no GPS?

nbailey17

I found a cache in the woods one day and looked up the site. I didn't have a GPS then and I dont have any money to get one. I know its not many but that is mainly because I have been busy, and I've already found 8 caches just by looking at the maps and deciphering the clue every time. Does anyone else do this? (and) To those of you who do use GPS does anyone have a problem with someone who doesn't? Because they seem to be more hassle than they're worth unless you're going somewhere you might get lost so I'm not plannin on buying one anytime soon.

Depends on where you want to go caching. Many rural areas have very poor ariel photos and maps are often off by 50 - 100 or more feet (see zip 69336). Having said that - many cachers do not use a GPS and have hundreds of finds. I have no problems with that. I personally have found about 10 without using my GPS. But it sure is easier and requires less planning if you do have a GPS.

A used one can be had for under $50 on ebay and many other sources. I encourage you to look into buying one.

Here are a couple of other options.

This first one is an older unit, not as accurate as a new one and will take longer to lock on to the satellite. Also I'm not sure if you can hook it to your computer to load the data, if not you will have to hand enter the data. But you can get it for $30.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGELLAN-GPS-PIONEER-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

The other is $49.00. If you can come up with that much you get a newer unit. I'm also not sure if the Lowrence I Finder Go has a data cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/lowrance-I-finder-go_W...bayphotohosting

Either one would work to get you caching, and down the road you could save up to get a better unit after you have decided how nuts you are going to go. I'll warn you most of us go way nuts!

Thank you guys i will check out all those links. if i can find one cheap enough and get the money for it i'd love to get a gps just for those ones that i absolutely cannot find. As far as going crazy i'm sure i will i dont wanna declare myself an addict after just 10 finds, but i truly enjoy the hunt and the finder's high (my terms for it i don't know what others call it) is amazing :ph34r:

also along the same lines if i dont have a GPS can i still hide a cache? if not i can wait a while but i thought it would be cool

The rules say you need to provide GPS coordinates. One option is to get another cacher to check your coordinates before you submit them for publication.

In lots of areas the satellite images are easy enough to read that most anyone could determine good coordinates, but in deep woods with few landmarks visible from the air.. especially in summer photos... you would need a lot of experience to be safely within the typical 20 ft range. However you determine coordinates, it's extremely important to provide coordinates that are as perfect as they can be. I'd put "good coordinates" as the most important attribute of a cache.

Since "waiting a while" is OK it seems that you do intend to buy a GPS. It is likely that by then you will have done enough caches to have developed a good feeling for the type of hides you enjoy and want to emulate.

it's extremely important to provide coordinates that are as perfect as they can be. I'd put "good coordinates" as the most important attribute of a cache.

I agree. I typically use the waypoint averaging feature of my GPSr and don't save it until the indicated error is 6 or 7 feet - usually 100 to 150 readings. The log entries for my hides frequently mention that the coordinates are superb, so people do appreciate it.

Nothing worse than going after a hide that you swear someone tossed out of a car window into a bush and sloppily marked the coordinates. I've found a few where the coordinates were off by 150 feet.

Edited by Kohavis
if i can find one cheap enough and get the money for it i'd love to get a gps just for those ones that i absolutely cannot find.

Heh ...

Don't be surprised if the number of caches you "absolutely cannot find" goes up once you get a GPSr. Gadgetry is no substitute for a good geosense and it's not uncommon that a reliance on gadgetry becomes a handicap to the development of a good geosense.

Pete (who's been there, done that)

thank you so much i found that last night and downloaded it in time to go today with my dad. i definitely found out that its bad to rely on the gps too much my dad found almost all the micros cuz i was lookin at the gps while he was lookin for the cache so im def. gonna need to work on that but i am starting to develope my geosenses to a very miniscule degree, but hey, its a start :P

thank you so much i found that last night and downloaded it in time to go today with my dad. i definitely found out that its bad to rely on the gps too much my dad found almost all the micros cuz i was lookin at the gps while he was lookin for the cache so im def. gonna need to work on that but i am starting to develope my geosenses to a very miniscule degree, but hey, its a start :P

hey that's pretty awesome, out with your dad for some geocaching. i was out this morning with my daughter/trusty geobuddy. good times as usual.

yeah he's busy alot plus he's 59 and im 17 so we dont get to do much together but this is something we both actually enjoy and if he doesnt have much time we can just go after one or two so we actually get to spend some time together and have fun doing it

yeah he's busy alot plus he's 59 and im 17 so we dont get to do much together but this is something we both actually enjoy and if he doesnt have much time we can just go after one or two so we actually get to spend some time together and have fun doing it

I am very glad to hear you are doing things with your dad... more people doing things with parents/children might help our world be a better place!! As for the GPS, use it to get near GZ (ground zero) and then let geo-senses take over. Also, you may get to know which cache hiders in your area have good coordinates, and will know how far to trust the GPS.

Keep up with the caching, and have fun!

well the funny thing was that the first 5 or so caches we found with it it took us straight to them (at full battery) for the rest it was always 5-15 feet off (still with full battery) so im not sure maybe the batteries just werent good? but it got us close enough to find most of them and it wouldnt be fun if it led us straight to the cache anyway so it's all good =D

I have the old yellow etrex, and 5-15 feet sounds good most of the time!! Someday, I will get a fancy one, but just can't see spending 300-500 dollars right now. Sounds like you get the idea with this - my biggest problem is that sometimes I need to set the GPS aside sooner and trust instinct.

thank you for all your help guys. i somehow managed to convince them to buy the eTrex Venture HC. does anyone know how to put coordinates into it manually? out CD drive is on the fritz right now so it'd be nice, but if not oh well lol =]

Couple of things you will want to check into;

1. Free TOPO map of Florida that will work on that GPS unit: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/123/

2. Link to getting the software that will work if you are having problems with your CD drive:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...-with-your-gps/