wasting great Swag cache space with Micros or small

Ok....So I first want to say I am sure I am going to be beaten with a trekking pole for even saying such a thing, but as a new geocacher I want to get others opinons.

Recently, we took a hike in a beautiful woods for a specific cache upon looking at the area, we realized that several MICRO caches were hidden in this beautiful woods (which ironically in a fairly urban city) would have been perfect for larger ammo boxes and big caches. Being the mom of boys that love to cache, becase they want to trade, maybe I am just jaded. But I get a little tired of people placing a series of caches for what seems to be the mear purpose of collecting a lot of logs in one spot. I guess I just wish if they placed those caches they would make them large enough for swag.....not micros or small. Seems like we are not keeping all types of cachers in mind.

Now don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with a series of several caches, but I just wish they wouldn't "waste" the good hiding spots for the larger caches is my point. Maybe I am way off base...just wanting some other perspective. Sorry if I offended anyone, not really my purpose! Happy Caching!

Edited by TeamFiestyMidgets

I used to think like you. As my boys have grown, we really like a good challenge. At this point we find a well hidden micro very challenging and sometimes have to come back 2 or 3 times before finding it. When they were younger they liked to trade. :P

...I just wish they wouldn't "waste" the good hiding spots for the larger caches is my point.

It obviously wasn't a 'waste' to them.

If it's so important to you and your boys to have a box to open and McCrap to find, then carry an ammo can with you and when you find a micro, pull out your box and give them a treat.

...I just wish they wouldn't "waste" the good hiding spots for the larger caches is my point.

If it's so important to you and your boys to have a box to open and McCrap to find, then carry an ammo can with you and when you find a micro, pull out your box and give them a treat.

Sounds very much like the way they train drug and bomb dogs! :P

My first reaction was to think that if you wanted a non-micro cache hidden you could have done it yourself first.

But I was also surprised, as I am whenever anyone complains of a micro not holding swag, that you knew it was a micro before you even started looking for it so I'm not sure what you expected to find. Did you bring your kids caching so that they'd be able to trade swag like you know they enjoy doing, but then took them to a series of micro caches? Or maybe you realized they wouldn't like these and didn't take them so they wouldn't be disappointed? If so, then good job, keep bringing them to regular size caches and they'll stay happier.

The person that hid the micro did so for whatever reason they had - and for you to assume that it's just to collect a lot of logs in one spot seems a little harsh. Maybe they wanted to make the hide more difficult to find, maybe they just like micro caches and hide what they like to find, etc.

Those are my opinions.

Carrying my own ammo box? Really? Not the same as finding your so delicately put "McCrap" ...again I am not trying to offend. Just pointing out that challenging micro and nano puzzles and caches can be placed ANYWHERE.....that is the point. Deep in the woods is the ONLY place you can put an ammo box of "McCrap" :P

My first reaction was to think that if you wanted a non-micro cache hidden you could have done it yourself first.

But I was also surprised, as I am whenever anyone complains of a micro not holding swag, that you knew it was a micro before you even started looking for it so I'm not sure what you expected to find. Did you bring your kids caching so that they'd be able to trade swag like you know they enjoy doing, but then took them to a series of micro caches? Or maybe you realized they wouldn't like these and didn't take them so they wouldn't be disappointed? If so, then good job, keep bringing them to regular size caches and they'll stay happier.

The person that hid the micro did so for whatever reason they had - and for you to assume that it's just to collect a lot of logs in one spot seems a little harsh. Maybe they wanted to make the hide more difficult to find, maybe they just like micro caches and hide what they like to find, etc.

Those are my opinions.

Well had they not stated that the placements of the Micro's was for that exact purpose...I wouldn't have been so harsh (again, i didn't think my remark was harsh) maybe that is why I hate forums...typing confusion (no influction in typing vs. in your verbal words) makes people not understand the point one is trying to make....Again, I LOVE CHALLENGING MICROS...So do the boys actually (which makes the McCrap comment seem funny) but......The woods in an urban place is the only place to put an ammo box. I want to get many families involved in this wonderful sport...but it is hard for families to do it if the kids aren't into it! But like anything else...some don't care about others. Only what they want and I suppose my first post came off that way also. I am not saying that micros are wasteful...just hoping people will think of everyone when placing a cache. We try too. but we are new.....so what do we know! LOL

... we realized that several MICRO caches were hidden in this beautiful woods ... would have been perfect for larger ammo boxes and big caches....

