Discusion on geocaching

Hi every body I am a volenteer at an orginization for people with mental ilness. One of are main goals is to get people out of the house and doing things that can keep them busy and meeting other people.

I've told the staff at the orginization all about geocaching and they think it would be good for some of are members. So I have voulentered to run a group dicussion on what geocaching is and how to get started. I am also planning to take some of the people who atend this discussion with me to find a few local caches.

I was wondering if anybody has some Ideas on certain topics of geocaching that I could add to my discussion any Ideas or coments would be well apreciated

jason, you'll need to be more specific about your needs.

i do have some ideas about geocaching and people with mental illness, but it's a very wide brush.

please feel free to contact me by email if you'd like to talk about it.

Sounds like a good idea! Anything that gets people out into the fresh air is a good thing. As for other topics about geocaching to add to the discussion, I can't really think of anything, maybe just that when you get to the coordinates, don't just assume that the cache is easy to find, but to take time and try to think about where it could be hidden based on size and description maybe. Otherwise, I haven't spent a lot of time with people with (serious) mental illnesses, so I'm not really sure which facets of geocaching would be good to accentuate for them, but I'm guessing that it would be like for anyone else, and different aspects for different people.

jason, you'll need to be more specific about your needs.

i do have some ideas about geocaching and people with mental illness, but it's a very wide brush.

please feel free to contact me by email if you'd like to talk about it.

Baiscly I guesse what I am trying to ask is what people think are key or interesting things to mention when explaing what geocaching is. Also one thing I am planning to talk about is geocoins and TB I'm am also gona bring a few of my coins to show them what they look like

I would definitely talk about some of the cool places one may visit while caching, and tell some anecdotes about your adventures.

You may also wish to cover how to deal with curious police/muggles/etc. as depending on what subset of "mental illness" you are addressing, these people may not have the social skills to field questions they aren't prepared for.

Baiscly I guesse what I am trying to ask is what people think are key or interesting things to mention when explaing what geocaching is. Also one thing I am planning to talk about is geocoins and TB I'm am also gona bring a few of my coins to show them what they look like

The key things to explain would be the basics.

Signing the log, if you take something - leave something & return the cache exactly where it was found.

And of course, the trackables as you mentioned... the proper etiquette.

Good luck! :D