Launching Travel, Bugs, Coins, Patches, etc..etc...

solo63137

When launching you own Travel Bugs, Geo-Coins, Geo-Patches, etc..etc, do you drop them off at a random cache, another cache known to have bugs, a special cache, start your own or what???

I'm consering picking up a few of my own to send on their merry way and was just wandering what everyone else does...

What ever you want!

Some cachers start them from one of their own caches, or a cache close to home.

Some travellers are started as far away from home as you can get, with the mission to return home.

Yep.

You can pretty much start your bug from anywhere. There's no start location requirement like having to place it in a new cache. Take it caching and Dip it in a local cache so the mileage starts closer to your home location.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Oow, I like the "dip it in a local cache" idea. Thanks!

We just start them wherever we find a good cache to start them in. There are so many micros these days, and you can't start anything in a micro, so finding a good cache for a travel bug or geocoin isn't always easy. We've started a bunch near home, and others as we travel.

We also pick up others as we drop off our own. We figure if a cache was good enough and safe enough for someone else to leave their coin, then I'll move their coin along on it's journey, and I'll leave one of ours to start it's travels.

But we'll definitely "dip" our geocoins near home from now own - that's a great idea.

Thanks for sharing!

The Hoagies

When launching you own Travel Bugs, Geo-Coins, Geo-Patches, etc..etc, do you drop them off at a random cache, another cache known to have bugs, a special cache, start your own or what???

I'm consering picking up a few of my own to send on their merry way and was just wandering what everyone else does...

All of the above.

So, I am brand new, just found my first cache this morning. What is a traveler or geocoin? Is that what the poker chip with an email address was? And the point is to move them to new caches, right? Thanks!

Welcome. I've been caching for a couple months, so by no means an expert, but...

A poker chip with an e-mail is just "swag" - stuff you can collect. Just like all those McHappy meal toys, etc. The kids love to take some of this from a cache.

A geocoin or travel bug is a uniquely identified item, usually a coin or dogtag shape, or a coin or tag attached to something else. It's got a unique number that you can register with geocaching.com to identify that you saw it, retrieved it, or placed it. You should move geocoins and bugs from one cache to another, quickly if possible, and in pursuit of their stated goal. Some coins have the goal right in with the coin; others have the goal on the geocaching site, and still others have no goal except to wander around from cache to cache.

To find new caches, use the "hide and seek a cache" button on the geocaching.com site.

The only time a poker chip or other item might point to another cache is in the case of a multi-cache, where the first location leads to a second, and perhaps a third or more caches. In this case, the poker chip or other item would have information that, used in conjunction with the clues in the cache description, will lead to the next stage of the multi-stage cache.

I hope this helps, and I hope I've got it figured out correctly.

the hoagies

Celairiel,

The poker chip you found was probably a signature item. a bit of SWAG that was left as a "I was here" item. Some people collect them other just use them as SWAG and eventually place in another cache. I've collect about 10 and leave my own in any cache big enough.