Geocaching as a Religion

Darn forum ate my original post.

This post is inspired by some comments in another thread. First, Unkle Fester provided the justification.

Um, this isn't a religion?

But we look for guidance from an unseen force in the sky... we get on our knees to search for the truth... usually throwing in a prayer 'please be here'... We journal about our experiences... we gather to offer thanks to those who have sacrificed for us... There are books offering truth about it (at least for dummies)... snd we try to convince others to join... and talking about it can really annoy our non believing friends...

And Clan Riffster provided the Commandments:

(1) Groundspeak shalt be thy Supreme Diety in all things regarding Tupperware hidden in the shrubbery, and thou shalt have no other cache listing service before them

(2) Thou shalt not post an image or any likeness of what is in the shrubbery, lest thou spoil the hunt of thy brethren

(3) Thou shalt not take the name of Signal in vain

(4) Remember the CITO day and keep it holy

(5) Honor your Reviewer and your Forum Moderator

(6) Thou shalt not kill another cacher, unless they post an SBA on thy cache

(7) Thou shalt not lust over the stats of others

(8) Thou shalt not muggle caches, nor shalt thou steal coins or bugs

(9) Thou shalt not bear false witness in thy cache logs

(10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ammo can

Maybe we can replace one of them with Thou Shalt Trade Up or Trade Even.

Think of the advantages of geocaching being an organized religion. In the United States, your right to geocache would be protected by the First Amendment (under the religion clauses). No more harassment by LEO or private security. I'm not an accountant, but I'm sure there are some tax benefits somewhere as well.

Thoughts, anyone? I nominate Sioneva as the First High Priest if this goes through.

Thoughts, anyone? I nominate Sioneva as the First High Priest if this goes through.

Naw, Vinny is the natural choice.

Jim

No, I think I prefer Chrysalides' idea. Sioneva should be the First High Priest. :o

Really? I think I detect a wee bit of a bias in that statement. :ph34r:

Jim

No, I think I prefer Chrysalides' idea. Sioneva should be the First High Priest. :)

Really? I think I detect a wee bit of a bias in that statement. :ph34r:

Why does my post say "sioneva"? :o

Jim

No, I think I prefer Chrysalides' idea. Sioneva should be the First High Priest. :ph34r:

Just think of the tax break's you'll get. :o

And after 2 months the "Church" can schism into the:

1. Order of the Verbose Loggers

2. The Power Cachers

3. The Real Geocachers

and many other splinter groups (e.g. pro cemetery, anti micro, etc.)

You forgot the Staunch Defenders of Everything Lame. I found that in a search tonight. What a wonderful name!

And after 2 months the "Church" can schism into the:

1. Order of the Verbose Loggers

2. The Power Cachers

3. The Real Geocachers

and many other splinter groups (e.g. pro cemetery, anti micro, etc.)

You forgot the Staunch Defenders of Everything Lame. I found that in a search tonight. What a wonderful name!

That's the evil side of this religion.

That really showed up in a search?? What where you looking for and found that? :ph34r:

I saw AlabamaRambler's title when I started reading the forums. It always made me wonder if, during a disagreement, I should feel relieved or insulted if AlabamaRambler took my side :ph34r:

That's the evil side of this religion.

Perception is reality.... :D

If it's evil to defend another's right to participate within the guidelines, then I have the mark of the beast. :huh::o:ph34r:

Omen_Trilogy_BD_2.jpg

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :o

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :o

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :laughing:

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. :laughing:

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :lol:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :o

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :o:)

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

Would the Groundspeak Lackeys become our patron saints?

(along with The Puppy Monster, naturally)

Sure, though we'll have to change the Catholic requirement that saints have to be dead a couple of centuries... We'll also name each of the GPS satellites. I mean, SVN-27 doesn't sound exactly awe inspiring for something that we "receive guidance from".

So should the original stash site be the Holy Land?

Welllll, considering all things, I believe they would be angels. :P

People who have given greatly to the community would be the saints. Organizers of events and especially Mega Events, prolific hiders who actually maintain their caches, etc. :blink:

Ahem... I haven't seen any tribute sent to me yet. The First Church of Geocaching accepts ammo can and neat swag.

In these bad economic times, I'm afraid all I can afford as tribute are 35mm film canisters :D

Now I just know this blasphemy is going to drive up my DNF ratio to an all time high...

Commandment #11 Thou shalt log thy Did Not Finds faithfully, so that others might know the truth.

And just so you're aware, the Montana branch of The One True Church is already discussing a schism, and deciding who will post our theses on the door of the Groundspeak Headquarters. :D

Since Snoogans has been identified as the person who will destroy geocaching as we know it, does that make him the Anti-Cache? :):D

I was waiting for that. :D

So I'm the dark lord of geocaching and Cujo is my hound of hell. :)

According to your sig line, you're really just a false prophet sent to lead us off our path, so ya the Anti-Cache might be correct. :D:D:smile::D:)

Love the George line though. That's funny!!! :smile:

Is Sioneva working on our book of gospel yet?? :)

Is it a sin to sleep in on a Saturday morning instead of caching?

Ahem... I haven't seen any tribute sent to me yet. The First Church of Geocaching accepts ammo can and neat swag.

In these bad economic times, I'm afraid all I can afford as tribute are 35mm film canisters :D

Now I just know this blasphemy is going to drive up my DNF ratio to an all time high...

Man your eating high on the hog. All I can spare is a nano.

Jim

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :D

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :smile:

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :)

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. :)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :D

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :)

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :smile:

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :D:D

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

I thought that the "Tree of Angst" was the one plant in the garden to stay away from. :):D

Jim

The reality is that Sioneva and I each have founded, and operate, geocaching churches, and, while each church already has a website and tax-exempt IRS status in the USA, some logistical and legal problems (more details may be found below) have delayed our advertising our competing geocaching churches on the Interweb.

Sioneva's church, of which she is the Chief Pontifex, is, as has been mentioned before, named The First International Sioneva Discount Church of Geocaching, while my markedly superior and far holier geocaching church, of which I am the Chief Psychopomp and also Chief Supreme Conductor of Souls, is The First Second Third Galactic Church of Vinny Geocaching, Third Synod, Second Convocation.

More information about each church, including links to their websites and information on the application process and the minor application fee (under $6,000 USD for each church), should be announced here on the forum as soon as we each resolve the annoying federal racketeering charges that sinister oppressive anti-geocaching/anti-God forces in the government leveled against each of our fine upstanding honest God-fearing churches several months ago. May God be with us.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Jim

The reality is that Sioneva and I each have founded, and operate, geocaching churches, and, while each church already has a website and tax-exempt IRS status in the USA, some logistical and legal problems (more details may be found below) have delayed our advertising our competing geocaching churches on the Interweb.

Sioneva's church, of which she is the Chief Pontifex, is, as has been mentioned before, named The First International Sioneva Discount Church of Geocaching, while my markedly superior and far holier geocaching church, of which I am the Chief Psychopomp and also Chief Supreme Conductor of Souls. is The First Second Third Galactic Church of Vinny Geocaching, Third Synod, Second Convocation.

More information about each church, including links to their websites and information on the application process and the minor application fee (under $6,000 USD for each church), should be announced here on the forum as soon as we each resolve the annoying federal racketeering charges that sinister oppressive anti-geocaching/anti-God forces in the government leveled against each of our fine upstanding honest God-fearing churches several months ago. May God be with us.

Beware of the dwarf.

I look forward to the day when the mighty Occult Hand shall reach down and smite the unbelievers so that we can all pledge our FTF to you.

Jim

Sioneva's church, of which she is the Chief Pontifex, is, as has been mentioned before, named The First International Sioneva Discount Church of Geocaching, while my markedly superior and far holier geocaching church, of which I am the Chief Psychopomp and also Chief Supreme Conductor of Souls, is The First Second Third Galactic Church of Vinny Geocaching, Third Synod, Second Convocation.

Vinny and Sioneva, we are all ready here in Iowa to open as soon as a name is chosen for the Iowa branch, so we can make the sign for the front of the building.

There will be a cache hidden away inside to bring in the "non-believer's", but I fear that may hit the agenda guideline. Still working on just how to word it so it will pass the guidelines. but also am still working on the occult puzzle for them to open the cache container. (See I know the real meaning of occult) I just need the link to the website, so we can announce the official opening of the Iowa-base church. Hey, we can list all meeting's as "event caches". :D

We humbly await and are willing to serve to spread the truth to all who are willing to listen.

To all non-believer's, I'm sorry to inform you but without true believing, you're DNF rate will be much higher, and (removed to protect the innocent).

beLIEve,

Parabola

<snippage of Vinnyism, due to restraining order against quoting his words verbatim. Or is the other way around?>

Vinny and Sioneva, we are all ready here in Iowa to open as soon as a name is chosen for the Iowa branch, so we can make the sign for the front of the building.

There will be a cache hidden away inside to bring in the "non-believer's", but I fear that may hit the agenda guideline. Still working on just how to word it so it will pass the guidelines. but also am still working on the occult puzzle for them to open the cache container. (See I know the real meaning of occult) I just need the link to the website, so we can announce the official opening of the Iowa-base church. Hey, we can list all meeting's as "event caches". :D

We humbly await and are willing to serve to spread the truth to all who are willing to listen.

To all non-believer's, I'm sorry to inform you but without true believing, you're DNF rate will be much higher, and (removed to protect the innocent).

beLIEve,

Parabola

I can't speak for Vinny (well, okay, I can, since he is merely one of my sock-puppets, and a very pretentious one at that), but

thank you for doing the needful, and the ChubbChubbs are coming!

<snippage of Vinnyism, due to restraining order against quoting his words verbatim. Or is the other way around?>

beLIEve,

Parabola

I can't speak for Vinny (well, okay, I can, since he is merely one of my sock-puppets, and a very pretentious one at that), but

thank you for doing the needful, and the ChubbChubbs are coming!

Well, I hope Vinny will share any info that helped him survive his ChubbChubbs encounter. I'm scared.

