Groundspeak Open Code

SecretSquirrel-BJC

Where can I find out more about Groundspeak open code as referenced below?

In Whack-a-lackey LUA, I saw the following

-- Another thing from Groundspeak open code

-- "hook" the OnStart event

for _,v in pairs(_G) do

if Wherigo.ZCartridge:made(v) then

end

end

for _,v in ipairs(zcart:GetAllOfType('ZCharacter')) do

Besides accidentally stumbling across various methods(? is that the correct word) such as "made" and "GetAllOfType" when they are used in creative commons source code, or stumbling around on the forums, is there some documentation that is available that is fairly comprehensive. I haven't seen these documented at wherigobuilder.wikispaces.com either

Thanks

That's the way I discovered this stuff, too: I looked through the open source Groundspeak code, specifically the demo cartridge. When the demo cart was released, Groundspeak didn't want to show anyone the code because it was messy and a lot of custom work had to be done to make it work anywhere (meaning they didn't want to cow would-be cartridge authors with their customized code). I came across the source code in some post on the forum.

I feel just about the only way we'll have complete documentation is when the community gets its hands on the Player's code. We'll make sure to take good notes.

As for "method" versus "function", I tend to use the two interchangeably. I do try to stick with "function" in this forum due to the "Author Functions" section. That way it won't confuse the non-programmers as much.

By the way, I don't quite know what made does. I can guess pretty accurately, though, it asks the cartridge if the object has been created. I would further venture to guess that, if the object hasn't been created, the cartridge may just create (instantiate) it within the same function call. It's these small things that the Player source could would be useful to confirm.

You're welcome. I'm always glad to see comments about Whack-A-Lackey and it has been an honor to have a cartridge so well-studied more than a year after its initial release.

When I get more time (I'm way behind on my geocache logs), I may look into creating something opposite Whack-A-Lackey. Remember Pac-Man? What about having to avoid ghosts on a field while looking for power pellets to increase your score? For kicks and giggles, I may make it where you're avoiding zombies in search of treasure or something. That's one idea I have, at least. It's the problem of balancing my excessive geocaching travels and Wherigo at the moment.

If you have an idea you'd like to see as a Wherigo game cartridge, let me know. If it sounds interesting enough, I may take you up on it. I'm still pondering an idea I received at GeoWoodstock VII--a cartridge to help people create cartridges in the field. I think that'll have to be an iPhone app or something. I don't have a Mac, so I won't look into this at the moment.

You're welcome. I'm always glad to see comments about Whack-A-Lackey and it has been an honor to have a cartridge so well-studied more than a year after its initial release.

When I get more time (I'm way behind on my geocache logs), I may look into creating something opposite Whack-A-Lackey. Remember Pac-Man? What about having to avoid ghosts on a field while looking for power pellets to increase your score? For kicks and giggles, I may make it where you're avoiding zombies in search of treasure or something. That's one idea I have, at least. It's the problem of balancing my excessive geocaching travels and Wherigo at the moment.

If you have an idea you'd like to see as a Wherigo game cartridge, let me know. If it sounds interesting enough, I may take you up on it. [b[i'm still pondering an idea I received at GeoWoodstock VII--a cartridge to help people create cartridges in the field.[/b] I think that'll have to be an iPhone app or something. I don't have a Mac, so I won't look into this at the moment.

:o

I look forward to any solution that makes it easy to generate a simple cartridge without too much effort. You know, touch/click here to add this location. Prompt for zone size/shape. Prompt for initial setup, like what items / characters are here. Prompt for "Ready to go to the next location?" :ph34r: You get the idea.