Farthest FTF

I just got a FTF 291 miles from my home. I was wondering what is the farthest away from your home anyone has ever gotten a FTF.

I have two FTFs. One is 983 miles away and the other is 183 miles away. In my area people tend to be retired and can beat any working stiff to a cache. I got lucky on the 983 mile one in Florida, it was just good timing. The 183 one was because of a slow caching community. It had been around all day.

Scott

I just got a FTF 291 miles from my home. I was wondering what is the farthest away from your home anyone has ever gotten a FTF.

I have two FTFs. One is 983 miles away and the other is 183 miles away. In my area people tend to be retired and can beat any working stiff to a cache. I got lucky on the 983 mile one in Florida, it was just good timing. The 183 one was because of a slow caching community. It had been around all day.

Scott

I got my farthest FTF in Florida, too! 659.9 miles away at New Savannas Recreation Area

Wasn't really trying for the FTF but I just happened to run a PQ and noticed a couple of new caches near where we planned to be later that day. I ended up being FTF on two caches about 1995 miles from home. Still like the comment the STF person made ' Well, I'm embarrassed. We let one of them left-coasters (oops, no pun intended) sneak in here and grab a FTF out from under our noses....'

The furthest I've driven was maybe 10 miles.....LOL! I hate to drive.....I'll ride shotgun with you all day though.

My geocaching friend's grandmother is from Ecuador or another country down that direction. He says there are still 9 caches that have never been found and have been out for years. Who's going to go get 'em?

I was actually FTF on a cache in Scranton, Pa. about 200 miles from home as the crow flies. Much further than that on roads, of course. But it turned out to be one of those caches where the cache owner gave the coords to their homeboys before publishing. Good thing I couldn't give a rats a** about who is FTF :P

Our farthest FTF is 2113 miles.

We were visiting Pueto Vallarta, Mexico in August of 08. Drove the rental to Mascota to make the find that was placed by a class of 8 year olds from a German School in Guadalajara....it still hasn't been logged by anyone else. It's a great cache- GC1EA68

What's the farthest distance between 2 FTFs on the same day?

Mine is about 100 miles, we planned an all day hike and a new cache at the summit came out 2 days before. At 6 am the day of the hike as I was getting in my car a cache came out 2 miles from my house and on my way to pick up my friend. (This is also my furthest FTF so far.)

Edited by Roman!

I was able to snag two FTF's on a trip to Wyoming. I visited Yellowstone for a week and a half and then went to Thermopolis for a few days.The caches were around the Thermop area and were published while I was in Yellowstone. Once I was in Thermopolis (and had phone reception again!), a PAF led to pulling up some surrounding caches and she noted that there were some that hadn't been found yet. They had been out for over a week, so the next day I nabbed 'em both. About 950 miles from home.

Our best was 2211 miles or so. I just ran a google map from city to city. We live in West Covina, CA and on our Honeymoon, we went to Juneau Alaska. It sure was nice of them to let us find that FTF. Of course, the locals couldn't find it, but we did 400ft or so away from GZ. :D

I've been able to log a "FTF" on a few caches thousands of miles away. However, it wasn't like I drove or flew there to get that specific FTF. The farthest I've deliberately gone to get a FTF on a new cache is somewhere in the hundreds of miles from home. Someone could happen into Homer, AK today from anywhere in the world and get a FTF on my newest cache here, but it's been out for a while now in context of how long most FTF races go in other places I've lived.

From MD, 4737.5 Miles for the FTF on a traditional (placed a month earlier), and 4705 on an EarthCache (placed 2 months earlier). Both in Brazil and snagged during my trip to the APE cache. For you FTF hounds, can you imagine the butterflies I had wondering if I'd get the FTF... for 2 months?!?

Edited by Corfmania

IM Simonaspetra

This one was 5,186 miles away, and had been out for over two years without a find. Probably because it's on a restricted peninsula that requires a special permit to visit, of which on 10 per day are issued to non-orthodox visitors like myself. Mount Athos, in Greece. I highly recommend a visit, and not for caching purposes.

Oh, and you have to be male - no women have been allowed for over 1000 years.

I have this list of FTF's currently...

•Nevada - GC2ATB4 Nevada Water Torture (9 Miles from home)

•California - GC2Y46A Nooks and Crannies (26.1 Miles from home)

•Louisiana - GC38HEA Champions Square! (1798.8 Miles from home)

•Texas - GC31GXX The Faith cache (1394.8 Miles from home)

•Arizona - GC3QK9M George the 1st (616.5 Miles from home)

•Idaho - GC3T1Z4 Brass Table (319.8 Miles from home)

•Iowa - GC3W3H4 Fore Play (1354.5 Miles from home)

•Washington - GC3YF3X Tillamook 3 (STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE) (456.9 Miles from home)

•Oregon - GC3YQ0P Cache on a Stick (Motherlode #1) (442.7 Miles from home)

(All distances are from the cache pages.)

LOL soon to be MA, CT, RI, NY, NH or VT!!! :)

Edited by ray461

are you asking what is the furthest we went to get one or the furthest we found one. I know it sounds the same but I have only went 150 miles to get one but went over 600 miles and then found some.

