Looking for honest feedback

Hi folks,

I generally don't post here alot, but now that the warmer weather is coming in, I'm looking to be more active in the geocaching community.

This weekend I hid my fist geocache in the Avalon Park & Preserve in Stonybrook, NY. It took me a good two hour to find a suitable hiding spot, that was well hidden, but not totally inaccessable. After my wife and I planted the cache, I came home and logged it on geocaching.com.

My cache was rejected becuase it was 367 feet from the following cache (GC1HTBX):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...80-edd97b6aae40

I understand that the "guideline" for planting a cache is that it has to be 528 feet from an existing cache, to prevent too many caches from being in one area.

One of my points of contention is that the cache in question has been neglected for months now and it seems like the cache owner is not even responding. In fact, another cache beloning to that owner seems to have been shut down.

I guess my question to you all is, if there's a cache in a state of disrepair, and the owenr is not attending to it, should that stop another cache from being planted?

I'm not looking to fight the system, but I am looking for the opinions of my fellow geocachers. If everyone thinks I should move the cache, because rules are rules, then I'll be happy to do so, but I'm of the opinion that if there's a cache that is not being maintained, it should be removed.

Thanks in advance for your replies :laughing:

How would you feel if you were the owner of the other cache?? Some new guy comes along and claims your cache is trashy and not worthy of continuing. How would you respond to that claim??

Have you shared your concerns with the other cache owner? Filed a NM log on that cache?

Maybe you could just be friendly and go do a little TLC on a fellow Geocachers hide??

Your cache is too close as long as that other one is still listed.

How would you feel if you were the owner of the other cache?? Some new guy comes along and claims your cache is trashy and not worthy of continuing. How would you respond to that claim??

Have you shared your concerns with the other cache owner? Filed a NM log on that cache?

Maybe you could just be friendly and go do a little TLC on a fellow Geocachers hide??

Your cache is too close as long as that other one is still listed.

I do see your points there, and they are good ones.

Personally, if my cache had gone months without maintence, I would not be bothered if it were removed. But that's just me. All the same, I do see your point.

It seems the Cache owner is not responding, at least from what I can tell on the log for that cache. I will attempt to contact though.

Like I said, I'm not above moving mine, I just wanted some feedback from members, which you have been kind enough to provide. Thank you!

Well I am going to refrain from making comments about what I think should be done because I am too new to have a good answer for you!

But what I do want to say is...placing caches does get easier! Our first time we redid it three times and I was using the map to check for other caches...so I thought! LOL

Hang in there and don't get frustrated is my only point!

Happy Caching!

Well I am going to refrain from making comments about what I think should be done because I am too new to have a good answer for you!

But what I do want to say is...placing caches does get easier! Our first time we redid it three times and I was using the map to check for other caches...so I thought! LOL

Hang in there and don't get frustrated is my only point!

Happy Caching!

Thanks for posting! I will likely move the cache, but it never hurts to seek feedback from fellow geocachers :laughing:

Definintely not frustrated. I enjoy this too much :D

I guess my question to you all is, if there's a cache in a state of disrepair, and the owenr is not attending to it, should that stop another cache from being planted?

As StarBrand said, as long as the other cache is still active, you're pretty much out of luck.

Unless the spot is the most perfect spot in the world, I'm sure there are plenty of other good spots 200 feet away. You may not want to, but I'd just move it to a new spot and adjust the coords.

If the other cache is in really bad shape, you should post a Should Be Archived. If it gets archived and the owner doesn't pick it up, I'd email them and see if they want you to pick it up. If they don't respond after a few days, I'd just take it and put the stuff in the cache into another one.

Edited by Skippermark

While needing maintenance, the other cache is still there and the owner has logged in within the last month. So the chances of it getting archived by a reviewer are pretty much nil. Plus, some people see a wet log as "normal", probably a result of finding too many caches in poor containers.

Pretty much your only option here is to move your cache, update the coords, and try again. Well, I guess you could sabotage the other cache, but that could get you banned.

While needing maintenance, the other cache is still there and the owner has logged in within the last month. So the chances of it getting archived by a reviewer are pretty much nil. Plus, some people see a wet log as "normal", probably a result of finding too many caches in poor containers.

Pretty much your only option here is to move your cache, update the coords, and try again. Well, I guess you could sabotage the other cache, but that could get you banned.

Yeah, the other cache is too new (under a year old!!) and the cubmaster has logged in within the last month. There is a picture of the cache in the first 5 logs. Looks like cheapo disposable gladware, with no zip lock bag for the logbook. Not passing judgement of course, just making an observation about the horrifically wet log, as reported by many finders.

