Most engineered cache

I couldn't get a look at that video - just a blank screen. I'm probably missing some plugin. (Perhaps that level of ineptitude disqualifies my opinion on this topic!)

I was pretty impressed with the work on this device. So much so that I set about making one myself. I provide photos of it as a work in progress here.

I hope this gives you an idea. I suppose your inspiration will depend on the kind of engineering skills you have.

I couldn't get a look at that video - just a blank screen. I'm probably missing some plugin. (Perhaps that level of ineptitude disqualifies my opinion on this topic!)

I was pretty impressed with the work on this device. So much so that I set about making one myself. I provide photos of it as a work in progress here.

I hope this gives you an idea. I suppose your inspiration will depend on the kind of engineering skills you have.

I have built one of those, but I made mine out of steel and aluminum. Yours looks a lot more complicated than how I did mine. This is what happens when Geocachers work at machine shops. :D

There are two incredibly awesome ones in my area.

The first Air of your Waysrequires you to follow the directions until you get the combo of the switches right to get the combo on the ammo can sitting 2 feet away from you. The switch pattern is the constellation of the name of the owner. And it punishes you for a wrong combo

The second Outlet Mall has about 30 outlets, and 8 plugs. Just like the cache page says you have to put the plugs in the outlets to get the combo of the ammo can sitting 1 foot away from you. It uses solar power to charge the battery to make the cache work. Its very very cool and well thought out!

Edited by Harriet the Spy

I think it's very admirable for anyone to think about, let alone construct an elaborate cache. It's a testament to the diversity of this game. Considering how many films canisters, key keepers and bison tubes are used in geocaching, it is the rare individuals that go above and beyond that make a hide memorable either by location or container.

This being said, as someone who's always tried to make my hides unique and spends more then the average amount of time researching, developing and constructing mine, "things happen." :D

Between muggles, jealous and mean spirited cachers, please understand that there is always a risk involved in placing a hide. I myself, have had many hides come up "missing in action" under suspicious circumstances all because of a disagreement over an issue. :D

I've had to take things down a notch or two in order to replace these missing caches. But I'm back again planning hides of a better caliber again. I'm reading this forum for ideas. :)

The Captain Crunch cache is mine, it's been active for almost a year now. Go here to see the full site with lots of pics, the video and a construction guide, and here is the cache puzzle page.

One thing I'd like to say about this puzzle is the simplicity in returning the container to its original condition.

A lot of puzzles that involve complex moves in order to open also have complex moves to return it to a condition ready for the next person. IMHO, the better puzzles are hard to open, but trivial to close. I like the above puzzle concept because it's so easy to close. The only way to have made it better is a way to not have to return a key--simply close and you're done.

I hope I didn't sound belittling of the above puzzle cache before, but Athena's Curse, once you see many of its stages, you'll understand where I'm coming from.