Like I went on vacation with some friends to the Eastern Sierras, and I knew there was a FTF available and though it took another day to go after it once we got there. We did find it.

Another time I went to Oregon to do GC12, GC16 & GC17, and I had notifications on, and 3 popped up on our way there so we detoured slightly to get them.

When we did the 2nd ET Hwy we found 29 FTF on the spaceship which we didn't plan.

are you asking what is the furthest we went to get one or the furthest we found one. I know it sounds the same but I have only went 150 miles to get one but went over 600 miles and then found some.

Like I went on vacation with some friends to the Eastern Sierras, and I knew there was a FTF available and though it took another day to go after it once we got there. We did find it.

Another time I went to Oregon to do GC12, GC16 & GC17, and I had notifications on, and 3 popped up on our way there so we detoured slightly to get them.

When we did the 2nd ET Hwy we found 29 FTF on the spaceship which we didn't plan.

You're onto something here. I was saying nearly the same thing...

There's a difference between happening on a FTF and heading out to get a FTF.

Who is coming to Homer, AK to be FTF on my latest cache? Buy those tickets, rent those cars, mush those doggies...there's a FTF to get! :huh:

7,396.6 miles: A Warrior's View, on the top of Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima. I was lucky enough to get onto a flight while I was in Japan for a couple weeks. It was great to be there for many reasons; finding caches there, let alone getting a FTF, was icing on the cake.

By my count sTeamTraen has the current record. Though a true antipodeal (is that a word?) FTF would be about 12,450 miles, so there's still room at the top.

You're onto something here. I was saying nearly the same thing...

There's a difference between happening on a FTF and heading out to get a FTF.

Who is coming to Homer, AK to be FTF on my latest cache? Buy those tickets, rent those cars, mush those doggies...there's a FTF to get! :huh:

For the one I got that was almost 9400 miles from home I did think I might be able to get FTF on in when I was still at home and did a PQ of the area on a Thursday afternoon when the cache was published. I was on a plane the next morning but didn't land in Malaysia until Sunday afternoon. Then, after I checked into my hotel, I got a taxi to the park where the cache was hidden and found the cache. So I did head out, hoping to get a FTF on a specific cache, but obviously flew 9400 miles for reasons other than going geocaching.

I got one a last month in Kuching, Malaysia on a cache that is 9369.9 miles from my home coordinates. GC3VCJM

In the small-world department, so did I - a cache just outside Kuching. But you win in the distance department, because apparently the shortest path from NY to Borneo is right over my house in western Canada.

So I went to the tropics and found a cache 12691 km northwest of home.

North - to the jungle!

I still have a hard time getting my head around that great-circle stuff.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
I got one a last month in Kuching, Malaysia on a cache that is 9369.9 miles from my home coordinates. GC3VCJM

In the small-world department, so did I - a cache just outside Kuching. But you win in the distance department, because apparently the shortest path from NY to Borneo is right over my house in western Canada.

North - to the jungle!

Very cool. I had looked at that cache and considered the possibility of trying to find it during the one free afternoon I had that week. I'm surprised that BernGPS didn't find it (he may have looked for it but didn't log a DNF) when he found the other cache in that area. He's the CO for the Reservoir Park, and China Friendship Garden caches.

North - to the jungle!

Very cool. I had looked at that cache and considered the possibility of trying to find it during the one free afternoon I had that week. I'm surprised that BernGPS didn't find it (he may have looked for it but didn't log a DNF) when he found the other cache in that area. He's the CO for the Reservoir Park, and China Friendship Garden caches.

Hi NYPaddleCacher,

First time I really read the forum here. Surprised to see my nic mentioned here.

Yes, I did try to search for the cache that Viajero Perdido FTF. But with 2 young daughters in tow and the hoards of mosquitoes demanding for blood donation on top of a muggle friend waiting at the Prayer Centre, I gave up searching after 30 minutes. I didnt log a DNF cos I will return some day.

North - to the jungle!

Hi NYPaddleCacher,

First time I really read the forum here. Surprised to see my nic mentioned here.

Yes, I did try to search for the cache that Viajero Perdido FTF. But with 2 young daughters in tow and the hoards of mosquitoes demanding for blood donation on top of a muggle friend waiting at the Prayer Centre, I gave up searching after 30 minutes. I didnt log a DNF cos I will return some day.

Yea, I noticed that Sarawak has a few mosquitos...though I really didn't get out into the jungle other than to the cultural village at Santubong. I really enjoyed Kuching though. Good to see you here. I'm not sure I've seen any other posts here from a geocacher from Malaysia.

Yea, I noticed that Sarawak has a few mosquitos...though I really didn't get out into the jungle other than to the cultural village at Santubong. I really enjoyed Kuching though. Good to see you here. I'm not sure I've seen any other posts here from a geocacher from Malaysia.

I only started reading this forum to try to see the current GC issues. There are a few Malaysian geocachers here . So far I have met Turbosnail, robojsl and offseid.