Any pastor cachers out there

I am a Baptist pastor in North Central Texas, which means if you aren't in the metroplex you are in a small town that almost no-one has ever heard of. I know of another pastor in the area and a couple of deacons who cache. Other than that, these folks don't understand poking around cedar breaks and cemeteries looking for a film can.

I'm a Baptist pastor, and part of our family geocaching team.

Are there any other cachers who serve as ministers of religion (interpret however you like)?

Nope. But there is a very occasional caching one in my town. And one of his two long since archived hides was my first find.

Never met him, but there is a very active caching pastor with a couple thousand finds from London, Ontario. I don't think he hangs around the forums.

Mr Mousekakat is studying theology to become a priest in the Swedish Church, Evangelical Lutheran. He's about 1/3 to 1/2 through his studies, although working full time, so it's going at a CRAWL. Already holding sermons at our little village church since the priest out here is on sick leave. He can't perform the sacraments yet, but is already 'approved' to lead a service.

It might be fun to eventually cross reference this thread with the "how do you carry?" thread :D

Carrying a weapon for self protection and to protect others is not anathema to a Christian's ministry.

As a Disaster Relief Chaplain I am sometimes called to serve in some fairly dangerous places (42 days living in a tent after Katrina, no security, with thousands of dollars of unprotected radios and gear, in what the police called "The Red Zone", the high-crime community of East Point in Biloxi MS, for example) and carrying just makes sense.

I am also a Knight Templar, a body of men historically sworn to protect Christians and Christianity. Our role today is philanthropic and not military, so our sword is ceremonial, still, it reminds us that those who wish Christians harm are never far away.

Edit to add: Not to mention that throughout history most wars have been by, for and about religion! :D:P

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Or merge with this thread

[soapbox]

But seriously, what does this thread have to do with geocaching? IMO, this type of thread (there are also the "How did you serve", the "Nurses who geocache" and other similar threads) do not belong in the Geocaching Topics forum. Simply putting "geocaching" in the subject is a very tenuous link to actual geocaching.

[/soapbox]

[soapbox]

But seriously, what does this thread have to do with geocaching? IMO, this type of thread (there are also the "How did you serve", the "Nurses who geocache" and other similar threads) do not belong in the Geocaching Topics forum. Simply putting "geocaching" in the subject is a very tenuous link to actual geocaching.

[/soapbox]

I reckon it depends on your point of view...

Does geocaching exist without geocachers?

Do geocachers form communities, interact and communicate?

Can you have a community if you don't know who its members are or what they think and want?

Do you really want an impersonal technical discussion of geocaching absent any personality?

This and the threads like it are about geocachers discussing and informing our game and community.

The relevance of these topics to a geocaching forum is direct and indelible.

If we have to stick to strict interpretations I (or a Moderator) would have to remind you that your post is off-topic in this thread! :P

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]

I reckon it depends on your point of view...

Does geocaching exist without geocachers?

Do geocachers form communities, interact and communicate?

Can you have a community if you don't know who its members are or what they think and want?

Do you really want an impersonal technical discussion of geocaching absent any personality?

This and the threads like it are about geocachers discussing and informing our game and community.

The relevance of these topics to a geocaching forum is direct and indelible.

If we have to stick to strict interpretations I (or a Moderator) would have to remind you that your post is off-topic in this thread! :P

I agree with knowschad.

It's not a question of relevance, it's a question of topicality. Shall we have a "how many cross-stitchers out there?" followed by a "how many goat farmers out there" and then a "how many fundamental polygamous sect members out there?" thread in the Geocaching Topics forum?

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]

I remember a certain deaf geocacher that posted here often and was looking for other deaf geocachers. The topic was "Any pastor cachers out there"... That seems quite relevent to geocaching. I'm sure he was interested in having a discussion with like-minded individuals. Let me get on my soapbox too!

<soapbox>

But seriously, why does a completely innocent thread have to be hijacked? Does it really bother you that much that a pastor is curious if there are other pastor cachers out there? If not here, then where would this be relevent? If it doesn't bother you, then why even get on your soapbox and derail this guys thread? Hmmmmmmm... Sounds like "Instigating" to me.

</soapbox>

It's not a question of relevance, it's a question of topicality. Shall we have a "how many cross-stitchers out there?" followed by a "how many goat farmers out there" and then a "how many fundamental polygamous sect members out there?" thread in the Geocaching Topics forum?

Evidently! http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=223099

Back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Bubbacache is a youth pastor, as is JFine, and we have several more clergy in the AGA.

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]

At least you dropped the H out of IMHO...

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]

I like watching anti-religion bigots rant. So someone wants to know if others in his/her field also enjoy caching. Why do you troll their thread? Just trying to pick a fight?

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]

I like watching anti-religion bigots rant. So someone wants to know if others in his/her field also enjoy caching. Why do you troll their thread? Just trying to pick a fight?

First, there are forum guidelines against that sort of name calling. Please restrain from calling me a bigot.

Second, that was far from "ranting"

Lastly, I am not anti-religion. I'm anti-off topic. I have also "ranted" against the "Any nurse cachers out there" and other threads of that sort.

Are you just trying to pick a fight? 'Cause you sure sound like it.

I don't see anything wrong with the question asking if there are other Pastors into Geocaching, any more than someone asking if there are any Iowans, bricklayers, fishermen, geologists, etc. into the hobby. Some people are looking for potential friends with a common bond in addition to Geocaching. :mad:

Religion does seem to create a "hornet's nest", but it is part of life!

Dick

[soapbox]

[/soapbox]

I like watching trolls bring old topics back to life with nothing new to add to the discussion. this is the third one of yours today so far. bored today?

A well known Akron area cacher is a Baptist Minister. He even placed a LPC in the church parking lot and encourages cachers to stop and visit (either Sundsy mornings or when he is in the office).

Previously I was an Elder at my church.

-edit for clarity (i forgot a word)-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

I am a Youth Pastor in Philadelphia. We moved into the hood to reach out to urban teens and have been here for 15 years. Geocaching gets me out into the woods (Once I leave the city) and I love those two parts of life quite a bit... but I love the family I have the most...

Thanks for connecting all of us.. Nice.