State Parks That Allow Geocaching

Marko Ramius

Ouch. Ohio state park just launched about 40 new caches on this past Saturday. They have two challenges. If you can complete the one and be one of the first 100 you get a free geocoin. The other challenge enters you for drawings at their event they hold at the end of summer. This is just for NE Ohio.

They have done a challenge for at least the last two years.

Plus they have a lot of other caches in their many state parks. They are awesome.

The policy is a start, of course now that geocaching is offical, the governor plans to close almost all of the parks at the end of the summer.

I recently visited Mt. Diablo and read in their newsletter that they will be refining their individual guidelines, but for now the state ones will be followed. One interesting twist is the expectation that caches will be removed after a reasonable period of time.

I received a very nice call today from Nedra Martinez, Sector Superintendent out at Cuyamaca Rancho SP/Palomar Mountain SP. I was relieved to learn my two caches are in compliance with the guidelines! We talked for quite awhile; she's a very nice lady. She told me she'd be sending me an email, and she did! This is what it said:

Hi Barrie,

It was very nice to talk to you today. Attached is the new geocaching guidelines that State Parks has just released. We will need to follow that in placing caches here at Cuyamaca and Palomar.

Some of the caches that others have placed will need to be relocated out of the wilderness and out of our cultural preservers. We will still allow them at both parks, it will just be a little more limited as to where you can put them.

Please feel free to place the attached on your server and let cachers out there know about the new guidelines.

Thanks

Nedra Martinez, Superintendent II

California State Parks

Colorado Desert District

Montane Sector - Cuyamaca Rancho SP/Palomar Mountain SP

760-765-3019

760-765-3021 - fax

nmart@parks.ca.gov

I think I saw the same link posted on another thread by Flagman, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it here as well: Geocaching in State Parks

She also mentioned a map of the park that shows where the wilderness areas and cultural preserves are located ... I've searched briefly for it online, and haven't yet found it. When I do, I'll post it here as well ... unless one of you beats me to it! Aha! I've thrown out a challenge! Yeah ... consider it kinda like a geocache, if you will. I'll even give FTF Conga Rats right here. Mhmm. OH MY, look at the time!

Runs off toward her yellow limo ...

boysnbarrie

I have been wondering what they will do with existing caches. The letter at least expresses their position. Almost every existing cache in the state parks near where I live is in violation of the three foot rule. In a more cynical moment, I might comment about how we should remove those caches before they close the parks, but I guess I just did that.

She also mentioned a map of the park that shows where the wilderness areas and cultural preserves are located ... I've searched briefly for it online, and haven't yet found it. When I do, I'll post it here as well ... unless one of you beats me to it! Aha! I've thrown out a challenge! Yeah ... consider it kinda like a geocache, if you will. I'll even give FTF Conga Rats right here.

They don't have a map up yet, because they're in the process of redesigning their website, but there's a fairly good chance it will be at http://cuyamaca.us/wp/maps/ when they finish their redesign work.