You are not alone. My rule of thumb (which others oppose) is to use the largest cache container the area can reasonably support. I mofied the rule to appease those "others" to "use the largest cache container the hide can reasonably support. That was to allow for some hides needing to be a micro to fit some theme or whatever the owners muse demands.

However for the most part just as you noticed folks can hide larger containers and still have exactly the same caching experience they intended while leaving swag for those folks who even if they don't like to trade much, do like looking. Normally it's no skin off anyones nose to do this.

Way to completely miss her point.

Carrying my own ammo box? Really? Not the same as finding your so delicately put "McCrap" ...again I am not trying to offend. Just pointing out that challenging micro and nano puzzles and caches can be placed ANYWHERE.....that is the point. Deep in the woods is the ONLY place you can put an ammo box of "McCrap" :P

I beg to differ. I know of many full size and (at least before it was archived) at least one "large" container in downtown Seattle. Any cache can be placed anywhere as long as you have the permission and imagination to do it.

And you didn't offend me, I'm just trying to point out alternatives.

... we realized that several MICRO caches were hidden in this beautiful woods ... would have been perfect for larger ammo boxes and big caches....

You are not alone. My rule of thumb (which others oppose) is to use the largest cache container the area can reasonably support. I mofied the rule to appease those "others" to "use the largest cache container the hide can reasonably support. That was to allow for some hides needing to be a micro to fit some theme or whatever the owners muse demands.

However for the most part just as you noticed folks can hide larger containers and still have exactly the same caching experience they intended while leaving swag for those folks who even if they don't like to trade much, do like looking. Normally it's no skin off anyones nose to do this.

Well, I'm another supporter of RK's position. I'd like to think most people agree, but it's been shown many don't. :P

What can you do? Micros are simply cheaper to deploy. If these caches you speak of are all listed as micros, just skip them.

Well, I'm another supporter of RK's position. I'd like to think most people agree, but it's been shown many don't. :P

What can you do? Micros are simply cheaper to deploy. If these caches you speak of are all listed as micros, just skip them.

OK...THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT...However I think MOST of you missed the point!

#1...It is not that we don't want to do Micros...

#2 ....It is not that we think Micros are a waste of time!

We wish people wouldn't put them in the limited amount of space near a city (not many woods in a city of 250,000) when the entire CITY is a Micro playground....

AMMO BOXES CAN'T GO IN PLAIN SIGHT...Micros can! That is the point. Not the validity of if micros are nessesary.

Why use up every square inch of the 528 ft rule in a wooded area placing 15 micros? That is the issue!

But I guess if everyone thinks like most in this thread....I know why...because they can

I hope I stay a conciderate geocacher and think of all those that enjoy the sport....not just myself!

Happy Caching!

I think it has been shown that you can hide a larger cache even in an urban environment, it just takes a bit of extra planning and effort. Obviously if you leave a ammo can exposed or just hidden behind a wall or in a bush, it will get found by muggles eventually and either taken or reported as suspicious. In a wooded area there is more opportunity to find a hiding spot off the trail where the chances of an accidental find go way down. However it is presumptuous to infer that these wooded spots be reserved for large caches just because you can place a micro anywhere in the city even where it may be difficult to hide a bigger cache.

Perhaps the OP is feeling a bit frustrated if when caching with younger children, they found a entire trail with micros placed every .1 miles and no larger caches. This is partly the reason for the power trail clause of the proximity guidelines. The idea is to keep some spots opened so that someone who wants to find something other than a 35mm film can could go out and hide a regular cache. I tend to doubt that every spot in the woods near the OP is taken up with micros, but I haven't the time to check the Fort Wayne area to see if this is really the case. I suspect we are seeing a bit of the microSpew phenomenon that used to apply to urban hides spilling over into the hiking and wooded area caches. There are a number of reason, including that except for geocachers with younger children who like finding treasures, most other geocachers have either stopped trading or resigned themselves to trading not be being such an important part of the game. As such, why lug a big ammo can out on the trail when you hide a small container or a micro. Clearly there is also a segment of the geocaching community who prefers to find a lot of caches at once. Power trails or series of caches in one park will lure these people out to find the caches where they might not be as willing to travel in order to find just one or two caches. The hiders know if they place 10 caches they will get more finders than if there is only one cache in the area to find. Still, it would be nice if instead of hiding 10 film cans they put a couple of regular sized caches in the mix. Finally, I know cachers that carry around small or micro sized caches to hide on the spur of the moment if they are in an area with a few "open" slots. I don't know if they feel there needs to be a cache every .1 miles or if they just think that having another cache to find is a way of giving back to the community. Since these people generally aren't carrying around ammo cans they tend to leave smaller caches.

