2009 GONIL "Sweet Home Chicago" Geocoin Presale

dmnelson23

The Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL) are excited to announce the commencement of the presale of our 2009 "Sweet Home Chicago" Illinois Geocoin. Each HUGE 1.75" coin has been professionally minted by Oak Coins with an epoxy coating in your choice of two finishes (either Nickel or Black Nickel). In addition, every coin will bear an individual tracking number which can be tracked at www.geocaching.com, not to mention a custom GC icon! (Limit of 10 coins per customer, please)

To order your coins now, please click HERE. You will be taken to PayPal where you can select how many coins you would like to order. Please note in the "Additional Comments to Seller" field how many coins of each finish you would like. Orders left blank will be assumed to be the Nickel finish and will be filled accordingly.

Tidbits about the design of the coin:

1. The coin was designed by a GONIL member and was selected as the winner of the GONIL coin design contest in 2008.

2. The front of the coin represents the Chicago skyline, with the primary recognizable feature of the Sears Tower in addition to the phrase, "Sweet Home Chicago".

3. The back of the coin features the GONIL logo and is surrounded by the names of the 12 Illinois counties represented by GONIL.

4. The backs of both coins are actually much lighter in color than the scans shown here.

2009 GONIL Coin in Nickel

NickelFront.gif

NickelBack.gif

2009 GONIL Coin in Black Nickel

BNFront.gif

BNBack.gif

Pre-order sales will be accepted until 11:59:59 pm CDT on Tuesday, June 30, 2009, at which point no further orders will be accepted. The official order will be placed with the vendor on or about July 1, 2009. Manufacture, production, and delivery to GONIL will take approximately 3-4 weeks from the date that they are ordered. Shipment to you (the customer) will take place within 2 business days after the receipt of the order from the manufacturer.

Prices, Shipping, Etc...:

1. Coins in either finish are reasonably priced at $11.00 each for the 1.75" coin. (Limit 10 coins per customer, please).

2. Domestic Shipping will be a flat $7.00 regardless of order size, which includes USPS Shipping, USPS Insurance, Packaging Materials (bubble envelopes), and handling charges. The shipping method will be determined by GONIL and will be First Class Mail OR Priority Mail depending on the size of the order and the corresponding shipping costs.

3. International orders will be considered on an individual basis and will be charged a $10.00 Special Handling fee in addition to the actual cost of shipping the coin(s). Any customs fees, charges, or tariffs in the receiving country will be the responsibility of the receiving party. Please send an email to the address listed at the bottom of this page for a custom shipping quote based on your needs and location.

More tidbits for collectors, etc...:

1. All coins ordered are brand new and unactivated in plastic sleeves.

2. This coin has not been offered for sale anywhere else, outside of GONIL. To date, 250 coins have been sold to GONIL Members.

3. There is no preset limit to the number of coins that will be ordered in this presale session. We will order the quantity of coins purchased in addition to an unspecified number of additional coins for future sale.

4. There may or may not be another presale opportunity for these coins, and that decision will be based on demand from this order.

To order your coins now, please click HERE. You will be taken to PayPal where you can select how many coins you would like to order. Please note in the "Additional Comments to Seller" field how many coins of each finish you would like. Orders left blank will be assumed to be the Nickel finish and will be filled accordingly.

For International Orders, or for any questions or concerns please contact me directly:

Treasurer@gonil.org

Reading about the shipping charges and with me being in Canada has totally convinced me not to even think about getting this coin.... I'm sorry, but this borders on a scam... $18+ in order for me to receive and $11 coin?!?!?!? You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!!

I'm not much of a collector or buyer of coins but am a member of the organization trying to sell these and I have a few questions: What would be considered a good price for these? What shipping charges would be fair? Is insurance normally included?

Coins of this size would range in cost from $7-9, depending on intricate design, enameling, etc. If I was honestly pricing your coin for you, I would say $7 since it's super basic. You're trying to make money for GONIL, so maybe a dollar or two more would be ok?

As for shipping, First Class US packages start at less than $2, so $7 is really outrageous. Insurance is never included, always optional. Insurance is useless, since unless you can prove delivery at their residence, you have to refund their money through paypal anyway if they file a claim :D Canadian packages are cheaper than US domestic with delivery confirmation, so that should be the the same. International packages are typically double a US package, so starting at around $3-4 is normal. Figure your packaging costs at $.10 per mailer since you can buy a case of 100-500 at that cost. Drop you "handling costs" nonsense since this is a fundraiser, and that "handling" is volunteer work :P Additional coins could be tacked on each order at $.50-$1 each, until you reach Priority flat rate in the US.

I ship hundreds of coins a month, both domestic and international. Those are my experiences, but your mileage may vary. Hopefully you see my post as a constructive response to your query, since that is how it was intended :D

TMA

I'm not much of a collector or buyer of coins but am a member of the organization trying to sell these and I have a few questions: What would be considered a good price for these? What shipping charges would be fair? Is insurance normally included?

Ok . . . I have some experience in this . . . .

- First you have to ask yourself why would someone buy this coin? - They are a member of the organization; they have cached in the area; it is a very unique design would be usual reasons.

At this point in the geocaching world This will not be a "have to have" coin for most people. If people are not from the area or associated with the organization it will not for most, even be a "want to have coin".

- Second what are similar coins selling for? Without seeing the coin I would price it probably at $8.50 - $9.50. Almost no one does insurance for a coin or two. Shipping should be in the ball park $2.00 for the first coin and $.50 per coin after the first one to North America.

I guess I am a bit confused why you would not do some research about this before putting it in the forums. Honestly this will make it harder to sell them even at a more reasonable price.

I wish you luck. You can e-mail me if you have more specific questions. (or post here)

I would buy it for between $8 to $9. Shipping is generally about $2.50 to $3.00 for one coin, then add about $.50 per additional coins.

When I ship coins, I generally do not provide insurance. Insurance claims are a pain to file, and you will lose very few coins in shipping. I lost 4 coins on my last coin, which was the most I'd ever lost. 2 came back 6 weeks after I replaced the missing ones. So, out of a shipment of 300 coins, I had to replace 2. So, that cost me about $9 (my cost). Compare that to what is paid for insurance.....that is a lot of money wasted.

And I will definitely buy it if you lower the price. I like to try to support geocaching groups when I can!

Edited by MustangJoni

Hmmm...so for one of these coins I'll be charged 21 dollars even before postage is added....

As stated in the first post, yes. But this brings up a question I didn't ask before:

How is international and/or overseas shipping generally handled?

Thanks for all the input/insight provided so far- it is much appreciated. :D