Well, I hope Vinny will share any info that helped him survive his ChubbChubbs encounter. I'm scared.

Are we really sure he did? He disappeared without a trace for more than a month, and when he returned, he seemed... different.

(thunder)

(spooky music)

(evil laughter)

Are we really sure he did? He disappeared without a trace for more than a month, and when he returned, he seemed... different.

(thunder)

(spooky music)

That's the same thing I was thinking when I saw the dreaded ChubbChubbs.

Now I'm scared. But I have my new faith to help me cope with sure issues. But I'm still scared.

Darn forum ate my original post.

This post is inspired by some comments in another thread. First, Unkle Fester provided the justification.

Um, this isn't a religion?

But we look for guidance from an unseen force in the sky... we get on our knees to search for the truth... usually throwing in a prayer 'please be here'... We journal about our experiences... we gather to offer thanks to those who have sacrificed for us... There are books offering truth about it (at least for dummies)... snd we try to convince others to join... and talking about it can really annoy our non believing friends...

And Clan Riffster provided the Commandments:

(1) Groundspeak shalt be thy Supreme Diety in all things regarding Tupperware hidden in the shrubbery, and thou shalt have no other cache listing service before them

(2) Thou shalt not post an image or any likeness of what is in the shrubbery, lest thou spoil the hunt of thy brethren

(3) Thou shalt not take the name of Signal in vain

(4) Remember the CITO day and keep it holy

(5) Honor your Reviewer and your Forum Moderator

(6) Thou shalt not kill another cacher, unless they post an SBA on thy cache

(7) Thou shalt not lust over the stats of others

(8) Thou shalt not muggle caches, nor shalt thou steal coins or bugs

(9) Thou shalt not bear false witness in thy cache logs

(10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ammo can

Maybe we can replace one of them with Thou Shalt Trade Up or Trade Even.

Think of the advantages of geocaching being an organized religion. In the United States, your right to geocache would be protected by the First Amendment (under the religion clauses). No more harassment by LEO or private security. I'm not an accountant, but I'm sure there are some tax benefits somewhere as well.

OMG this is so funny and oh so true. Can I add another commandment to that one

(11) thou shalt not flog, slap, beat or use any violence therein towards a dead horse! Instead use the search engine (being careful not to search for terms of under 5 characters eg FTF)

Claire xx

How in the name of the AntiCache did I miss this thread???

...And how did I get drug into it... :ph34r:

Thank the Frog for all your cache blessings lest thy be banned from the forums.

And Saint Cacher went unto the mountain where the Frog said: "Put on your boots, for this is caching ground. You have been chosen to do my bidding. Take this, thy holy ammo can and release it into the wild that it may be fruitful and multiply, and the Frog saw that it was good"

We could celebrate the high feast days by sacrificing micro's.

Hey, I suggest renaiming FTF's as the Holy Of Holy's

Sure, though we'll have to change the Catholic requirement that saints have to be dead a couple of centuries... We'll also name each of the GPS satellites. I mean, SVN-27 doesn't sound exactly awe inspiring for something that we "receive guidance from".

So should the original stash site be the Holy Land?

The Holy Land is in Estacada, Oregon. Original Stash Tribute. The CO is keeper of the Most Holy - Think he'd go for renaming it?

I vote SVN-27 be called "Bob"

The holy shroud is more like a can of Baked Beans

Holy Relics are archived caches and retired GPSr's

Anger not the caching Gods, for they will curse thee with a string of DNF's

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :ph34r:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." B)

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. B)

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. B)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. B)

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :wacko:

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. B)

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF B):ph34r:

I thought that the "Tree of Angst" was the one plant in the garden to stay away from. B)B)

Perhaps for the sake of our new religion I should rename it the Burning Bush of Angst.

Wait! If I did that, wouldn't that make me a geocaching god? B)

Better not. My ego is friggin' HUGE as it is. :P

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :ph34r:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." B)

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. B)

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. B)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. B)

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :wacko:

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. B)

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF B):ph34r:

I thought that the "Tree of Angst" was the one plant in the garden to stay away from. B)B)

Perhaps for the sake of our new religion I should rename it the Burning Bush of Angst.

Wait! If I did that, wouldn't that make me a geocaching god? B)

Better not. My ego is friggin' HUGE as it is. :P

Would the Geocaching God not be the person who planted the very first cache?? Or Groundspeak since they control the Guidelines for the caches?

Claire xx

Exactly how many positions for Geocache God are up for Grabs here. Is there a tinity or something like in the Bible.

Claire xx

Mono or Poly theistic?

One God, one frog.

The rest of us are merely profits. Although those who start religions are usually Apostles or Desciples.

The Apostle Fester or Saint Fester has such a nice ring... Quick, can we celebrate St Festers Day?

Our Signal, who art in Seattle, halowed be thyn croak.

Give us this day our daily find, and forgive us our tresspassings, as we have forgiven those who have tresspassed before us.

As Caches come, thy hides be done, on either side of the Atlantic or Pacific.

I'm gonna burn for this...