Sad news - Billy Twigger

Some of you will remember that 'Billy Twigger', aka Ewan, suffered serious injuries after falling from a cliff on the Isle of Bute in September 2006. He has been in hospital more or less constantly since then. I am sorry to report that he died today around noon. Those of you who were lucky enough to meet him will remember what a fantastic person he was, as well as what a fantastic cache placer he was too!

His father asked that I pass on this sad news to the geocaching community.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Oh Boy :P

Like many I never met him but had followed his story through here and find it very sad that someone obviously so well loved has passed away. It makes the way I spent today playing with my two young boys all that more precious and I hope that Ewan's family have similar memories to keep them going now :D

I hope that Ewan's family have similar memories to keep them going now :P

I am sure they have!

I have had the honour of meeting Ewan several times. He was one of those people that whilst you were in his company you were happy and smiling, he was infectious. :D I have a few good memories, that just thinking about them has put a smile on my face.

He is already sorely missed. :D

Not unexpected news, but still shocking, and very very sad.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Ewan, but the circumstances of his accident and subsequent passing make the situation all the more tragic. I can only hope his family and friends are bearing up in this terrible time- My thoughts are with them. RIP 'Billy'; you'll be missed.

Thanks Sally and Dave for keeping us all up to date with initial progress, and now this sad news. It's tragic news. I intend to visit Billy Twigger's cache zone one day so I can pay homage to him and find some caches in the areas where he placed them.

Very sad news regardless of how expected it might of been.

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet Ewan but am sure I would of enjoyed meeting him as I have been fortunate enough to find a few of his caches.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and thanks Sally for letting us know.

Such sad news.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I too never met Ewan but have followed news as it comes through. Although following recent reports this wasn't unexpected it doesn't make it any easier to hear. Its sad to hear that this came from playing a game we all love and enjoy.

My thoughts are with everyone that knew him.

We are extremely sorry to hear this tragic news. My thoughts and prayers are with Ewans family at this sad time and those cacher's who were fortunate to know him and have found caches that he hid so we can all enjoy this our hobby/obsession.

Rest in the arm's of heavenly angels.

Won't be able to make the funeral today, met Ewan once maybe twice, my best memory of him will be this log from Oh!Beehive (GCW39Y)

THIS IS A COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE PLACE TO PUT A CACHE There. I've said it!

I was stung twice as I replaced the box (well as I threw it back into the bush!) I had bees all over me and managed to pull one out from below my collar before it got its stinger into me too!! It was real agony for about an hour.

I've never been stung before. Not by a bee, nor a wasp or anything else because I've always done what my mother told me, and stayed away from hives. I ran all the way home and told my mum. She's going round to see your mum!

Had me rolling on the floor.

RIP Ewan

Terribly sad news, something I only read recently was likely to happen.

The username rang a bell with me. I travelled to the West Coast a couple of weeks ago and it turns out I downloaded a heap of his caches onto my GPS but didn't have time to do them all. Two I particularly want to return to do are Soldier's Road and The Haunted Lane, but perhaps most appropriately, one I did find was The Rest and Be Thankful. If anyone doesn't know this special part of Scotland, it's well worth a visit.

I looked a little further and saw that BT was due to have participated in a memorial cache event in September 2006 that he'd organised, but was unable to I think because of the fall. Those who attended have logged a moving account of their day on Schiehallion, the mountain which wrecked my knee nearly a decade ago. It is supposed to be the mountain of witches and obviously has its own magic ways. I hope BT is looking down over that and the rest of the country he obviously loved so much.

RIP.

:lol:

Thanks Sally and Dave for keeping us all up to date with initial progress, and now this sad news. It's tragic news. I intend to visit Billy Twigger's cache zone one day so I can pay homage to him and find some caches in the areas where he placed them.

RIP Billy, never met you, but it will be a privilege to find and have a log on one of your caches. :D

My best wishes to your family at this terrible time. :laughing: