Farthest FTF

I got FTF on this one: Yahualica. It had been published for over 2 years and was 1980 miles away from where I live! No one seems to do much Geocaching in that part of Mexico it seems. I went ahead and published 2 of my own in the town I was staying in, (GC4C31N & GC4C32F) let's see how long it will take or even if anyone gets FTF on either of them lol.

Edited by Psychoticjester

I put out a cache in Cooperstown NY and was surpised when the first to find was a group of people from Germany.

I'm never surprised to see a cache found by a group of people from German (Greetings from Germany!)

I've done quite a bit of traveling all over the world and it seems that everywhere I go I run into a group from German on holiday.

Probably about 5 miles. These days, if it's more than a mile away, I don't even try. I swear there are FTF hounds in my area that just sit in their cars all day waiting for a new cache to pop up and race off to it. They usually post "just happened to be driving by when the cache was listed". Never had any come up when on vacation.

To me the distance traveled for an FTF, would be the distance you travel from where you were when you became aware of the cache's existance and made the decision to go hunt it! Most on here list the distance from their home coordinates after they managed to find one where they were travelling anyway.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it seems to be a different thing at heart to me.

Of course I don't hunt FTF's that often for that purpose... most are simply closer to me when I cache. Usually much less than 50 km. I do like to read about FTF hunts like the one for 4.5 lb Walleye in that thread on here.

That has been unfound for years. Still, they only decided to make the attempt recently from their home location.

So factor in the driving, canoe trip to the site. No one counts the return journey do they? But it is still part of the FTF experience, however it is often anticlimactic. In this case it's still part of the adventure.

Doug 7rxc