So what can be done to increase the numbers of regular sized caches in wooded areas in light of the apparent trend to smalls and micros? Outside of setting an example by hiding more regular sized caches, I don't know. I would not want there to be guidelines to restrict the numbers of smaller caches - especially if this were to require the reviewers to make a decision about whether something was a wooded area or not. There are often spots that I find where a micro is the perfect cache to place and I wouldn't want that option taken away. On the other hand, there are times, like yesterday, when I feel like the OP, hiking along a trail where it seemed every cache was a 35mm film can or a used spice bottle. (I've also complained about a trail where every cache was an ammo can. I happen to like variety.)

I feel your pain.

I've spoken with gobs of folks who hide itty bitty caches in rural environments.

The general consensus from them, is that they do it as a cost & energy saving measure.

They are feeling the need to add something to their hide count, and they are too cheap & lazy to put forth the effort required to hide and maintain a full size cache.

There are a few exceptions to this, however the key word is "few".

I am also a follower of the suggested RK hide method, utilizing the largest cache an area can reasonably support.

If I feel the need to hide a "challenging" micro, I'll stick to suburbia.

Why use up every square inch of the 528 ft rule in a wooded area placing 15 micros?

Why? Because its easy. No shelling out 3-6 bucks for a container. No buying a logbook and a few pencils. No selecting swag to stock it. No taking the time to find a good place to conceal a larger container. Why would anybody bother with a regular sized cache anymore?

I am glad to know that geocachers are so sympathetic and want to keep new cachers excited. Luckily...other than one person that places micros all over town , Fort wayne is a great place to cache...we have wonderful puzzles...multi-caches and fantastic people...but this insurgency to place over 150 caches by one person is slightly taxing when all you want to do is place family friendly caches and struggle to do so.

I am willing to buy them...fill them....and maintain them. (sorry some feel it is a waste of money) then don't do them. All I am suggesting is Just be respectful of those that do want to spend the money and place them for families and children.

Don't get me wrong...we have regular cache sizes, thanks to very smart cachers in our area like Genoist, Mr. Incredible and so on, but when you really break it down....if you keep adding caches at a .1 mile radius, eventually it will be nearly impossible for new cachers to find great places to hide caches. Especially if we are putting a series of 10 Micro- caches in one park alone!

So I guess so sad we joined the activity late....our bad!

+

And to the guy that said....guess you got to walk in the woods....we have been doing that for years...How do you think we found geocaching.

Also, as a community. I think it is sad that so many people were so ticked off by my absolute wonderment at why this is done....not very many of you offered suggestions or advice. To those that did, thank you. Most jumped down my throat. I hope I will be more of a positive and respectful member of these forums

I am on your side Fiesty Midgets! :laughing:

I personally think that hiding a micro in a forest is like Flying a Colorful Kite........AT NIGHT!

I have grandkids! We don't get out often, just 31 finds since we started.....but those kids get TOTALLY excited about finding an Ammo Can full of tradeables! :D

My grandkids can spot a Big Pile Of Sticks from a hundred yards or more! Maybe. Well, almost. Not really! :D

I am on your side Fiesty Midgets! :laughing:

I personally think that hiding a micro in a forest is like Flying a Colorful Kite........AT NIGHT!

I have grandkids! We don't get out often, just 31 finds since we started.....but those kids get TOTALLY excited about finding an Ammo Can full of tradeables! :D

My grandkids can spot a Big Pile Of Sticks from a hundred yards or more! Maybe. Well, almost. Not really! :D

More ammocans please.

Thank you.

Ok....So I first want to say I am sure I am going to be beaten with a trekking pole for even saying such a thing, but as a new geocacher I want to get others opinons.

Recently, we took a hike in a beautiful woods for a specific cache upon looking at the area, we realized that several MICRO caches were hidden in this beautiful woods (which ironically in a fairly urban city) would have been perfect for larger ammo boxes and big caches. Being the mom of boys that love to cache, becase they want to trade, maybe I am just jaded. But I get a little tired of people placing a series of caches for what seems to be the mear purpose of collecting a lot of logs in one spot. I guess I just wish if they placed those caches they would make them large enough for swag.....not micros or small. Seems like we are not keeping all types of cachers in mind.

Now don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with a series of several caches, but I just wish they wouldn't "waste" the good hiding spots for the larger caches is my point. Maybe I am way off base...just wanting some other perspective. Sorry if I offended anyone, not really my purpose! Happy Caching!

I have many differenf items that I can fit into most Micro caches, and leave things in them all the time even though there's nothing to take in return. If you are able to find some interesting small trinkets that you all can enjoy dropping for other people, then maybe those who find then will also get some ideas of things to leave. The only thing wrong with Micros is that hardly anyone leaves things in them. You can help change that.

I have many differenf items that I can fit into most Micro caches, and leave things in them all the time even though there's nothing to take in return. If you are able to find some interesting small trinkets that you all can enjoy dropping for other people, then maybe those who find then will also get some ideas of things to leave. The only thing wrong with Micros is that hardly anyone leaves things in them. You can help change that.

Necessity being the mother of micro swag.

@TFM: I'm in agreement. I enjoy getting out hiking and trying to have a good time Geocaching. My wife and I still like to trade (although we don't do so at every cache). I limit our hunts to small-large cache sizes and often walk right by micros when we are together. I'll pickup a micro here and there but just don't enjoy them too much so mostly I avoid.

I'm hoping to get my first hides out there soon. I'm mapping some locations right now and want to have about 4 or 5 small and regular sized caches placed.

After reading this thread I do plan on trying to make sure there is sufficient space left for other cachers to make hides between/around mine so others can contribute to the area (currently cache starved). Then if nobody jumps in I may add more later.

BTW: I kinda like McCrap...

AMMO BOXES CAN'T GO IN PLAIN SIGHT

To address this theory, I humbly submit my "Just Freekin' Grate" cache, a bright pink ammo box hidden 15' from a major roadway, with nary a shrub in sight.

What you see at ground zero:

>[img]

Getting closer:

>[img]

I see you are in Florida. Has anyone run into a gator in there? Just wondering.

Wow.....sensitive people around here.

I agree with the OP. Hiding micros in the woods shows no imagination. I'd rather you save the micros for INGENIOUS placements in the cities where hundreds of people walk by them and never even know it. To me that's more exciting than finding a "geostack" of logs in the woods with an ammo can underneath.

FWIW, one of the first caches I found was a micro (film can) in the woods. I still think it's one of the best caches I've found. It's all about the location, and no, a larger cache would not work in that location.

I'm not saying that all micros in the woods are great, but they aren't all horrible either.

I see you are in Florida. Has anyone run into a gator in there? Just wondering.

I had to use my pokey stick to move a water moccasin out of my way when I hid it, but so far, no gators. :laughing:

Darn! I was hoping you could set me up with a new pair of boots.

AMMO BOXES CAN'T GO IN PLAIN SIGHT

To address this theory, I humbly submit my "Just Freekin' Grate" cache, a bright pink ammo box hidden 15' from a major roadway, with nary a shrub in sight.

What you see at ground zero:

fc87f5d5-b891-4d6b-bfdd-f3f579f38fda.jpg

The cache is down yonder:

4cbc6a5f-a8af-4bcc-b22d-0711d2b0655a.jpg

Getting closer:

2bfea32f-10b1-4231-ac3b-8f7d4127caf8.jpg

The can, prior to being hidden:

778dcda9-746f-4cfc-99c1-87e14cd9ffae.jpg

Hooooold on and wait a minute. You have to walk in the watery tunnel to get that ammo can? Awesome color by the way. And the chained part, can you see it at ground level? Just curious. Freakin funny that it's pink! :laughing::D

I'm with ya' TeamFiestyMidgets! SOOO sick of all the micros. And micros in the woods? Wish there was a rule against it. UNLESS THEY'RE INTERESTING. But So FL is FRAUGHT with hide-a-keys stuck to guard rails and I'll bet you a dollar there is a film can stuck under a lamp post every 528 feet here. Maybe even 527 feet. So extremely boring. But it must fill a need for the geocacher who wants to drive right up to it, hop out of the car, and hop back in the car, and drive to the next micro stuck to a stop sign. Yawn.

** Power to em I suppose. They like what they like and I like what I like.**

As for the person who suggested "well then YOU go hide something good". I am. And I have. Only one so far, but a few more in the works. But you know what? I can't go find my own caches so I'm still stuck with only the crummy micros. Don't tell me to filter those out, have you ever been to So Florida?! I would only have about 3 on my find list if I filtered them out. We literally have film cans thrown into bushes, hides at every Walgreens/Home Depot/CVS/Wal-Mart, hides at Burger Kings, and oodles of hides on guard rails. Tell me there was thought put into those.

