GPX eXchange File missing entries

CachedCzechs

The premium feature to download gpx file for a geocache is nice, but I noticed the files do not contain all entries. I would like to parse this file for caches I own for the purpose of creating a replacement log. A replacement log is simply a list of previous finders and found on dates for this cache to replace a missing or damaged paper log. I could just parse the "View them all on one page" page, but that would be against the overly restrictive terms of service. Does anyone know of a workaround to download all log entries? Does anyone know if this is a known bug? Reply to this fomum or email me at dale AT czexan . net

Thanks,

Dale

A pocket query returns the last five logs for each cache, plus all logs for that cache made by your account.

Downloading a GPX file directly from the cache page returns the last twenty logs.

That is how the system is designed, so you likely aren't experiencing a bug or error.

I'm sure that someone will stop by shortly to suggest a screen scraping solution. :(

I'm sure that someone will stop by shortly to suggest a screen scraping solution. :(

Will this get that person in trouble. If not try GSAK and addlog macro. If yes, ignore that suggestion please.

That is a very interesting question and one I doubt any lackey will comment on. However, what is on the cache page is the owners data not groundspeacks data. So are are you in violation of the TOU if your just reading your data? don't know. Once we were in a discussion about sharing PQ, which according to the TOU is not allowed. A well known lackey dropped by and made this comment ...

On a completely unrelated note...

Record companies impose strict limits on the use of their music, because to do otherwise would weaken their ability to control it. I'm certain that, privately, they don't care if you make a copy for your brother so the two of you can listen to it in his car, but you'd be hard pressed to get them to admit it.

So not sure what the answer is.

Jim

Does anyone know if there is a way to download ALL logs for a cache?

If wanted all the logs for "a cache" or a couple caches of my own like the OP wants to create a log book, I would not get all too technical. I would open cache page, click link on bottom stating show all logs, take my mouse and select all those logs, right click, pick copy, open up MS Word and do a paste. Would this be considered screen scraping I don't know... I would only do that a cache or two and I would not be too overly concerned.