Stealth in muggle-full places

Recently I had to abandon some searches b/c the caches were in high-muggle areas. One in the corner of a parking lot. People stood outside the restraunt and stared at me as I poked in the bushes.

Another was on a wooden fence near the loading dock of a retail store. Muggles everywhere. Just approaching the fence earned me suspicious glances.

Then there's the ones in parking lots under those light pole skirts. I fear someone will call the police!

How do you pull of caching w/o landing in the slammer? Especially when a cache is a challenging one requiring a LOT of poking and examination of an area?

Personally I don't worry about it, I love urban caching. I do one of two things...

1. Ignore the people staring at me and look for the cache, I don't really care what they think of me while I poke around... If they want to come ask what I'm doing I'll either explain it, or sarcastically lie, depending on if they were nice or mean when they asked.

2. Or I stand there and stare at them, trying to make them feel awkward and just keep doing it until they get tired of me and then I can go on with the search.

do you find it interesting that people who have been caching a year or less largely advocate trying to be stealthy, but people who've been at it five or more years almost universally caution against stealth tricks?

hmmm?

i do.

Here's another thought to ponder: Why are you so rude?

Regardless, I advocate using reasonable stealth because to boldly make the find regardless of who sees you puts the game piece in unnecessary risk. I further reject your notion that any attempt at stealth will be a red flag for all local muggles.

Quite an interesting topic. From reading them all, I'm forming a conclusion that each cache site is unique. Some do need some stealth planning in an obvious way (going at night or wearing bright orange construction gear), others are best approached boldly with confidence. Some cachers need to abandon the hunt if they feel uncomfortable.

Many of you make a good point: muggles will notice suspicious, sneaky behavior more than an "I know what I'm doing."

However, I'm loving the creativity here. Anyone ever do a skirt lifter in a gorilla suit? Just curious. :rolleyes:

well, if that isn't the bra calling the panties pink!
Thank you for highlighting my point so colorfully.

thought to ponder: why are YOU so rude?

not to mention, pompous and bombastic...

usually when i hate a poster as much as i hate you, i don't bother to respond to them. if you were clever (and it's a big "if"), you might follow suit, since the feeling is so obviously mutual.

Recently I had to abandon some searches b/c the caches were in high-muggle areas. One in the corner of a parking lot. People stood outside the restraunt and stared at me as I poked in the bushes.

Another was on a wooden fence near the loading dock of a retail store. Muggles everywhere. Just approaching the fence earned me suspicious glances.

Then there's the ones in parking lots under those light pole skirts. I fear someone will call the police!

How do you pull of caching w/o landing in the slammer? Especially when a cache is a challenging one requiring a LOT of poking and examination of an area?

Urban caches can be done right. Or they can be done very, very wrong. If you just toss some random container under a light skirt or in the bushes, but then rate the cache on the difficulty of actually being able to hunt for it without looking like you're praying on someone, those suck.

I am very careful to replace caches where I found them, assuming they look like they should be there. If one is VERY much obviously out of place (on the ground, in plain sight, etc) I'll usually hide it better IF something is obvious and within a few feet and I'll always email the owner. And on top of that, I always make sure nobody sees me take or replace the cache.

A really bad urban cache? I just go for it. Someone sees me, who cares. They come over and find the cache and throw it away? I'm sure the owner has another film can to throw in the bushes or under a pole skirt.

usually when i hate a poster as much as i hate you, i don't bother to respond to them. if you were clever (and it's a big "if"), you might follow suit, since the feeling is so obviously mutual.

Well this is the first time I have seen "HATE" in a Forum post.

Edited by BrrrMo

Well this is the first time I have seen "HATE" in a Forum post.
Me, too. I'm thinking that if someone actually hates another person that they only know through an internet forum, it's time for a little self reflection.

Personally, I don't hate anyone in these forums. Come to think of it, I don't actually 'hate' anyone. Hate is a place that I don't wish for my heart to ever go.

I certainly don't hate Flask. My feelings for him/her barely register to name recognition. They don't remotely approach 'hate' or even dislike. That being said, I feel that when one of us has been as consistently rude as Flask has been, it does the entire community a disservice if it is not addressed. To be clear, I am not referring solely about reporting posts that violate the forum guidelines. I am also addressing the general rudeness that was seen in this thread and others.