And as for it costing too much, then don't hide the stupid thing! Save your money and don't buy 25 hide-a-keys. Buy a few ammo cans and paint 'em pink! (Still love that one, but I ain't gonna go where an alley-gator could nibble my toes. I'm in FL too!!)

Moral of the story: We all like different things, but the size of the container should fit the area - that's my humble opinion.

As for the person who suggested "well then YOU go hide something good". I am. And I have. Only one so far, but a few more in the works. But you know what? I can't go find my own caches so I'm still stuck with only the crummy micros.

As strange as it sounds, "Go Hide Regular Caches" is sound advice for your situation.

By creating several ammo can hides, in beautiful locations, you will inspire others to break away from the P&G mentality.

Once they make the leap from lameness, you'll have some more hides that fit your tastes.

It works! :laughing:

I first encountered this in CA last year. Hiding micros in locations that could clearly hold a larger container. I had brought travel bugs from MA with me and had the hardest time finding caches large enough to hold them.

Lately, the trend has been moving into MA. Several cachers I'm friends with have mentioned it too. It seems to be newer cachers that are doing it.

Micros have their place, but larger containers hidden well can be really fun to look for. It takes imagination to hide large containers. No imagination to hide a micro usually.

I first encountered this in CA last year. Hiding micros in locations that could clearly hold a larger container. I had brought travel bugs from MA with me and had the hardest time finding caches large enough to hold them.

Lately, the trend has been moving into MA. Several cachers I'm friends with have mentioned it too. It seems to be newer cachers that are doing it.

Micros have their place, but larger containers hidden well can be really fun to look for. It takes imagination to hide large containers. No imagination to hide a micro usually.

It does seem a bit extreme to hide only micros in a nice wooded area. Personally I've got 12 hides and have covered all the bases. Nano's, micro's, smalls, mediums and larges in a variety of areas and abilities, from urban park and caches accessible to strollers and wheelchairs to 2 hour hikes up steep terrain in the woods. A good variety is always preferred. You don't want to get a reputation as a town of micro's. But a challenging nano in the woods can be a brain buster that makes you go arrrrgggggghhhhhh. It's no fun if you always find em, it's what makes finding em exciting. There's a micro close to work I've visited on break 4 times now without making the find. I hate micro's in rocks, but it just wouldn't be the same without em.

It does seem a bit extreme to hide only micros in a nice wooded area. Personally I've got 12 hides and have covered all the bases. Nano's, micro's, smalls, mediums and larges in a variety of areas and abilities, from urban park and caches accessible to strollers and wheelchairs to 2 hour hikes up steep terrain in the woods. A good variety is always preferred. You don't want to get a reputation as a town of micro's. But a challenging nano in the woods can be a brain buster that makes you go arrrrgggggghhhhhh. It's no fun if you always find em, it's what makes finding em exciting. There's a micro close to work I've visited on break 4 times now without making the find. I hate micro's in rocks, but it just wouldn't be the same without em.

One persons brain buster is another's needle in a haystack. Takes no thought to make a difficult hide out of a nano in the woods. When you hide that micro or nano in the woods do you keep an eye on the impact on the location?

I remember when I was on vacation in NYC, blindly caching with waypoints in the GPS, and no information on any caches. On Staten Island, I found a film canister where an ammo box could have been hidden. Turns out it was a "vacation cache" thrown down by a European.

Yes, I agree it often seems "new cachers" tend to do this. Like I said before, what can you do? Film cans are free. Keyholders and matchbox containers are a buck. Thank goodness Nano's cost a few dollars though. :laughing:

Wow.....sensitive people around here.

I agree with the OP. Hiding micros in the woods shows no imagination. I'd rather you save the micros for INGENIOUS placements in the cities where hundreds of people walk by them and never even know it. To me that's more exciting than finding a "geostack" of logs in the woods with an ammo can underneath.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Obviously you did say it better...haha! My husband and I love to find those micros in town, we love going to the historical spot and teaching the boys.....but.......If we have to hike for 3 miles for a micro...sure, a ten and eight year old boy wants some "McCrap". And even though hiding a ammo box is possible in town. It is not as easy for the kids. I love Cliff's pictures, but would NEVER let my 2 boys go down there to look for it!

Hid 2 micro caches in the woods just last week.

