one" would be to use a pair of bolt cutters I doubt that many would condone using such a solution. However, there may be other puzzle caches where "figuring out different way to solve this one" might allow one to find the cache, access the log book and sign it, without solving the puzzle as the CO intended. There was a 5 star puzzle cache published last year that I spent a bit of time trying to figure out (I finally did and found the cache as it was intended). However, based on clues in the listing and the area in question I was able to deduce the probably location and was actually within 5' of the cache on a reconnaissance mission before I solved the puzzle. To me, that area is just grey enough that if I were the owner of that cache I would most likely have allowed a find.

I was wondering if someone was going to make this distinction. For the cache in question, obviously the combo lock was used as part of the puzzle to solving the combo would provide access to the log. Most have recognized this and would not log a find without solving the puzzle. While one way to sign the log by "figuring out a different way to solve this one" would be to use a pair of bolt cutters I doubt that many would condone using such a solution. However, there may be other puzzle caches where "figuring out different way to solve this one" might allow one to find the cache, access the log book and sign it, without solving the puzzle as the CO intended. There was a 5 star puzzle cache published last year that I spent a bit of time trying to figure out (I finally did and found the cache as it was intended). However, based on clues in the listing and the area in question I was able to deduce the probably location and was actually within 5' of the cache on a reconnaissance mission before I solved the puzzle. To me, that area is just grey enough that if I were the owner of that cache I would most likely have allowed a find.

You made me chuckle. I was wondering who would mention the bolt cutters.

The people who keep saying "They aren't hurting you, their just playing the game their way" can't use that argument for cutting the lock as that would hurt the caching of others by wrecking the fun. Still, I supose that I'd be wrong for deleting a log like that to.

Back when I had a cache of this sort, I did receive threats of this nature, but nobody carried through on it. My favorite all time brute-force on that cache was the cacher that actually carried it off the hill and took it to a locksmith who cracked the lock in no time, signed the log, locked it all up again, and returned it to the original spot (approximately a three mile round trip hike) :P

Back when I had a cache of this sort, I did receive threats of this nature, but nobody carried through on it. My favorite all time brute-force on that cache was the cacher that actually carried it off the hill and took it to a locksmith who cracked the lock in no time, signed the log, locked it all up again, and returned it to the original spot (approximately a three mile round trip hike) :P

But that cacher did, in fact, find a way to solve the puzzle and sign the log. The effort was there. Not to mention they gave you a great story to tell. :D

Exactly why ALRs are no longer allowed!

Lighten up, he found the container. This game is about finding hidden things at given coordinates... he did that.

WAY too much emphasis is placed by some on signing the log. It may be seen as some sort of "rule" to sign the log but in cases like this there is no doubt that he found the hidden container. Mission accomplished. Signing the log is secondary.

I might asd well put "found" when i drag a kml file into google earth, i can see them there, i know there there. might as well log em as found........

A completely specious nonsensical response. He followed the coordinates with his GPS and found the hidden container - that's what this game is about, else it would be called GeoSigning if that was the point and deciding factor.

Looks like somebody new to the sport, so I'd probably write a polite email and ask them to change it to a Note or Delete themselves.

If I didn't get a response in a day or two, then I'd Delete it and have a happy day :P

Exactly! Could not have said it better myself.

Lighten up, he found the container. This game is about finding hidden things at given coordinates... he did that.

WAY too much emphasis is placed by some on signing the log. It may be seen as some sort of "rule" to sign the log but in cases like this there is no doubt that he found the hidden container. Mission accomplished. Signing the log is secondary.

ALRs prevented you from logging the find on-line, *after* you signed the physical log. This is not an ALR, it's a puzzle.

A friendly note is order- but the way that I've read the guidelines support deleting the log at the end of the day.

I am all for being lenient toward non-signing, but for someone to bypass the puzzle by simply not trying to do it....this is not a find IMHO. I would think the owner agrees and that's all that matters here. It's not an ALR, it's a puzzle cache where solving the puzzle to sign the logbook is needed. How does the cacher know this wasn't a decoy? Could be, maybe the CO placed a decoy and they found that one? How would the cacher know without solving the puzzle?

I'm notorious for not signing logbooks...a few FTFs, several nanos and even a few I found that were wet or had missing logs, but I knew I found the containers because I opened them!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

There are all kinds of different caches, to keep it nice and fun and interesting for everyone involved. I'd say it's a little bit weird to see "I don't bother to read descriptions, I don't like difficult things, and you are idiots for not all sticking to my point of view". There are more than enough caches that don't involve any complexity. So just accept the fact that there are caches that are more complex for those who like a real challenge. And "arbitrary rules" like "finding a caches=signing the logbook" only serve to define geocaching into what it is. Just like e.g. kicking a ball between a few poles in soccer is such an arbitrary rule which forms the essence of soccer.

Keep this in mind.

I. personally, don't like puzzle. And I do not have time to read all pocket queries when I DL them, that is why I went with Paper to start with and now an paperless with a PDA. If the person failed to read the instructions that's their problem and its not a find.

If they had the right COMBO but it wouldn't open for some odd reason then I would be more lenient, esp. if they told me what the combo is.

The quote: Why make your cache difficult for people who aren't into your kind of puzzles?

irritates me.

Again, I do not like puzzles, but if the CO went to the trouble of doing so much work for people who genuinely like this sort of thing then its completely in his right and desire to make it difficult for someone who just wants a smiley.

Have a good day.

I am wondering....would you be one of "those" parents that bully schools into ensuring that no child ever fails test/class or losses at football. That we are all winners despite not really winning?

Raising a nation of sore losers....

Yeah, its a game, and games have rules.

If there weren't rules then it wouldn't be a game.

Me thinks you should petition Groundspeak to rid Puzzle caches as they have with ALRs, since in your context he found the container.

Not an ALR here, it's a puzzle. When the frog does away with puzzle caches I'll consider changing my position.

Had there been a reason other than failure to complete the puzzle or find the cache I'd be more accepting of not signing the log. "I opened the cache and it was full of water so I couldn't sign." OK, no problem.

Geocaching is a game of finding a hidden container and signing the log, If we ignore the signing part they may as well shut down the geocaching site and we can all move to Waymarking.