which software for HP IPAQ

What software is best for an Ipaq for paperless caching?

I'm guessing you are using Memory Map and GSAK, a really useful macro is PUP Port which copies the caches you are interested in to MM on your Ipaq and makes them into links for HTML pages which it creates automatically.

Regards,

Brian

(part of The Jones)

I have memory map on my laptop so I downloaded the pocket map to my pda and then installed cachemate to view the cache page information and hints. I can download the pocket queries information now which is great.

I also have easygps on my laptop to help view pocket queries, log finds and view cache information while offline.

I have looked at GSAK but didn't really get into it, but it does seem very popular with other people so I would sugguest you look at all that is available and see what suits your needs.

Edited by Yorkie30

If you are using GSAK and Cachemate then you need Big Wolf's macro to create the Cachemate database. It is much faster than the one built into GSAK. I created a simple guide which explains how to use it. The guide in fact is the whole paperless deal with Memory Map, Cachemate and the PDA. Click here (pdf document, you'll need Adobe Acrobat reader to open it).

Chris (MrB)

Another vote for Memory Map, Cachemate and GSAK here.

I use an IPAQ5720 that comes with TomTom ready installed which is also very useful - but make sure you back everything up: :D:)sorry tale...

Mio P550 here, but all works in the same way... Another vote for GSAK on PC, and running cachemate, memory map and tom tom on the PDA. cachemate and memory map are fully integrated, and tom tom has individual cache icons for multi, mystery, trad etc (and also for micros...)

All works seamlessly!

Dave

Ok the latest news is I got the ipaq with cachemate on the unit, but despite numerous attempts I cant get the files to show in cachemate. I just dont know what i'm doing wrong.

Hi,

Without going into GSAK macros that can copy direct to the Cachemate database, you need to import the gpx file into Cachemate:

Copy the file onto the IPAQ - say My Documents; open Cachemate.

At the bottom of the screen you should see:

"List Options" then some icons - click on the one showing a red arrow pointing into a set of files (import).

Select how you want to merge into which database then click Start.

Now find the GPX file you just downloaded, click on it and it should load into the database.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Trevor

Ok the latest news is I got the ipaq with cachemate on the unit, but despite numerous attempts I cant get the files to show in cachemate. I just dont know what i'm doing wrong.

Dave, I use GPSonar usually but am also a registered user of Cachemate - so I've re-installed it on my Ipaq H6340 and it works perfectly.

I have GSAK save its GPX outputs directly to a folder created within the Ipaq sync set. The various filtered cache files I generate and save to this folder are immediately copied across to the Ipaq. I can then load them into GPSonar or import them into Cachemate (as describe above - I had to refer to that too)!

If you are still struggling, gimme a bell...

Bernie