Help... New colorado300 just out of the box.

Renaissanceman1

Help... New Colorado 300 as a gift what else do I need to get started? I think i need Topo maps of Florida and then what?

Hello and welcome to the fun!

Congrats on getting your Colorado - it's a good bit of kit!

To get started first have a good shufty through geocaching.com to find your nearest caches and how to find them. There's loads of good advice in there and it's easy to understand. After you get the idea of geocaching then read the instructions for the GPSr and see how the unit helps with what you've read about caching. When I found my first cache, I didn't even know how to put co-ords into my GPsr, let alone use it to find anything! D'oh! It seems a bit daunting at first but it will soon seem very natural.

Then go caching! Have fun!

Help... New Colorado 300 as a gift what else do I need to get started? I think i need Topo maps of Florida and then what?

I adore my Colorado 400t (the same as your unit, but with some topo maps preloaded). Here are some notes off the top of my head:

Back up your Colorado - The unit ships without any restore media, and I've heard sad stories about people accidentally deleting the files that make the Colorado work. The first thing I did was copy everything off of my Colorado and burn it to a DVD so I will always be able to restore it if there is an accident.

You don't need topo maps to geocache, but I really like having them. They are useful for things like figuring out when you can beeline to a cache, and when you're better off starting from the other side of the lake. :D You can buy maps from Garmin, or see if a free site such as GPSFileDepot has some you like.

Your Colorado comes with a free 30-day premium geocaching.com subscription -- use it. Continuing the subscription is pretty inexpensive, and once you use pocket queries, you'll not want to do without them.You can set a PQ to find all the caches near your (or any) location with the traits you want (size, difficulty, terrain, type, etc), then it will email you a .zip file with two files inside it -- one holds cache data (traits, locations, descriptions, hints, recent logs, etc) for all the caches your search turned up, and the other holds useful extra waypoints (parking for a particular cache, things like that). You just copy these to your Colorado and go -- all the info for the caches is in there for you to use.

You can even make a PQ to search for caches near a route, because there's no reason not to stop for a few caches on the way to Aunt Ida's house. :D

There is a an unofficial Colorado Wiki that I found extremely useful when getting started.

Last, but certainly not least, read and post to the forums. We love newbies (I'm still one myself by most measures), and are happy to help. I learned a lot here.

--Susan

P.S. -- I haven't had much time to read the forums lately, but if you message me through the profile page, I'll be sure to answer your email.