Caches in Manhattan NYC?

kurchian

My best suggestion would be to create a route in Google Earth using streets in the center of the island, but Central Park will put a wrinkle in that. The best bet would probably be using 5th Avenue on the east side of the park. You could then search for caches along that route with a half mile wide search on each side and that would pretty much just give you the island. Make sure you start and stop your route a half mile from each end as well.

There's a wide variety of caches in Manhattan, and we like to plan which ones we want to find beforehand, so we use the Geocaching Maps to look at each of the caches manually beforehand.

I know that's not what you're asking for, but you may want to peek at the caches beforehand rather than just setting out on foot, hoping to find everything nearby.

If that doesn't work and you use GSAK, I'd use hallycat's suggestion of filtering by county. Manhattan is in New York county.

For premium members, you can use the route I created - Manhattan Island Half Mile Route - as the basis of a pocket query.

Choose the query to include 500 caches and choose the distance from the route to be 0.5 miles. That should get you all 171 caches on Manhattan Island.

This looks great. I am having trouble creating a zip file that contains these caches. When I click "Download Waypoints" I get a .loc file instead of a .gpx file.

How do I convert the caches from a pocket query into an application that I can export to my GPSr? I use a mac and GeoJournal.

This looks great. I am having trouble creating a zip file that contains these caches. When I click "Download Waypoints" I get a .loc file instead of a .gpx file.

How do I convert the caches from a pocket query into an application that I can export to my GPSr? I use a mac and GeoJournal.

Select a day of the week for the Pocket Query to run, and when it's generated it will be sent to your account's e-mail (provided your service provider doesn't block the e-mail as spam).

There's a wide variety of caches in Manhattan, and we like to plan which ones we want to find beforehand, so we use the Geocaching Maps to look at each of the caches manually beforehand.

I know that's not what you're asking for, but you may want to peek at the caches beforehand rather than just setting out on foot, hoping to find everything nearby.

If that doesn't work and you use GSAK, I'd use hallycat's suggestion of filtering by county. Manhattan is in New York county.

I still miss the zip codes being faded but visible on the maps. Now I resort to going to zipcodes.com, enter the city and state, and choose one of their zip codes that comes up, then enter it in gc.com. :laughing: