Lots of foot traffic

B192734

So, it frustrates me a bit sometimes when I can see a cache sitting there, know exactly where it is, but just can't seem to find a break in the people wandering around. How does everyone out there deal with this type of cache? What kind of tricks do you have? How do you manage to be in the middle of a crowded park, and still manage to dig through a bush and pull the cache without being excessively obvious and not make everyone around stop and stare? :laughing:

So, it frustrates me a bit sometimes when I can see a cache sitting there, know exactly where it is, but just can't seem to find a break in the people wandering around. How does everyone out there deal with this type of cache? What kind of tricks do you have? How do you manage to be in the middle of a crowded park, and still manage to dig through a bush and pull the cache without being excessively obvious and not make everyone around stop and stare? :laughing:

Did one stage of a multi at a roadside Starbucks the other day. The cache was located in a crevice in a rock wall (no spoiler there - in description). It was within view of the busy drive thru lane and somewhat in view of the tables on the patio (which were occupied).

We really wanted to pickup this one as it was one of 6 separate caches that were needed to complete the 7th final cache.

When I pulled up I sent my better half off with the GPSr to find the cache. I put the hood up on my Jeep after parking in the closest spot to the cache, got out and pulled my cell phone out to pretend to be calling for help (and deter helpful muggles that might want to help me fix my Jeep).

Wife pulled the container, got in the Jeep to log it and write down the clue, and quickly replaced.

Funny thing - that fixed my Jeep :D

I've done that a couple of times with the GPS as a cell phone. Worked then, but it's the bigger caches that seem to always present the problem. Micros you can kind of just snatch and hide them. The bigger ones are harder when you're standing there "talking" and then sudden't you bend over and pull an ammo box out of the bushes, which then draws everyones attention to look at the guy that suddenly is carrying an ammo box out of the bushes.

I'm just trying to come up with some more "moves". Trying to be a little more stealthy so I don't have to leave it to come back later as often...

A clipboard and a hard hat will make you blend into the background. You can do pretty much anything (within reason) and nobody will notice you.

or

Carry a book about local plants and trees and a notebook - flip pages and gesture a lot as you inspect every plant in the area and pretend to take notes.

Short of that - my best advice is to be bold, not stealthy. Spot the cache, boldly walk over and pick it up as though you were in your own home picking up a coin you dropped on the carpet. Act as though you are supposed to be doing exactly what you are doing. Take care of cache business and boldly put it back. Then walk off and don't look back - behave the whole time as though you have been ordered to do it by your boss.

Of course the other advice is to just skip it as such finds with an audience are rarely much fun.

I have also used my GPS and put it up to my ear like a cell phone.

No one is the wiser.

don't kid yourself.

every time you do this people are not fooled, but they think you look like a serious dweeb and give you a WIDE berth.

I have to say i would not be anywhere near as successful doing this hobby alone. as someone else also mentioned they do there best movies in groups of two. For example our light post move involves us both sitting on the concrete round facing muggles and lifting it behind out backs while one of us pretends to talk on the phone. bodies make great cover

For caches hidden in "plain view" if you know what I mean, my cover is that I carry a clipboard and pen so I look like I'm an inspector.

For LPC's, I park next to it, pop the hood, then make it look like I'm waiting for a jump and wait for the right moment to snatch the LPC cache.

Other times, my story is "I lost my cell phone in the bushes. I'll find it. Thanks though"

Sometimes I do the bold move as well.

Sometimes I have my kids with me to provide cover anytime I go to a playground cache.

All depends on the circumstances and what type of cache it is.

Edited by todd300

Sometimes it's simply a matter of timing. I grabbed a fence cache just feet from one of the busiest streets in town during rush hour and I probably could have taken the whole fence and nobody would have noticed. There were squad cars with lights flashing and about a half dozen uniformed officers cuffing up a couple of guys right across the street so nobody was even remotely interested in what I was doing. :blink:

You can't count on stuff like that, though, so some props are good things to have in your kit. My personal favorite for most urban environments is having one of those big yellow 30' tape measures on my belt. That and a clip board will completely satisfy most people's curiosity. If you look like you're working, most people will just accept whatever you're doing without giving it a second thought.

