live.geocaching.com

I remember the trial but not looked into it again. A group of German geocaches went off on a 24 hour caching trip and you could follow their progress 'live' on the map. They were uploading photos as they went. It is rather a neat idea but I think you need a clever mobile phone and that let's me out of the equation!

Login with your user account and have a root round the site.

Chris (MrB)

Just had a look at it and loaded the Windows Mobile version onto my HTC TyTnII. Worked ok and obtained info for my 5 nearest caches based on my GPS position :P

It seemed to not be able to access my GPS reciever until I ran memory-map in the background.

Seems a really nice application to have handy if you get a few minutes spare to go caching and don't want the hassle of trying to get data off the full website via a mobile phone - I like it! :D

So what will the new term be instead of PAF then? MAS? (Message A Stranger) :D

Needs a bit of refining, but I like the way you can download the maps onto your PDA to save bandwidth. Very poor maps though. My village isn't even on there and half the roads round here are missing even at the most detailed level.

Now, if I just got a 3G signal in more than 25% of the places I cache... :P

I just tried it with Tytn II and I can't get it to download any caches :ph34r: Also it keeps mentioning about upgrading to premium....is that a different premium membership to the Geocaching.com premium membership? I am a premium member for that so it confused me :o Looks a good idea though

I just tried it with Tytn II and I can't get it to download any caches :blink: Also it keeps mentioning about upgrading to premium....is that a different premium membership to the Geocaching.com premium membership? I am a premium member for that so it confused me :P Looks a good idea though

My experience exactly - it returned a big fat nothing, in the middle of central London where there's caches everywhere. I'd like it to work though, as it's the sort of thing I've wanted for ages. Any hints/tips? I tried running it with Memory Map in the background as has been suggested elsewhere, but still nothing.

Lee

I just tried it with Tytn II and I can't get it to download any caches :blink: Also it keeps mentioning about upgrading to premium....is that a different premium membership to the Geocaching.com premium membership? I am a premium member for that so it confused me :P Looks a good idea though

My experience exactly - it returned a big fat nothing, in the middle of central London where there's caches everywhere. I'd like it to work though, as it's the sort of thing I've wanted for ages. Any hints/tips? I tried running it with Memory Map in the background as has been suggested elsewhere, but still nothing.

Lee

I got mine to work eventually, although it still complained about incorrect password. It only let me download 5 at a time, as i wasn't a premium member. it offered me a 10 day trial but since im a premium member on geocaching i didn't want to accept 10 days since there's nowhere mentioning a separate premium member scheme. I normally use google maps to get the gps signal and keep that running, although it got the signal on it's own this time.

Lee

I got mine to work eventually, although it still complained about incorrect password. It only let me download 5 at a time, as i wasn't a premium member. it offered me a 10 day trial but since im a premium member on geocaching i didn't want to accept 10 days since there's nowhere mentioning a separate premium member scheme. I normally use google maps to get the gps signal and keep that running, although it got the signal on it's own this time.

I've got it loaded on my Nokia E71, it finds local caches OK but I can't get any maps to appear.

Have to stick with Geocache navigator for now (which isn't a hardship, great app)

Has anyone else had this problem and, more importantly, solved it!

Erm.... I thought live.geocaching.com was only for Germany at the moment which might explain the lack of functionality in the uk

I signed up a few weeks ago but was a bit surprised/disappointed that the iPhone 3G isn't supported so didn't progress any further

Mark

The beta started in Germany but now is a European beta- including the UK. I had some problems to start with but now after a few days it seems to be ok. I've read on either this forum or another, i forget which that the account has to be activated which should happen automatically the first time you sign into live, for whatever reasons this wasn't happening and could be an explanation for the problems i had. It seems to now work fine though, quite useful. I haven't used it to track down any caches yet, just loaded them into it using the cache->download function. There you can choose either 5, 25 or 50 caches and it downloads all their locations and some basic info, after that selecting the cache allows you to download the description, hint etc.. When the download function wasn't working for me i tried loading a gpx pocket query into it (rename to poi.gpx and place in the relevant folder) This ended up putting all caches around llandudno in a line one above another about 50 miles off the coast from Hull! Not sure why, perhaps this function hasn't been adapted for UK long/lats. (since the coords were -3 etc)

Anyway it seems quite a cool idea especially with seeing other cachers on-line, if anyone is using this on a regular basis let me know and we can see what the program can really do :D

I just tried it with Tytn II and I can't get it to download any caches :D Also it keeps mentioning about upgrading to premium....is that a different premium membership to the Geocaching.com premium membership? I am a premium member for that so it confused me :) Looks a good idea though

Lee

You did load the Windows Mobile version (not Java) right?

I've had no problem at all on a TyTN II. I don't need to run MM.

I tried this live.geocaching.com thingy on me brand new jazzy phone over the weekend. The Nokia 5800, so using the java gubbins, worked faultlessly. I could see my trail over the Nantlle Ridge in Snowdonia as I cached and the surreal thing is, so could have, potentially, 650 million people in Europe! :P Theoretical I know (the servers would have keeled over well before then) but I liked the thought.

I met the people behind live.geocaching.com over the weekend. They're from Finland (the first public beta was in Germany because the Finns were on a cache tour there). It's a cool application, kind of a cross between Flickr, Twitter, and Google Latitude. :P

The coolest stuff will come when someone works out a killer non-geocaching application for it. Although part of the software turns your phone into a Geocaching GPS (like Groundspeak's app does for the iPhone), you don't have to go caching with it.

I could recommend you to take a look at GCLive google group at:Discuss bugs, ideas,

translations etc. here.

This is the place where all the bugs and other things about program has been asked to discuss.

And here you can also ask anything about program and get an answer from someone currently using program or directly from development team.

TeemuH

GCLive user from 1. beta

Put installed this on my TyTn II - it seems to work although I haven't tried to download any caches yet.

I have had success with getting maps offlinefrom my desktop PC and then copying them onto my Storage Card.

Couldn't get a copy of the .exe into Programs on the PDA at first - had to do a shortcut method from the PC - a bit longwinded. There must be a better method.

Like others in this forum, I don't know what the Premium member bit is - there is no info about this??

I've managed to set my Home Location and add some POI's so that I can jump to the copied offline maps without "being there" - the GPS is switched off and in any case would only show my current home location if on.

Live trials in the field will commence in the field this weekend!

Have signed up to the GC Live forum as mentioned above.