Man Vs. Cache Firestriker Geocoin

ZSandmann

These coins are looking super sweet, I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I enjoyed dreaming them up!

Hey ZSandmann I just wanted to say I've got 5 preordered and the more I think about it the more I think I may have to add a couple more. I've got a couple outdoorsmen that these would make perfect Christmas gifts for. They're small and could easily be drilled so they could go on a keychain so they could be very practical gifts and if they were to ever spend an unplanned night out in the woods it could be a real life saver. Thanks for designing this great geocoin!!!! :P

Edit to add a P.S. I just noticed these coins already have a nice hole manufactured right into them so there would not be any drilling required to turn them into a keychain accessory. Looks like you thought of everything. Again, good job on a very unique and useful geocoin!!!! :P

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

These coins are looking super sweet, I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I enjoyed dreaming them up!

Hey ZSandmann I just wanted to say I've got 5 preordered and the more I think about it the more I think I may have to add a couple more. I've got a couple outdoorsmen that these would make perfect Christmas gifts for. They're small and could easily be drilled so they could go on a keychain so they could be very practical gifts and if they were to ever spend an unplanned night out in the woods it could be a real life saver. Thanks for designing this great geocoin!!!! :)

Edit to add a P.S. I just noticed these coins already have a nice hole manufactured right into them so there would not be any drilling required to turn them into a keychain accessory. Looks like you thought of everything. Again, good job on a very unique and useful geocoin!!!! <_<

Glad you noticed! Yes the hole will be great for tethering it to a cache bag or even a zipper pull on a hiking fleece or vest. I plan on using some high strength para-cord on mine.

Any word on this incredible coin?

Reserve your HERE!

i get an error 404 did i miss them while on vacation??

Hey DJ.J.ROCK! If it turns out you missed out on these send me an E-Mail since I've got an extra I can spare when I get them. I'm not for sure, but I'm kind of thinking today may have been the cutoff date for presales. Holler if you need one (I can get you one of any of the metals, don't know if I can do one of each but I know I can do one of any of the metals). :blink:

P.S. I'm new to the geocoin collecting, but when I go to the vendors website and click on the coins name there in the pre-sale area it gives a description, says it's out of stock and the date they expect to have them in stock. I'm new to all this, but I'm thinking that probably means the pre-sale has ended.

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

It appears these are all sold out? It that correct? Away at the wrong time............urgh!

I'm a very new collector so don't bet the farm on what I say, but I think it's just the presale has ended for those that wanted to guarantee they got some. I may be wrong, but I think I read that usually a vendor will have some extras made up for general sales after they've shipped the pre-sale orders. So unless I'm wrong I don't think you're out of luck yet. Of course if they are very popular the ones for general sale may sell out quickly so you may want to keep a close eye on this thread. Good luck! :blink:

Hi everyone, thanks for being patient.

Here's the latest news: Coins shipped to flint factory and should ship Sept 1 from there.

Sorry for a bit of delay, we just want to be sure the flint are attached properly and that these are the best they can be. When they arrive to Mike at CacheAddict there should be some extras so please make sure you are subscribed to his mailing list and I will try to post here as well to let you all know they are there.

The Icon Design Cointest has closed, and I will be choosing the winner today so stay tuned for that.

Z

I just came across this thread. I tried to use that website to order a few of these coins but one can no longer place pre-orders. It says the coin will be on sale on August 31. Is this like some of the other coin sites where only a few additional coins are produced and buyers don't have much of a chance to order one when they do go on sale? Or should I expect that it will be possible to order some come August 31?

Thanks.

edit to add: Just read through the rest of this thread and saw that "some extras" will be available for sale. Maybe I just don't know much about coin vendor's process in general, but why to vendors seem to only make so few additional coins following the pre-order process? I've seen this on other coin sites where if you didn't get in on the pre-order you were essentially out of luck because so few additional coins were made. I'm not trying to sound sour grapes, it just seems that a company should make more product.

Edited by steve p

I just came across this thread. I tried to use that website to order a few of these coins but one can no longer place pre-orders. It says the coin will be on sale on August 31. Is this like some of the other coin sites where only a few additional coins are produced and buyers don't have much of a chance to order one when they do go on sale? Or should I expect that it will be possible to order some come August 31?

Thanks.

edit to add: Just read through the rest of this thread and saw that "some extras" will be available for sale. Maybe I just don't know much about coin vendor's process in general, but why to vendors seem to only make so few additional coins following the pre-order process? I've seen this on other coin sites where if you didn't get in on the pre-order you were essentially out of luck because so few additional coins were made. I'm not trying to sound sour grapes, it just seems that a company should make more product.

I order around 20 extra coins for each design and have done that on this design.

To answer your other question about ordering more to carry inventory. I am a distribution guy by trade and for me I try to order enought to satisfy the customer and not get stuck with any inventoery that I have to sell at a discount.

I am one of a few if any of the vendors that still does reservations (no money up front). In doing so I have about 5% of the coins that people reserved not get paid for also. Which frees up additional stock to sell. I try and keep reservations open for 2 weeks so people have time to decide and see the listing. I also have a newsletter I send out when I post new coins.

Bottom line, I try to produce enough to satisfy the customer while at the same time not getting stuck with extras. Fine line especially in this market.

Mike

Got mine today. As with many geocoins, these are even nicer in the hand than in the pictures.

Now I gotta figure out how to make them work....

Hey mousie be careful!! I used the back of my knife blade as instructed -nuthin!! Got annoyed and turned it over and used the sharp edge of the blade and Sparks Everywhere!!- startled the carp outta me!!

man what a very nice coin just got mine today . I only have a couple of coin but I only try to get ones that are like something I like to do.. my other coin is cache of the day. trout cause I like to flyfish. let me your thoughts on this new coin. :D

Howdy! Please note that the mods will probably be along shortly to merge your message into the Man vs. Cache Geocoin thread, but that's normal practice (one coin = one thread).

That having been said, I'm eagerly awaiting my own copies with bated breath. Each trip to the post office is full of suspense. Of course, it takes about a week longer for me to get them than everyone else, as I am in Japan. But we are camping out next week for our 09-09-09 event, and I hope the coin comes in time so that I can try it out (and wow the other cachers, of course). Whee! : )

I just received my Man vs Cache Firestarter geocoins today. I bought all of the varieties and surprisingly the one I thought I'd like the least is my hands down favorite (the two tone LE, well I think it was an LE or some sort of terminology). Basically I just wanted to thank you for putting out an awesome geocoin. The two tone one is definitely going to be one of the rare keep at all costs coins for me. Don't worry if you read this Jay, I've got an extra one for our trade. It really is an awesome coin and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I'll be watching for future creations from you. Keep up the good work!!!! :D

Got ours in today ..they are fantastic! The 2T is stunning. Naturally had to try it ;) . It works both ways, on the back of the blade or front (which will dull your blade of course). It seems to work best with a sharp stroke holding the blade at a low angle , about 20 degrees to the flint. You get just as good a spark as with those survival fire-starter kits. Awesome idea and coin. Well done. See you at GCF!