Interest in a possible CITO event in Tulsa OK?

Hello! I'm Kim and I'm new to geocaching, but thought geocachers in the Tulsa area might be interested in setting up a CITO event in association with the Crow Creek Water Festival and 15th Annual Creek Cleanup.

My husband is an Environmental Monitor for the city of Tulsa and is an Earth Team Volunteer for the Tulsa County Conservation District. He got this newsletter in the mail and I immediately thought this might be something geocachers would like to be a part of.

http://tulsacountyconservationdistrict.org/tclspring09.pdf

See page 2 of the document. Here is some of the info:

We are looking for volunteers, agencies, groups, nonprofits, earth friendly vendors,

Campfire, Girl Scout and Boy Scout troops who are interested in being a

part of our first ever Crow Creek Water Festival and 15 Annual Creek Cleanup.

We will have activities for the kids, educational booths, vendor booths, a run,

and a creek cleanup on Crow Creek. If you or your group does outreach education,

activities, or would be interested in having a booth, please call 280-1595 or

email us at tulsaccd@conservation.ok.gov. We are working to secure corporate

sponsorships. Spread the word in Tulsa about your group!

What do you think? I've been to these creek cleanups before and they are really fun.

Kim

cyber-mom

Welcome cyber-mom,

This is a lovely idea, however, if you read the Cache placement guidelines, it says this about CITO events:

CITO Event Caches

The idea of Cache In Trash Out (CITO) came about late in the year 2000 as a way for geocachers to contribute to the beautification of our local parks and lands. Read more information about the CITO program.

The CITO event cache category was added to differentiate cleanup events from other types of event caches. Use this category when you are asking geocachers to show up on a particular day to pick up litter at a park, remove piles of junk near a popular waterfront, etc. Do not use this category for a physical cache that is placed in an area that is need of cleanup – just mention the CITO opportunity on your cache page.

CITO events are set up and sponsored by geocachers – not by other organizations. If you have an event you feel fits within the spirit of this unique category, yet are still unsure, please seek permission from Groundspeak before submitting.

So, in order to combine the groups, you would need to submit it to Groundspeak for approval. You can however set up a CITO for the area, perhaps choose a section of the creek just for geocachers. We would never want to discourage any CITO events, but they should fall within the guidelines in order to qualify as a Cache In, Trash Out event. I do know that if you post it, they will come. And if you do plan a CITO event be sure to post it in your regional forums, as well.

(I put the pertinent part of that guideline in bold.)