Man Vs. Cache Firestriker Geocoin

ZSandmann

I was inspired to have these coins made by my love of survival television shows such as Man Vs. Wild and Survivorman. I've also read many survival guides and love to backcountry hike and camp. One rule to always follow is to carry two forms of firemaking kit with you. Matches are great but even the best waterproof ones will let you down in damp conditions. You may be familiar with firestrikers like this:

striker%20fire%20flint.jpg

This coin is made to be attached to your cachebag for those times when you need to start a fire under any conditions. Some of you got a sneak peak of these coins at GeoWoodstock. The proofs are in and they will be for sale at CacheAddict.com in about a month we hope. Trackable at geocaching.com of course.

2atf00170a011.jpg

As you can see along the base is a groove which will hold a flint stick. Simply run the back of a knife blade along this strip while aiming at your kindling. When you get a good ember, cradle it and blow lightly till you see a flame. Then build your fire with larger and larger sticks to the size desired. Now on to the money shots.

dscn0461b.jpg

dscn0464q.jpg

dscn0463h.jpg

Clever idea.

I assume the flint rod comes attached to the coin??

Yes the flint will be set in the groove. The mint just didn't have them in time to place them on the proofs.

Very cool...so when does the "woman vs. cache" version come out?

Hehe, I assure you it is man in the mankind way. :blink: Also, a play on Man Vs. Wild

Edited by ZSandmann

Very cool! If Tom Hanks would have been a "cacher/coiner" in the movie Castaway, he could have started his fire so much easier with his geocoin :D

You should have some sort of a contest with people putting this coin to use. Pictures would be great but videos would be even cooler.

Nice job.

Very cool! If Tom Hanks would have been a "cacher/coiner" in the movie Castaway, he could have started his fire so much easier with his geocoin :D

You should have some sort of a contest with people putting this coin to use. Pictures would be great but videos would be even cooler.

Nice job.

Nice job.

That's a great idea! I will have to come up with something along those lines.