Annoying cheaters hit my area..and Texas& Arizona in one day.

There is a local cacher that is faking logs, leaving things like "ggggggg" and "fffffff" as logs.

They hit mine and Two of my friends caches here in town and some caches in Texas and Arizona on the same day.

We physically checked our caches and they didn't sign the logs.

Is there a Hotline to tell on these people? can we get them stopped?

This is them.

Max&MaryAnn

Edited by Cruiserdude

It's kinda sad they think that is a fun or worthwhile thing to do.

I think if it were me I would just delete the finds off my cache and in the note let them know that you have to sign the log to get the find. They are new and maybe they just don't get it (or they do get it and are just really bad at cheating :( ) . Other than that, I'd let it go, they will get called out eventually.

As far as reporting them, I think the only way to do it would be contact Groundspeak or your local reviewer.

After having a quick browse throught their logs it looks like they started off OK at the beginning of April, but somewhere early this month the May Madness caught up with them and it's been all downhill since...

Geocaching affects different people in different ways, I guess :ph34r:

I think there's little point in reporting them to anybody - They're not doing any physical harm to any caches - and it's up to the individual cache owners to delete any logs that they believe to be false or inappropriate.

It's all a bit sad... hopefully they'll get over it soon. :(

MrsB

Actually I think the folks up in Susanvile, CA have a bigger complaint that the folks in Texas or Arizona. But if you don't think they logged your cache delete the logs and move on. If they didn't do the cache they probably won't object.

Jim

I love this "found it" log they posted. :ph34r:

April 25 by Max&MaryAnn (109 found)

"i found the place where it should of been,we checked both direction from it,,but didn't find it...they were building all around it an d it could of fallen in the water or under the,my gps tells me when i'm within zero.." :(

Edited by Kit Fox

I saw the log of a cacher that travels around and has over 10k finds (I think it is 15k though). They wrote found the spot where it probably should have been empty. Left angel cache. Then they logged a find. :P:D

That's called a "DNF", huh? :rolleyes: That's crazy that someone left another cache! The most I've ever done is replace a log or put a cache back together. If I can't find it, I log a DNF.

I saw the log of a cacher that travels around and has over 10k finds (I think it is 15k though). They wrote found the spot where it probably should have been empty. Left angel cache. Then they logged a find. :P:D

Oh, but that's ok because they used the word "angel" in their log. Had they said "cheap throw down film can junk" then you would have to delete the log.

In giving the matter some thought, I feel I might be wronging Max and Mary Ann. It's quite possible that they are innocent victims of that phenomenon known as "cat sleeping on computer keyboard".

But then again:

my gps tells me when i'm within zero

This rather nullifies the cat angle. My cat never listens to me; it's certainly not going to listen to my gps.

On a side note, I wonder what it feels like to be within zero? Pretty groovy, I bet.

Perhaps they are trying to tell us something... perhaps if you put all the letters that they log together it will form a message :P

Edit: But seriously, I wonder if their account got phished... does that happen on gc.com?

Or they could have a small child that knows just enough about using the computer that they can log a found it and press some keys...

But wow. Weird.

-Rozie

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Makes me wonder if perhaps they have an automatic login set up for their account, and unknown to them someone is being a bit naughty. Perhaps a message asking if they did actually post these logs is in order?

I did Email them, so did my friend, several times, they never reply.

I do notice that a lot of these logs were from the 24th, and the site says their last login was the 20th... dunno if that means anything.

-Rozie

That is odd. How could that happen? You have to log in to log, don't you?

No. I stay logged in.

Perhaps they are trying to tell us something... perhaps if you put all the letters that they log together it will form a message :P

Edit: But seriously, I wonder if their account got phished... does that happen on gc.com?

Or they could have a small child that knows just enough about using the computer that they can log a found it and press some keys...

But wow. Weird.

-Rozie

Perhaps it's part of an elaborate puzzle cache that will be published soon.

The word in this case would be compromised rather thatn "phished". About 25 years ago while working as a sysadmin at Hewlet Packard I got a complaint from a user that his account had been used to post controversial opinions on an internal online forum on usenet. After a bit of detective work I was able to determine that another specific desktop workstation was used to connect to his machine, log into his account and post those messages. What I could not prove was that the person that sits it the office of that second workstation was actually operating the keyboard at the time, thus no action was taken.

I saw the log of a cacher that travels around and has over 10k finds (I think it is 15k though). They wrote found the spot where it probably should have been empty. Left angel cache. Then they logged a find. :D:rolleyes:

Oh, but that's ok because they used the word "angel" in their log. Had they said "cheap throw down film can junk" then you would have to delete the log.

Now that's a new one, "angel cache". One person's angel cache is another person's throw-down film can junk. :P

Oh, and the original cache is probably still there.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
It looks like May 13 is pretty much when the acid kicked in, although their April logs show ominous signs of their crumbling grip on reality.

This appears to be their final gasp of coherency:

May 13 by Max&MaryAnn (109 found)

right on

That pretty much sums it up, I think.

LOL real hard! that was a great comment atmospherium!

After having a quick browse throught their logs it looks like they started off OK at the beginning of April, but somewhere early this month the May Madness caught up with them and it's been all downhill since...

MrsB

I think that is the same couple that bought the used Aero-Cline EZZZY Bouy Rocker from me about that time! :P

It was LOADED! Dual controls, automatic bushwhacker sensors, Big Pile Of Sticks audio alert.......like I say....it was the deluxe model! Used, but very functional!

Why, I could tell you of some of my armchair adventures in that chair that would cause hyperventilation in a novice! One time, when I first got the chair...........but, oh well. Some other time! :D:):rolleyes:

I guess the thing that confuses me about this armchair driver is why while cleaning out Susanville would they boop down to Texas and Arizona for one or two? really weird. When driving the chair around Louisiana and Hawaii they at least stayed in one area.

Jim

MrsB

I think that is the same couple that bought the used Aero-Cline EZZZY Bouy Rocker from me about that time! :D

It was LOADED! Dual controls, automatic bushwhacker sensors, Big Pile Of Sticks audio alert.......like I say....it was the deluxe model! Used, but very functional!

Why, I could tell you of some of my armchair adventures in that chair that would cause hyperventilation in a novice! One time, when I first got the chair...........but, oh well. Some other time! :rolleyes::D:)

:P

I must say I'm not familiar with the Aero-Cline EZZZY Bouy Rocker but it sounds very impressive. I imagine it's a far superior model to the chair that Frazier's dad used to have? I don't think he had all those 'extras'. I assume the audio alert comes in a choice of voices, similar to the Tom Tom satnav in our car? Or does it use simple combinations of frog croaks for diffent cache types?

MrsB

While I admit that their logging behavior (especially the logs themselves) is very, very wierd, I'd stop short of assuming that their logging is totally bogus.

Check out this Travel Bug that they picked up in Hawaii, moved to Louisiana, where it has since been picked up by another cacher: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2001316

Some people do have private pilots licenses and really can hit several disconnected states in a day without problem.

Edit to add that I hadn't read the most recent TB log carefully enough to notice this part:

We found this in Swamp Thing 2 near Fort Morgan, AL on our last cache of the day.

Edited by knowschad

I do notice that a lot of these logs were from the 24th, and the site says their last login was the 20th... dunno if that means anything.

-Rozie

That is odd. How could that happen? You have to log in to log, don't you?

It has been shown to be a bug within the last few months that if people log in using the username and password boxes on the main page of geocaching.com (in the upper right hand corner), their last log in date will not be updated. Logging in from anywhere else on the website works fine.

So can we have dozens of archived virtual caches in Ontario unarchived now? :laughing:

There is a local cacher that is faking logs, leaving things like "ggggggg" and "fffffff" as logs.

They hit mine and Two of my friends caches here in town and some caches in Texas and Arizona on the same day.

We physically checked our caches and they didn't sign the logs.

Is there a Hotline to tell on these people? can we get them stopped?

This is them.

Max&MaryAnn

This is a very odd occurrence. :D Personally I've never seen someone really go "geocaching crazy", but maybe this is the first noticed case of it?

I'm guessing you checked to make sure they didn't sign the logbook. Another thought is maybe during a late night working on a puzzle cache they spilled some energy drink into there keyboard and the only key's working are "g", "j" and enter. :D

I do have a cache called geocacher's anonymous. This kind of behavior might have to go on that list.

Maybe the chubb chubb's got to them during some late night searching, and they have just lost it, and in their PTS, this is all they are able to do since they are living in fear. :laughing:

Audit the log, no sigy, hit the delete on the "find". Just doing the responsibility of owning a cause and deleting any log's that appear to be bogus and off-topic. ;) If it happens on your cache again then you may consider contact your local reviewer for help. Also you may e-mail them to let them know you're deleting the log.

I saw the log of a cacher that travels around and has over 10k finds (I think it is 15k though). They wrote found the spot where it probably should have been empty. Left angel cache. Then they logged a find. :D:D

Now that's a new one, "angel cache". One person's angel cache is another person's throw-down film can junk. :laughing:

I had not encountered this phenomenon until last weekend in Nashville during GeoWoodstock VII. See this cache - lots from both the CT cacher who replaced the (possibly) missing container, and the CO who didn't mind. ;)

Makes me wonder if perhaps they have an automatic login set up for their account, and unknown to them someone is being a bit naughty. Perhaps a message asking if they did actually post these logs is in order?

I did Email them, so did my friend, several times, they never reply.

No reply to email + no physical log = deletion of online log IMO. Don't know if I would take it further, but would keep a close eye on their logs from now on. If it does continue...then I guess Groundspeak/geocaching.com need to know? BTW, do we know if they are actually in North America, or not.............just a thought!

I saw the log of a cacher that travels around and has over 10k finds (I think it is 15k though). They wrote found the spot where it probably should have been empty. Left angel cache. Then they logged a find. :D:D

Now that's a new one, "angel cache". One person's angel cache is another person's throw-down film can junk. :laughing:

I had not encountered this phenomenon until last weekend in Nashville during GeoWoodstock VII. See this cache - lots from both the CT cacher who replaced the (possibly) missing container, and the CO who didn't mind. ;)

Tossing out a container when one can not be found and not logging a DNF. Down here in Texas, that is considered bad form. Why even use a GPSr? Just drive by the general area, throw an Altoids tin out the window and post a smiley.

Tossing out a container when one can not be found and not logging a DNF. Down here in Texas, that is considered bad form. Why even use a GPSr? Just drive by the general area, throw an Altoids tin out the window and post a smiley.

It should be bad form anywhere. For some people it actually is all about the numbers.

A serious comment (for a change :unsure:) on this one: I suspect Max & Mary Ann have had their account hijacked or something along those lines. Reading their early logs, it's obvious that they're an older couple doing some geocaching with their daughter and son-in-law. Pretty normal and straightforward.