We put in a old coin for the FTF and they seem to really appreciate it.

No shame here. :laughing:

No shame needed....the point is to be conciderate of others...You were! You didn't take up the entire wooded area with those two...

I am talking about a series of 10 caches in a decent size hiking area that used up all the prime spots for ammo boxes. I always believe in balance. I wouldn't go in the woods and put 10 ammo boxes all over the place!

Leave room for others!

If we have to hike for 3 miles for a micro...sure, a ten and eight year old boy wants some "McCrap".
Again, you know it's a micro before you even leave the house, why are you disappointed to find a micro when you get to the end of the hike?

It's interesting that the people that agree with you are nice, and the people that disagree with you are "jumping down your throat".

It's also interesting that if someone hides a cache that you like it's okay, but if they hide a cache you don't then they are inconsiderate and "only thinking about themselves".

:laughing:

....You are not alone. My rule of thumb (which others oppose) is to use the largest cache container the area can reasonably support. I mofied the rule to appease those "others" to "use the largest cache container the hide can reasonably support. That was to allow for some hides needing to be a micro to fit some theme or whatever the owners muse demands.......

I have always felt this same way and am not ashamed of it. I've seen film can caches placed in spots that could easily hide a 55 gallon drum. What a waste.

....You are not alone. My rule of thumb (which others oppose) is to use the largest cache container the area can reasonably support. I mofied the rule to appease those "others" to "use the largest cache container the hide can reasonably support. That was to allow for some hides needing to be a micro to fit some theme or whatever the owners muse demands.......
I have always felt this same way and am not ashamed of it. I've seen film can caches placed in spots that could easily hide a 55 gallon drum. What a waste.
I've seen difficult puzzle caches hidden where a traditional cache could have been hidden. What a waste.
If we have to hike for 3 miles for a micro...sure, a ten and eight year old boy wants some "McCrap".
Again, you know it's a micro before you even leave the house, why are you disappointed to find a micro when you get to the end of the hike?

It's interesting that the people that agree with you are nice, and the people that disagree with you are "jumping down your throat".

It's also interesting that if someone hides a cache that you like it's okay, but if they hide a cache you don't then they are inconsiderate and "only thinking about themselves".

:laughing:

[/quote

Here is an idea brainiac....understand the point of the thread before dolling out idle advice. Nobody is saying we are dissappointed when we "find out it's a micro" ....THE POINT OF THE THREAD is placing 10 micros in the same woods to use up all the space that seems more appropriate for a mix of caches....micros some ammo boxes....small ones...very large ones.....not 10 micros in one woods.

Thanks for your very great opinions, just wish they were on subject.

Here is an idea brainiac....understand the point of the thread before dolling out idle advice. Nobody is saying we are dissappointed when we "find out it's a micro" ....
Nobody except you. Wasn't it you that said, "My husband and I love to find those micros in town, we love going to the historical spot and teaching the boys.....but.......If we have to hike for 3 miles for a micro." So I was asking you why you'd go on a 3 mile hike for a micro in the woods if you didn't enjoy the micro in the woods. I guess I was "jumping down your throat" (unlike your reply to me right?).

THE POINT OF THE THREAD is placing 10 micros in the same woods to use up all the space that seems more appropriate for a mix of caches....micros some ammo boxes....small ones...very large ones.....not 10 micros in one woods.
And the point of most of the replies that you've disagreed with is that if you're disappointed in some of the caches that are hidden you can either blame yourself for not hiding bigger caches first, or get over it and only search for the caches that are bigger.

You know that if you filter out micros from your PQ you'll completely avoid the micro saturation you're upset about. You'll get to go on hikes and search in parks and only find big containers. And then when you and your husband decide that you want to grab a few micros that you love then you can load the PQ that includes them.

It's almost as easy to avoid the over saturation of micros as it is to complain about it.

Thanks for your very great opinions, just wish they were on subject.
Not a problem. I'm sorry that you felt it was off topic, apparently only because you disagreed with me. But that's okay. Have a great day. Edited by Mushtang

I agree with the op that there are too many micro's some areas.

My personal goal is to hide and equal amount of trading caches as I have micros. I also do not hide Micro caches that are normal micro hides. I try to disguise the micro cache as something so that it is more interesting to find.

I have a couple of hides that I get complimented on quite regularly either for the container or the creativity in hiding bigger caches in town.

It is possible to hide large caches in town. You can also make them difficult to spot and make the hunt very fun.