Coin Design Imitation

Tennessee Jed

The first coin that came to mind is that there are two different icache coins put out by two different companies--one was SoCalGeocoins and the other I don't remember. Both extremely similar. (I'm not referring to the later v2 coin that looks like the iphone) There was a bit of a hubbub when one came out as they knew about the other design and said they were backing off but didn't.

The first coin that came to mind is that there are two different icache coins put out by two different companies--one was SoCalGeocoins and the other I don't remember. Both extremely similar. (I'm not referring to the later v2 coin that looks like the iphone) There was a bit of a hubbub when one came out as they knew about the other design and said they were backing off but didn't.

This coin was done by the same company mentioned above. :ph34r::o:)

I hope they don't decide to use other peoples designs cause they like them.

Hmm . . . this can be kinda of a tough question . . .

A couple of years ago we did a CHP coin and someone else did a nearly identical designed coin but with slightly different language. I think it was just coincidence.

More recently Hogwild Stuff and Coins & Pins have done benchmark coins based on the same benchmark, though the coins themselves were very different in design.

More recently there was quite a bit of controversy about two Boy Scout coins that were very similar.

These are always tough situations and there is probably not much that can be done except maybe not buying the coin.

Hmm . . . this can be kinda of a tough question . . .

A couple of years ago we did a CHP coin and someone else did a nearly identical designed coin but with slightly different language. I think it was just coincidence.

More recently Hogwild Stuff and Coins & Pins have done benchmark coins based on the same benchmark, though the coins themselves were very different in design.

More recently there was quite a bit of controversy about two Boy Scout coins that were very similar.

These are always tough situations and there is probably not much that can be done except maybe not buying the coin.

This is no coincidence since the owner of SoCalGeocoins wanted to trade for my coin last year. I have been told they copy or improvise on many different coins so they can make a profit off of someone elses cost. Now someone will make a profit off of their costs.

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Reciently a person designed a coin that was a spin off of a persons sig item,, i thought : how crummy of them to do that!! they did good on the sales too , now that persons sig item has no unique ness to it becide their name on the darn thing, i wont and will not have that coin in my collection nor will i ever buy it, and if i ever get one im gonna put it on e-bay as my first ebayed coin!!! lol :ph34r:

did you confront them??

i would start there, and see how they feel, or thought of the design,,,, then if they agree that they used your design, have them pay you for it or get you some coins. thats a tuff question tho .

:o

It is a shame to see people copying coin designs, however not all instances are copies, I have seen at least three coins produced that I was thinking of doing myself, nobody saw my drawings - but the resulting coins look uncannily like the ones I had envisaged. I did design the Three Wise Monkeys coin, and now someone has produced a three coin set in the Funny Animal Series (?). Not a copy, just another design on a similar theme and there are going to be people who would rather buy the three coin set of what looks to me to be a rather simple cartoon characterisation of Three Wise Monkeys, does not appeal to me but then my coin isn't going to appeal to everyone either.

I think it is quite understandable in this case to get a little hot under the collar, in my opinion it is a very poor imitation of what originally was a super coin. Since they are clearly producing this 'for profit' I think they should be a little concerned about copyright.

I remember the debacle over the Scouts coin, well it could have been deliberate or it could have been coincidental, either way at the end of the day there is only one Scout Motto and it is usually presented in a similar form wherever it is produced, badges, stamps, posters whatever - the Grateful Dead image is also widely used, mostly by the Grateful Dead I would imagine. As Landsharkz say - imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I guess the only complaint then that can be made is that it is a very poor attempt at imitation !

The use of a copyrighted image for commercial use is punishable by law unless permission is granted. I don't think permission was granted in this instance. I will leave it at that. :ph34r:

Surely the simple concept of a bear holding a GPS was almost guaranteed to be a common design for Geocoins? I doubt you can copyright such a concept!

Not to play devils advocate, buit I will. There are several poses of the Dancing Bear. See image below.

d_3706.jpg

Yours is the first or second one and theirs is the last one.

Not excusing them, but just pointing this out.

Also, my SYF coin design was stolen for a Pathtag design. I say c'est la vie.

Edited by AtlantaGal

And you took your idea from where? I don't see how this can upset you, as it wasn't an original design to begin with. Had this been your own personal artwork, I could see the problem. The problem I see here is did anyone ask the Grateful Dead for permission to use the image?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but can also lead to lawsuits if not done properly.

And you took your idea from where? I don't see how this can upset you, as it wasn't an original design to begin with. Had this been your own personal artwork, I could see the problem. The problem I see here is did anyone ask the Grateful Dead for permission to use the image?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but can also lead to lawsuits if not done properly.

The Dead were pretty lienient with their stuff as long as no commercial gain was involved. I think SoCal would be hearing from lawyers with a cease and disist order before Tenn Jed would.

Just my $.02.

Wow,

That's a tough one. Personally,

I think it is a morals issue. Shame on a company for using a person or there personal things to make a buck. It is also a kick in the butt to ask artists to use someone elses work to come up with a very close design.

Flattery only works at dinner party's. I wouldn't be flattered if someone took my original design and used it to make money for them.

But as was said, Is this your image to begin with. if not, then there is nothing to be done by you, if it IS your design ............

SUE EM'

JMHO

Opalsns

Wow,

That's a tough one. Personally,

I think it is a morals issue. Shame on a company for using a person or there personal things to make a buck. It is also a kick in the butt to ask artists to use someone elses work to come up with a very close design.

Flattery only works at dinner party's. I wouldn't be flattered if someone took my original design and used it to make money for them.

But as was said, Is this your image to begin with. if not, then there is nothing to be done by you, if it IS your design ............

SUE EM'

JMHO

Opalsns

Although people may think I chose the image for my coin on a whim, I did days and days of research on the image and had come to know the artist. Did they do that? I know they did not. The artist knows they stole the design and that they stole the designs for many of their coins. Using the artwork of someone else for profit can get people in trouble....I do hope that SoCalGeocoins did not submit a similar image for their icon.

Edited by Tennessee Jed
The artist knows they stole the design...

So is the artist going to do anything about it? It seems as though this is the person who needs to be taking charge of the situation directly.

I believe they are. And if anyone is interested, the image was not originally used by the Grateful Dead. They had to get permission several years after the original artwork.

That is all I will say in the forums.

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Not to play devils advocate, buit I will. There are several poses of the Dancing Bear. See image below.

d_3706.jpg

Yours is the first or second one and theirs is the last one.

Not excusing them, but just pointing this out.

Also, my SYF coin design was stolen for a Pathtag design. I say c'est la vie.

And I thought that was Your pathtag.. I guess not