Where do you get your containers?

I know someone in Buffalo, NY who sells them really cheap. I buy everything from him and he never seems to run out!

Seriously, if you're looking for ammo cans, your local military surplus store should have plenty or you could order from Amazon...the only problem is you get what you get, if the cans are dented or rusted, tough luck. At a surplus store, you can weed through and find the better cans.

Bruce

Just wondering where everyone buys their containers to hide their caches? What do you use the most?

You're asking us to tell you what to use and not telling us the size or anything else.

You should be telling us what kind/size of container you want and then asking where to find them.

Ammo cans you get one place, bison tubes another.

Just wondering where everyone buys their containers to hide their caches? What do you use the most?

You're asking us to tell you what to use and not telling us the size or anything else.

You should be telling us what kind/size of container you want and then asking where to find them.

Oh I didn't have any size in particular in mind, I'll mostly be using large/regular/small/micro sizes though.

Oh I didn't have any size in particular in mind, I'll mostly be using large/regular/small/micro sizes though.

Well, that narrows it down :D:D:)

I work in a hospital lab. Our urine test strips come in a black plastic container that is 1.75 inch X 5 inches. They are perfect for small caches. They should not have any biohazardous material on them, but of course I clean them real good with 10% bleach before putting them out. I usually have a large surplus of them, so I put a bunch of them in a 50 cal. ammo can and called the cache "Brazos Supply Depot."

Ask your hospital lab or Dr's. clinic to mark a lid with "Please save for..." and replace the new lid on an empty and save for you.

Four of my favorites: (1) empty Protein Shots containers (my wife is into them) with camo tape around them. They're tubes and approximately 1-1/2" around and 5" long. I classify them as a large micro container and they will hold small items. (2) inexpensive water bottles from the 99 cent stores. These are the types where the entire lid unscrews (no sippy hole on top) and they're pretty weather resilient. I remove the lid attachment and camo tape them. (3) empty medicine bottles of all types/sizes. They're practically water tight and can be used as micros to smalls. Again, I use camo tape to disguise the natural colors. (4) empty paintball tube containers. Can be found at Wallyworld for about $2. All of these containers can be converted to "hangers" with the addition of wire taped to the outside or they can stand alone depending on the hide.

I prefer camo or colored Duct tape for all my caches because it's easy to use, molds to the containers and doesn't chip away from the plastic surfaces of the containers like paint will. After a very short time the colors/camo fade a bit and they look real natural.

I've been getting Lock n Locks at Walmart, or at the local supermarket when they are on sale. They are inexpensive at Walmart but pretty pricey in the supermarket.

Unfortunately there were no Lock n Locks my last 3 trips to various area Walmarts, but on my last trip there was a locking container made by Rubbermaid. It doesn't look like it will work very well so I passed.

I used to get my ammo boxes online, but most sources for cheap ammo boxes have dried up. The local geocaching org had bought a pallet at auction and has been selling them for a couple bucks. THat's where I got my last batch.

I've been getting Lock n Locks at Walmart, or at the local supermarket when they are on sale. They are inexpensive at Walmart but pretty pricey in the supermarket.

Unfortunately there were no Lock n Locks my last 3 trips to various area Walmarts, but on my last trip there was a locking container made by Rubbermaid. It doesn't look like it will work very well so I passed.

I used to get my ammo boxes online, but most sources for cheap ammo boxes have dried up. The local geocaching org had bought a pallet at auction and has been selling them for a couple bucks. THat's where I got my last batch.

Seems like ammo cans are getting harder to get and costing more. Have we created tat much demand?

My first container is a Nalgene bottle, totally waterproof... which is good, since it's underwater! My second one, got the main part of the cache from ebay, but won't know exactly what I'll need for a container until it gets here. Might work as is, might need to add something, not really sure yet. The thing I bought wasn't sold as a cache, but I'm using it as one.

Huh, Locknlocks have also vanished from my local Wallyworld. Have not seen them on the shelves for a few months now. Luckily I had stocked up on them a while back when there was a sale, but it still seems odd that they don't have them anymore.

Huh, Locknlocks have also vanished from my local Wallyworld. Have not seen them on the shelves for a few months now. Luckily I had stocked up on them a while back when there was a sale, but it still seems odd that they don't have them anymore.

They don't have any at either of my two local wallys either.

Unfortunately there were no Lock n Locks my last 3 trips to various area Walmarts,

They don't have any at either of my two local wallys either.

Walmart appears have phased Lock & Locks out. I have seen the rubbermaid locking containers and the sterilite locking containers.

I am currently using a sterilite locking container for my cache. Made in the USA for what it's worth.

:D

There's a local geostore that sells all manner of geostuff, with a pretty good price on hand picked ammo cans. When I'm there drooling over their wall of coins, I generally buy 10 of them. I also like browsing Army-Navy stores, and I've been known to haul off bunches from those, if the price is right. I get my Lock & Locks from Wally World or K-Mart, and my soda bottle preforms from Education Innovators. As of now, these are about all I hide.

I use waterproof match "boxes" for large micros and magnetic key holders. The match things are tubes that are watertight to carry camping to keep matches dry (obviously). They are $1 at wal-mart. The only drawback is that they are orange so I have to camp them. I have seen them in green though. I like the key holders because I can stick them in different places. I have bought some sterilite containers from wal-mart that have locks that come up on each side but I'm not sure how they will work....I'll let ya know after I get them out and it rains one good time.

I just follow the little arrow. It is amazing how many really good containers you can find just laying around the woods.

I LOL'd at this one and at the following post :P Clever! Thanks for the good chuckle.

I get mine at a fabulous place here in Los Alamos NM that buys all sorts of random stuff from the national lab here and resells it. I've never been in a store that has a higher percentage of things that I don't even have the beginnings of an idea of what it is used for :D

It's well worth a visit if anyone ever is in the area -- there was even a cache placed in the junk outside for a while but was archived when the CO died and the replacement has met with consternation because it was on business grounds and had the name of the business "The Black Hole" as the title (link to the website for historical, not commercial purposes; I don't think they ship but the site can maybe give a hint of the unique quality of the place). Sorry to go on and on but it's such an odd place that I thought someone might be interested :D

For those that don't have access there (and the prices on ammo cans aren't great at $10) I think good bets are (like others mentioned) online, army surplus stores and wal-mart type big box stores for lock 'n lock.

I can still get 30 cal ammo cans for $6.95 here in Fort Worth and Decon Kit containers for $3.95. I REALLY like the decon containers because out of the four that I've found so far, I stared right at them or walked right passed them without even a notice. They blend in real well with our foliage down here anyway.

Big, plastic coffee cans work well here in our climate as do the empty med bottles.

I can still get 30 cal ammo cans for $6.95 here in Fort Worth and Decon Kit containers for $3.95. I REALLY like the decon containers because out of the four that I've found so far, I stared right at them or walked right passed them without even a notice. They blend in real well with our foliage down here anyway.

Big, plastic coffee cans work well here in our climate as do the empty med bottles.

Decons are a problem in an area where that can get wet. They need to be properly closed and people seem to have trouble with that. If all four corners aren't closed tight they wil leak. Problem is that people hear the first snap and think it's tight.

I used to find Lock-n-Locks at all 3 big local stores (K-mart, Target, Wal-Mart) - they suddenly are not available at any of the 3 anymore. I bought my last bunch online from Amazon - box of 10 assorted sizes for $29.

I get ammo boxes online. Am trying out some of the new rubbermaid sealed containers - we will see.