Golf balls!

Alright - I know that many place golf balls in caches as 'trade items'. Not sure how I feel about that. But that's not my issue.

My last several caching outings have yielded a golf ball find. Consistently while hunting caches sometime on a great caching day I'll come across one. Not in a cache mind you. I've found them just lying on the ground near a park (makes sense), half buried in mud a mile from any location that could be used for golfing, wedged in the crotch of a tree or floating in a stream. Most of these finds have been along the route to or away from a cache and none of them have been close to a golf course (no closer than about a mile in one case).

So I wondered. . . am I alone? Is this maybe why there are so many golf balls in cache containers? Is the popularity of the golf ball in the cache container why I'm finding balls on the ground nearby caches (frustrated cachers tossing the golf ball out of the container).

In addition I have found 1 softball, a baseball and a very nice soccer ball all located not too far from caches.

Oh well - Just something that makes me laugh. I now consider a golf ball find good luck (as long as it's not in a cache) and always pick it up.

Edited by andynshe
<SNIP> My last several caching outings have yielded a golf ball find.

What part of the world are you in? I'm in Houston, Texas and I have a cache that is at least 8 miles from the nearest golf facility but someone left a log asking why there were all those golf balls at the cache. I thought... HUH??? By the time I got to go check on the cache, they were gone. I spoke later with the person who had seen them and he said there were about 5 of them, stacked in a little pile, right by the cache's hiding place.

I have been stumped on this one so it makes me happy to learn that the golf ball phenomenon puzzles others, too.

I'm in Kentucky so I've not been to your caches in all likelihood.

It is a strange thing.

@Nature Kids: So far 3 of the golf balls have been handy for physics projects and ended up being launched from air cannons. The students got bored with potatoes and wanted to see how a golf ball would fly. . .

It's amusing to say the least to have something out of place be so consistently present.

It is not strange at all. People practice their golf skills at places besides on the green or driving ranges. This is why you find balls all over. If there are more by a cache a previous cacher simply picked them up on the way and left them by the cache. I don't think i would calling Richard Stack just yet. :laughing:

I once found, in a cache, a golf ball in a ziploc bag.

Um, golf balls need to stay dry?

I wish my golf balls would stay dry - they always seem to find a lake if there is one! :unsure:

I have not yet seen a golf ball in a cach but would be pleased to find one.

With the few finds that I have thus far, I have found three caches with one or more Golf Balls in them...

I did think it was a bit strange as unless you are a Golfer, what interest would you have in them???

However, I didn't really care as I usually don't take anything from the caches anyway...

For me and the guys that I sometimes cache with its all about the challenge of the find...

I'm think'in order of importance its......

1. The Find!!!

2. Reading and Signing the Logs!!

3. Looking Through the Goodies in the cache to see what was actually put in there!

9 times out of 10, we take nothing...

9 times out of 10, I've been dropping in a few Foreign Coins, but now I'm wondering, do people feel the same way about these coins as some have statedabout the Golf Balls???

Would I be better of leaving Nothing, should I find something else to leave???

Even if I'm not taking anythng, I like to contribute something to help keep it going... I imagine there are many people who are just the opposite and would just take something and leave nothing...

<SNIP>9 times out of 10, I've been dropping in a few Foreign Coins, but now I'm wondering, do people feel the same way about these coins as some have statedabout the Golf Balls???

Would I be better of leaving Nothing, should I find something else to leave???

Even if I'm not taking anythng, I like to contribute something to help keep it going... I imagine there are many people who are just the opposite and would just take something and leave nothing...

I encourage you to continue with your practice. I don't think anyone has said they have anything against golf balls, just that it's a little quirky sometimes.

I was initiating a new cacher a couple of months ago. The first cache she found totally on her own had a French 2 franc coin. She kept it as her "first cache prize". I think foreign coins are a fun idea. I always leave something even if I don't take something. I hate to find a cache large enough to hold even small trinkets but find that there's nothing there but a log.

Don't get me wrong - I love the hunt. I love the logs. But I also really enjoy swag. One day I came across five caches that had these little rubber frogs in them. It was fun because I knew I was following a route that some frog-leaver had followed before me. :blink:

I always leave little silver flower charms - and if there is room in the cache I also leave larger stuff. -Carol

9 times out of 10, I've been dropping in a few Foreign Coins, but now I'm wondering, do people feel the same way about these coins as some have statedabout the Golf Balls???

Not at all.

Coins are cool!

Especially Gold Maples, Krugerrands, and the like. But all coins (except local ones) are great to find in a cache, if you ask me.

Not at all.

Coins are cool!

Especially Gold Maples, Krugerrands, and the like. But all coins (except local ones) are great to find in a cache, if you ask me.

