Night Caches

I had an idea for a new type of cache. Let's make a night caching type. Geocaching at night with easy to go tto places either in town, or in a wide are with few trees. Parks with few trees, but one the would be too easy to do in the day, but a chalange to do at night.

Edited by The 7 Hunters

Nightcaching is already being done - with reflectors to lead the way.

Might the OP be asking about not using reflectors and still calling it a "night cache?"

I have one night cache and it is in a park with a very dense stand of tall trees. I've worked it out to be a maze with a good 6 forks where you can go either right or left, one being a dead end. I have gotten a lot of good logs from this one. It's a bit of a challenge, but cachers are enjoying it for that.

I have done a couple in my area. I used the filters as mentioned above to find them. I'm getting ready to celebrate my 100th find by placing my first cache, which will be a day/night puzzle cache. You can solve it during the day using a puzzle or at night by using reflectors.

'Goose

Ok I only have 61 caches, so I still call myself a newby, because I have not lear hor to use the site better. How do you apply filters.

We are referring to doing pocket queries (http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.aspx), where you may set which cache attributes you want to filter out, or those which you want the cache to have. By using the "flashlight required" or the "recommended at night" attributes you can find caches designed for night time or you can flag your own cache as a night cache. I hope that helps.

'Goose

I do a lot of my caching at night regardless of if it is recomended or not. A lot of caches are actualy easyer at night because the camo doesn't realy work out in flashlight light. Not sure how you prevent this. Even the cloth camo tape performes poorly in flashlight light. Camo duct tape, bison tubes, etc stick out like a sore thumb. Lock-n-locks with any bit of the plastic exposed do too.

I do a lot of my caching at night regardless of if it is recomended or not. A lot of caches are actualy easyer at night because the camo doesn't realy work out in flashlight light. Not sure how you prevent this. Even the cloth camo tape performes poorly in flashlight light. Camo duct tape, bison tubes, etc stick out like a sore thumb. Lock-n-locks with any bit of the plastic exposed do too.

Comment on bolded above: Hide caches in parks closed at night?

Slight thread hijack here... I'm interested in setting up a reflector-based night cache but I'd like some feedback from folks with more experience. The only one I have seen was on a large private piece of land with soccer fields and woods. Because he owned the property, he could do what he wanted and set up a very nice course. The coords got you a spot where the first reflector was visible and then you had to track through six to get to the final location. For those of us who don't own a spare wooded lot, where are these usually set up? Parks are out because of the after-dusk closing. Urban areas would be tricky because of the lights (although I think that would be kind of interesting with some creative placements.

Just curious... I want to make one that's fun and challenging but legal.

Slight thread hijack here... I'm interested in setting up a reflector-based night cache but I'd like some feedback from folks with more experience. The only one I have seen was on a large private piece of land with soccer fields and woods. Because he owned the property, he could do what he wanted and set up a very nice course. The coords got you a spot where the first reflector was visible and then you had to track through six to get to the final location. For those of us who don't own a spare wooded lot, where are these usually set up? Parks are out because of the after-dusk closing. Urban areas would be tricky because of the lights (although I think that would be kind of interesting with some creative placements.

I've seen a couple set up in shopping areas.

I do night caching. It's frustrating but in some ways its more fun.

Last night I was out till 3AM and had to explain to the police what I was doing snooping around with a flashlight at that hour but I'm 50% for the night hunts in general. I'm just searching for regular traditional caches.

I set up a night cache in an urban area that you can do from tour car (for safety). I give coords of the clue, you shine the light and have to count the number or reflective fire tacks. You use the number to find the final. All you need are trees with about 20 yards of the road, and safe places to stop. To make it a little trickier, you can split up the fire tacks, putting them on different trees at the same clue location. Make sure you use the camo fire tacks so that they cant be seen during the day.