But if you really want to draw attention to yourself, just try to act inconspicuous. :unsure:

Pete

My caching partner (6yo daughter) makes great cover. If you have a kid you can do all kids of crazy things. LPC's are a breeze with her. I lift, she grabs. Its done in one continuous motion that takes less than 5 seconds.

When we spot the cache we make bold sure movements so we don't look suspicious. Don't look around when you are making your move, you should have done that when you got out of the car.

OH, and after all that I have said, people still wonder what the heck you are doing.

I found a cache a few months ago that was entertaining. It was a micro near a repair garage. While I was parked and making notes on the cache the owner came out to ask if I had fixed something. I said "NO". He then asked what I was doing. I then had to spill the beans. I showed him the cache and told him that he could laugh at the crazy cachers. He mimicked exactly what people do when being stealthy about finding micros. Boy his hands were all over that bus stop. I had to laugh. All the Stealthy behavior of previous cachers had been burned into this guys mind. He must have thought crazy people are on the loose.

I use my GF for cover. She attracts attention and I snatch the cache. But i agree with most of your posts. If you look confident then people won't even notice that you suddenly pulled a box out of thin air. And i don't hide my GPS in the forest. I act lost so that people think that I'm dumb and that i need a GPS.

every time you do this people are not fooled, but they think you look like a serious dweeb and give you a WIDE berth.

Hey, whatever works - including twitching and talking to myself :ph34r:

my point is that it doesn't really work. whenever i see some bozo pretending to talk into something other than a cellphone, i assume the idiot is trying to be stealthy about something. it is my notification that there is something going on that i should be watching, if for no other reason than amusement.

because i AM skilled at stealth, i simply watch and take notes while this pinwheel flails about thinking to himself how clever he is.

If you're hunting in parks or natural areas try carrying a baseball mitt. People will assume you are searching for your baseball.

I personally use a camera and poke around the area taking close up shots of stuff.

I agree it's best to be bold and obvious, stealth looks creepy.

The other best advise is to skip it and come back on a week day or less busy time.

But sometimes less people is worse... like the time I left the park walking path with my 20 year old son and entered the scrubby bush and tree area... a police officer was waiting when we came out. It's nice to be carrying a cache printout for times like this!

in my kit I always carry my camo tape

and if area is heavily congested with muggles I wrap myself in the tape and NOBODY sees me, lol

just kidding

when trying to be stealthy you usually arent, sometimes it is best to just walk up and make the grab

if somebody asks what you are doing just answer them truthfully and invite them into the world of geocaching

happy hunting

So, it frustrates me a bit sometimes when I can see a cache sitting there, know exactly where it is, but just can't seem to find a break in the people wandering around. How does everyone out there deal with this type of cache? What kind of tricks do you have?

I've had times where the cache is in such a busy location with people actually sitting around, I've had to go back after "business" hours to get at it. It's a distinct possibility... Playing around in the bushes in the middle of the day when you don't look like a landscaper is kind of suspicious. Now if you'd grab a pair of gloves and clippers and nip a few ends of the trees off it might pass casually, but not if you don't stay at it awhile. Where we live (near prime military installations) it would certainly get you noticed if not picked up and questioned (things got really spooky after 9/11). I don't much care for that so I'd rather be less rather than more obvious. One instance people were sitting nearly on top of one caches hanging out of their car - I stuck around long enough to look suspicious just sitting instead of doing business, then gave up for a more "propitious" moment. I'm not quite ready to try brazening out a situation where I'm caught at it (poor liar). I do carry my camera with me (and photograph at the same time I'm cacheing) and it's reasonable to be looking around for picture subjects nearly anywhere but not everywhere.

Still, there are some situations that just don't fit nearly any of the usual deceptions. Around here if you don't have a transit and crew with you they don't buy the surveyor story (we see surveying going on nearly constantly) and someone subpoenaing in the bushes outside a bank isn't very convincing either. While I could pass for a tourist in most places (they are known for doing odd things) not everywhere makes sense either. Where options are few, I don't think going back when things are calmer is a bad solution.

Edited by cjz_here