I'm not looking to fight the system, but I am looking for the opinions of my fellow geocachers. If everyone thinks I should move the cache, because rules are rules, then I'll be happy to do so, but I'm of the opinion that if there's a cache that is not being maintained, it should be removed.

You really have no choice if you want it listed here. Reviewers will sometimes make an exception if its a matter of a few feet, but not 150 feet under without some major barrier between the caches. As others said the fact that the nearby cache is in poor shape doesn't mean that you can just move in and have it shut down.

The cache in question was just put there six months ago and the owner logged onto this site this month.

It is rare for a cache to need maintaince that often, but if it does the proper response is to put a Needs Maintaince request on the cache.

If the other cache was missing and the owner hadn't shown up online in five years, then you could put a needs maintaince request on it, and then after a while they might archive it. This might take months, and just isn't the case in your situation.

But never would it be proper to boot another cache because it happens to be where you want to plant yours.

This sort of thing happens all the time. (people submitting a cache and finding out it's too close to another) Especially people without paid memberships will not know where the member only caches are so they hide near those often. With the game getting more and more popular this will become a problem more and more often.

Just check the maps next time before you plant a cache.

So just find another "perfect spot" for your cache

and if it happens again, just move it, and know that lot's of others have the same challenge.

The cache in question was just put there six months ago and the owner logged onto this site this month.

It is rare for a cache to need maintaince that often, but if it does the proper response is to put a Needs Maintaince request on the cache.

If the other cache was missing and the owner hadn't shown up online in five years, then you could put a needs maintaince request on it, and then after a while they might archive it. This might take months, and just isn't the case in your situation.

But never would it be proper to boot another cache because it happens to be where you want to plant yours.

This sort of thing happens all the time. (people submitting a cache and finding out it's too close to another) Especially people without paid memberships will not know where the member only caches are so they hide near those often. With the game getting more and more popular this will become a problem more and more often.

Just check the maps next time before you plant a cache.

So just find another "perfect spot" for your cache

and if it happens again, just move it, and know that lot's of others have the same challenge.

The real shame here is that the last 9 cachers to log it, 10 cachers including yourself, know that the cache log is wet and haven't replaced it. :unsure:

What's up with that? If a cache needs a little TLC, give it! :blink:

Who you talking about? The OP never logged the cache. Are you saying they have a duty to go find it BECAUSE they know it's distressed? That's kinda ridiculous.

They should go find it, but not for that reason. They should mark it so they can measure the distance to a spot where they can place a cache. The existing cache is the only one in that part of the park. There are plenty of suitable locations for a new cache, and it's a beautiful area worthy of another cache or two.

When I found the other cache a few days ago, I did not have any repair supplies with me and I did not remember the cache page. I've got to say, though, on an easy to maintain cache like that one where the owner is just too irresponsible to take care of it, I'm more inclined to write an SBA and then put my own cache there. I think it's silly to go to extraordinary measures to keep a cache going in someone else's name when they have lost interest in the game and couldn't care less.

The real shame here is that the last 9 cachers to log it, 10 cachers including yourself, know that the cache log is wet and haven't replaced it. :unsure:

What's up with that? If a cache needs a little TLC, give it! :blink:

For the record, I'm not one of the 9 cachers who logged it. I'm going by the logs left by other people who discovered it.

That said, I'll definitely move the cache when next I can.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to chime in. :ph34r:

Edited by MerlynNY

Oh, it looks like that other cache is hidden by a pack of cub scouts. It`s curmudgeonly of me, I know, but I cringe when I see caches hidden by a group of kids. They lose interest quickly and then you have neglected caches like this one. I wonder if the "pack" has a leader who is a regular cacher with another handle?

Another drawback of a cache hidden by kids is that it makes me feel guilty when I steal the cache, post a DNF and SBA and then put my own cache in its place. :unsure:

The cache owner intentionally left what many consider to be the crappiest (regular) container on the planet.

The cache has been in a state of serious disrepair since March. The owner apparently can't be bothered with maintanance.

How kewl is the "perfect" spot you found?

If you think you can find another spot just as good, that might be the way to go.

If your second choice is an aesthetic compromise, leave your cache where it is and wait till the NM turns into an SBA.

The cache owner intentionally left what many consider to be the crappiest (regular) container on the planet.

The cache has been in a state of serious disrepair since March. The owner apparently can't be bothered with maintanance.

How kewl is the "perfect" spot you found?

If you think you can find another spot just as good, that might be the way to go.

If your second choice is an aesthetic compromise, leave your cache where it is and wait till the NM turns into an SBA.

Haven't had a chance to go pick it up yet, but it's likely I'll just reposition it. Seems it's easier that way.

I tried contacting the Cache owner, but I've not received a reply yet.

Edited by MerlynNY