I hear ya.. I'd crap if I ever opened up a cache that had Gold Maples, Krugerrands, G.A.E.s or anything of the sort in it.... I'd even be happy with Morgans, Pre-64 Silver, Generic 1 oz Bars and or Rounds...

Or a Nice 10oz Bar to add some weight...

The thing I hate is in the smaller cache there's a golf ball in it and nothing else so you have a hard time fitting the log in it too. So yes they go flying in the woods. People have to use their heads when they leave they signature items. In the last month beside a dozen or so golf balls, three baseballs, one softball, beach ball.

For clarification, my original intent was just the observation of the errant golf balls that I seem to encounter in odd locations while caching (near caches, on the way in).

I'm all for golf balls. Heck - I pick them up, wipe them off and pocket 'em. When I get home I give 'em a closer inspection and put them in the good bag or the shag bag for chipping around the yard.

Of course a few went flying out of potato guns in the name of science but hey - its science!

I think its great to put golf balls in caches. I always look at them to see if they have logos. I've got a few hundred logo balls from when I lived near a course and went ball shagging on Sundays (can I say that on the forum?).

Golf balls at exit ramps. . . that's interesting. I guess people get bored while driving and stop and take a few practice strokes? Love it.

Alright - I know that many place golf balls in caches as 'trade items'. Not sure how I feel about that. But that's not my issue.

My last several caching outings have yielded a golf ball find. Consistently while hunting caches sometime on a great caching day I'll come across one. Not in a cache mind you. I've found them just lying on the ground near a park (makes sense), half buried in mud a mile from any location that could be used for golfing, wedged in the crotch of a tree or floating in a stream. Most of these finds have been along the route to or away from a cache and none of them have been close to a golf course (no closer than about a mile in one case).

So I wondered. . . am I alone? Is this maybe why there are so many golf balls in cache containers? Is the popularity of the golf ball in the cache container why I'm finding balls on the ground nearby caches (frustrated cachers tossing the golf ball out of the container).

In addition I have found 1 softball, a baseball and a very nice soccer ball all located not too far from caches.

Oh well - Just something that makes me laugh. I now consider a golf ball find good luck (as long as it's not in a cache) and always pick it up.

I am fascinated by this post because I encounter the same thing. I've found just short of 3000 caches and over the years, I've collected in excess of 100 golf balls. Now, the fact that they're golf balls and the quantity in and of itself isn't that big of a deal. It's where I find them. I find golf balls (outside of caches) in the deepest parks of the woods. I've found them in forests no where near a golf course. I find them in places where you couldn't practice your swing even if you wanted to. I can't explain it.. maybe it is aliens. The cool thing is, the balls are in the process of being converted to a cache. No, no nanos hidden in a ball. Different idea that I'll divulge after FTF.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this. While out caching a week or so ago in a nature area far from any golf courses my wife and I found a golf ball, in the woods, a few hundred feet from the cache. I thought it was odd, but I figured CITO I'd take it with us. Within a hundred yards we found another. I picked it up and carried it out as well. I don't golf, so now both of those balls are in caches elsewhere. I figured someone could use them and it's putting them to better use than leaving them as litter.

I saw this thread yesterday and thought "Have I seen a golf ball near a cache? I can't remember."

Wouldn't you know it, I was out caching today and found a golf ball. Go figure. It was deep in the woods, too-- miles from the nearest golf course. Must've been a heckuva tee shot. Maybe the wind carried it.

Interestingly I haven't happend upon too many golf balls lately with the exception of this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2d-c8aeb4d5dbbd

Found several on the way in to the cache. Funny thing was they were range balls and we were no where near the range (but near a water hazard) which just goes to show that many golfers grab range balls to play on the water hazard holes. . . .

when i was a kid, we used to play gold down the local playing field and once on the mud track down to the field start to whack the golf balls down, so maybe its kids.

BTW never had to buy a golf ball, a visit to the local golf club 10 miles away and a walk around the perimeter used to yield a rucksack full of gold balls.

My understanding was that putting a golf ball in cache was the finders way of saying it was crap cache.

I was doing a cache on the beach and found 7 golf balls all in the same area . Maybe someone was practising their golf driving nearby.

Edited by Zork V

Took my son caching today, and let him choose what to trade. He wouldn't have the sleeved Mario Lemieux hockey card or any of the other interesting things to pick from. Nope. He had to have that little white ball. There's no accounting for taste, I guess, so I wont feel bad in the future about trading a golf ball out of one and into another.

:huh::blink: there used to be a cache in my area that was a coffee can with a bunch of golf balls inside the object was to sign one of the balls as the log. Also seen some that were baseballs or softballs as the log. Not the same thing but might be a use for all the extras you are finding.