'An Error Has Occurred' when previewing a CAaR PQ

clubjuggle

I am leaving for a trip in a few hours and started last night trying to generate a PQ of the trip route. I am trying to preview the route with varying search radii (starting at 2 miles) to determine how much I need to narrow it down to get under 500 caches.

Any time I try to preview, I get the following (rather unhelpful) error:

An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. You may choose to retry your previous request. Or you may tell us what you were doing when this error occurred.

If anyone is interested in trying to duplicate the error, the route I am using is http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit...3f-28b28514e7d4

To start, I am starting with the following selections:

Search 2 miles on either side of the route

Show me 500 caches

Of:

Any cache type

Any container type

No filter options selected

No attributes chosen to include/exclude (though this feature doesn't seem to work on Firefox in Linux)

Output to this account's email address

Compress files into zip format

Any insight into why this preview is not working is appreciated. I also tried scheduling the query to run overnight, and so far it hasn't. Yes, I checked my spam folder.

Thanks,

~Terry

If you are in a hurry I would try doing it the other way. Load a KML route from Google Earth.

I can try that as a test to see if it's the problem, but I need to include an intermediate waypoint, so that can't be the solution (unless I create 2 routes and blow 2 PQs, I guess).

Thanks,

~Terry

If you are in a hurry I would try doing it the other way. Load a KML route from Google Earth.

I can try that as a test to see if it's the problem, but I need to include an intermediate waypoint, so that can't be the solution (unless I create 2 routes and blow 2 PQs, I guess).

Thanks,

~Terry

Can't you drag the route different ways? (Like if you wanted to pass through a certain city?)

Can't you drag the route different ways? (Like if you wanted to pass through a certain city?)

I don't think that can be done in Google Earth... at least, it didn't seem to work the one time I ever tried it.

Of course, I am by no means an expert in Google Earth. I don't use it except for this purpose.

For future reference... (It can be done without Google Earth.)

Create a google direction map. Drag points between destinations to change the route. Save to your maps. (Google account.)

View in your maps once you log onto Google.

Top right of map you see "View in Google Earth". Click that and save the kml file (instead of opening it in GE.)

That was a lesson for me too. Thanks! I hope you have it figured out.

For future reference... (It can be done without Google Earth.)

Create a google direction map. Drag points between destinations to change the route. Save to your maps. (Google account.)

View in your maps once you log onto Google.

Top right of map you see "View in Google Earth". Click that and save the kml file (instead of opening it in GE.)

That was a lesson for me too. Thanks! I hope you have it figured out.

I tried that just now and I uploaded the KML, but it didn't see any routes in the file. Perhaps the format is slightly different?

~Terry

I tried that just now and I uploaded the KML, but it didn't see any routes in the file. Perhaps the format is slightly different?

~Terry

Sorry it didn't work. I guess I should have actually tried it. I did save the kml. I don't know. Is your original route more than 500 miles?

The site seems to be choking on any versions of this route that request caches over 1 mile on either side. My guess is because it results in more than 500 caches but a dev will have to investigate to be sure.

Until it can be fixed my suggestion is to halve your route and create a query for each leg of the trip. That way you can have a wide "radius" and still not run up against the 500 cache limit.

If anyone is interested in trying to duplicate the error, the route I am using is http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit...3f-28b28514e7d4

Thanks,

~Terry

I created a PQ from that route with a 2 mile buffer, no other changes.

I got back 100 caches (the limit) on a preview.

(But the Display in Google Maps gives me 0 caches.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

The site seems to be choking on any versions of this route that request caches over 1 mile on either side. My guess is because it results in more than 500 caches but a dev will have to investigate to be sure.

Until it can be fixed my suggestion is to halve your route and create a query for each leg of the trip. That way you can have a wide "radius" and still not run up against the 500 cache limit.

I was able to duplicate the problem using the site-generated route with a radius of .1 miles, as well as a 7-mile long route that I created duplicating my commute to work.

My old way of generating routes using Google Maps and not having to touch Google Earth which is abysmal for routing:

Go here:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Drag the bookmarklet onto your bookmark bar.

Whenever you have finished making a Google maps route, click on the bookmark. It will pop a window up. Click on the "full" button.

Copy and paste all that text into a new text file. Save it as a whatever.gpx file. Upload that to gc.com as the cache-along-a-route file.