Whats the best Geocaching GPS for under $200?

I would have said the DeLorme PN20, but since your friend isn't very computer savvy I'd say the Garmin Venture HC. It can be found for around $120 and I've seen refurbs for $89 on Ebay. With a $200 budget that leaves money for mapping software. For that unit I'd go with Mapsource Topo.

Have your friend compare the Lowrance Endura Out&Back (which should hit shelves in June), the DeLorme PN-20, and the Garmin Legend HCx and see which one he likes more. I have a DeLorme PN20 and I like it. It did take some fiddling (but very little) to realize everything and I have had to post a question or two on the DeLorme forums asking how to use some features of their map software but it really is not that difficult. DeLorme has a number of videos on youtube showing how to work the device and they're quite helpful. Map software and a GPSr for under $150 is hard to beat.

I would have said the DeLorme PN20, but since your friend isn't very computer savvy I'd say the Garmin Venture HC. It can be found for around $120 and I've seen refurbs for $89 on Ebay. With a $200 budget that leaves money for mapping software. For that unit I'd go with Mapsource Topo.

I WILL say the PN-20 and, get this, I am NOT computer savvy at all!! Simple to use, everything you need right in the box and all for under $130...can't beat this! If you could swing a bit more, I'd say the PN-40 is even better since you can auto-route better with that (the 20 can as well, but screen redraw is a bit slow making it not the best for routing), but the PN-20 is a great unit with advanced features you can learn at your own pace!

Best for under $200....if the Venture or Vista could do paperless (completely paperless including logging via field notes), I might recommend them. They can't and they also can't provide aerial imagery. It's all a matter of what YOU want from the unit when it comes to best!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Its got a few caveats but I have to agree - you just can't get quite as much for the money as you can with the PN-20. But I also agree with Briansnat that you need to be a bit tech savvy to get the most out of the software.

Next best bet is either the Venture HC or the Legend HCx - from Garmin. Both Feature USB computer connections, long battery life, Geocaching mode (not paperless), nice form factor, mapping abilities, high sensitivity. The legend also throws in expanadable memory and the abilty to autoroute with the right maps. Check out free maps for your Garmin at: This Site.

Its got a few caveats but I have to agree - you just can't get quite as much for the money as you can with the PN-20. But I also agree with Briansnat that you need to be a bit tech savvy to get the most out of the software.

Next best bet is either the Venture HC or the Legend HCx - from Garmin. Both Feature USB computer connections, long battery life, Geocaching mode (not paperless), nice form factor, mapping abilities, high sensitivity. The legend also throws in expanadable memory and the abilty to autoroute with the right maps. Check out free maps for your Garmin at: This Site.

Fair assessment! The unit itself is simple to use, but the TOPO software isn't quite as easy (I've yet to get my upgrade to TOPO 8, so I can't say if it's made simpler or not). Loading subscription maps (not the topo maps provided, they are pre-cut on disks) via TOPO 7 is a bit of work, but not too hard to learn with the step-by-step guide listed in the DeLorme forums. One of these days, I will get my upgrade and then will report on that!

The free maps do make the Garmins a bit more appealing, maps are expensive if you don't know where to go for the free ones!

....., but the TOPO software isn't quite as easy (I've yet to get my upgrade to TOPO 8, so I can't say if it's made simpler or not). Loading subscription maps (not the topo maps provided, they are pre-cut on disks) via TOPO 7 is a bit of work, but not too hard to learn with the step-by-step guide listed in the DeLorme forums. .....

While the above may be a valid assessment of the Topo 7 application on a standalone basis,

I'm not certain that it is relative on a comparative basis.

That is, those Topo 7 features can't be done with other software and other handhelds, AFAIK.

Therefore, if you choose to limit Topo 7 and the PN-40 to only the capabilities of other handhelds,

what is the issue of lack of simplicity or a little more work.

Those things that do require a little more work, downloading subscription imagery and loading on a PN-40,

can't be done with other handhelds and so what is the relevance of comparing them?

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

After checking two of the three links you posted, I must say that you should try to post up-to-date info. Things have drastically changed with the PN series in the last year or more, your links are waaay outdated and misleading!

Vista or Legend HCX. Well proven, simple to use but has many deeper features. Loading maps from the huge numbers available for free is a breeze and premium (superb) road routing solutions available.

PN-20 is feature packed, yes, but the PC part is way over complex and the GPS unit is slow as molasses*. If you want to buy a Delorme unit, buy the PN-40 (but >$200).

*taken straight from the fridge

Edited by Maingray
PN-20 is feature packed, yes, but the PC part is way over complex and the GPS unit is slow as molasses*. If you want to buy a Delorme unit, buy the PN-40 (but >$200).
Depends on what you're using the GPS for. I got my PN-40 in late February and I've fired up Topo7 a handful of times. I haven't been using it for cutting maps, as the web-based map service from DeLorme has satisfied my needs thus far. I don't do track logs & lots of waypoints to "process" back at home, so I just plain haven't needed it.

Don't forget about the PN-30 coming out soon. Price-wise it'll slot in between the -20 & -40, and is basically the -40 minus the electronic compass & barometric altimeter. In a green case, which will be less visually offensive to those who prize aesthetics over performance.

Vista or Legend HCX. Well proven, simple to use but has many deeper features. Loading maps from the huge numbers available for free is a breeze and premium (superb) road routing solutions available.

*taken straight from the fridge

The trade-off being that the PN-20 is paperless while the Garmins are good for routing. Remember that the PN-20 does route, but not very well (the slow part being the map redraw)! Speaking of deeper features, I believe the PN has many as well, for those who need them!